IGNORED

JAGUAR-HSC September-Zool 2 - 251,625

doctorclu

This will be our game of the month till October 8th.

** EXTENDED to Friday October 10 at 6 pm CST **

Atardi --------------- 277,150

KevinCal ----------- 251,625

Isgoed ------------- 119,515

Famicommander --- 57,260

Darthkur ------------ 55,295

DoctorClu ----------- 50,455

ViMaster ------------ 43,600

Tweety ------------- 34,855

RoadRunner -------- 16,140

post-4709-1220722039_thumb.jpg

So the Jaguar has mutilple mascot type games, as I illustrated in my spoof picture of Atari Karts and how I wish they used the other mascots in that game. Maybe one day we'll find the source for this game and we can change the sprites accordingly....

post-4709-1220722137_thumb.jpg

So the Jaguar had Bubsy and Zool, both which were carried over from the Sega Genesis, and then Rayman, a character we got who was just starting out, and would be pulled for the Playstation.

I actually have the first Zool for the Genesis. I might try it during this contest, but Zool 2 I've played a lot. It didn't grab me like Bubsy, but having played Sonic (and how that also didn't grab me) I can say that Zool is a lot more like Sonic than Bubsy. :D Of the three for the Jaguar (Zool2, Bubsy, Rayman) Zool is the most swift and speedy of them all.

What is Zool supposed to be? An Ant?

post-4709-1220722563_thumb.jpg

Oh yeh, a ninja Gremlin, but I hope to find out more about Zool this month.

As for the gameplay, easy is fine, play, submit a score. Good luck!!

Edited by kevincal

The final score might have been a few points more but it's all but impossible to to keep track of what you doing in the game, plus watching to see when you're going to die so you can hit the pause button before the game over screen pops up. Which is about a nanosecond after your final life gets killed. :x So I end up have to pause it a bit before I might cash in and get a screen shot just in case. I guess whomever programed this game really didn't care much if you knew your final score.

post-10357-1221003824_thumb.jpg

Actually there is a "Hi-Score" screen in Zool 2. You just have to go to the title screen and let the demo run for a minute or 2 and then the hi-score screen will pop up. Also when you lose all of your lives it takes you to the hi-score screen to enter your name does it not? Or maybe you have to reach a certain number to break onto the hi-score table, I forget what the presets are.

This just in... I hate this game.

LOL! Thanks for the score.

It FEELS like Sonic, and I've felt that if I gave it some time (like I did Bubsy) I could really enjoy this game. You know, give it a chance to learn the moves. With Zool I noticed some interesting moves...

1) I believe jump and pushing the d pad up makes Zool a whirling dirvish with his swords. Good for hacking open those eggs on pedistals in the first level for example.

2) There is an area where you have these pillars hanging from the sky. You can jump on them, and pushing the stick towards the pillar lets you go around the pillar.

When I last played it I felt I was getting the controls enough for it to be fun, but then again, you have beat my score so far. :D

This just in... I hate this game.

LOL! Thanks for the score.

It FEELS like Sonic, and I've felt that if I gave it some time (like I did Bubsy) I could really enjoy this game. You know, give it a chance to learn the moves. With Zool I noticed some interesting moves...

1) I believe jump and pushing the d pad up makes Zool a whirling dirvish with his swords. Good for hacking open those eggs on pedistals in the first level for example.

2) There is an area where you have these pillars hanging from the sky. You can jump on them, and pushing the stick towards the pillar lets you go around the pillar.

When I last played it I felt I was getting the controls enough for it to be fun, but then again, you have beat my score so far. :D

To me, it seems the movement during a jump is way too touchy. You can fly off to the left or right very easily and that makes it hard.

The other thing is that the up button is a jump as well as A, so I'm running to the right and sometimes I may accidentally activate the up button just barely and I jump where I'm not supposed to.

I think the whirling helicopter attack is actually jump & attack together (A & B.) Those little annoying bugs that are really small have to be shot in order for you to not lose health, I believe. If I remember right when I was playing it earlier today, you can't use the helicopter attack and jump on top of them. I think it actually hurts you.

It seems the hit detection is way off, too. You can throw your little peas or whatever they are and you'll hit those little bug things even when the "pea" is well above them.

I dunno, I probably won't play it again... maybe I will... we'll see.

Good suggestion on the "Jaguar: Official Gamer's Guide" byt Zach Meston & J. Douglas Arnold. Good material, in short worth the $6 you can buy it on Ebay. But for the enjoyment of those trying out Zool2 right now...

(Still impressed that they as gamers could figure out so much about these games so early on in the Jaguar scene. Stlll impressed on what they knew on Bubsy).

post-4709-1221683743_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683748_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683753_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683761_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683766_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683771_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683774_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683778_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683783_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683788_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683792_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683797_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683803_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1221683807_thumb.jpg

Thanks doc. Ok, no excuses why you all can't beat the game on easy now... ;)

Thanks and I agree. :D

New score 50,455

Coming along on this... make it to like level 4 and saw the bonus round. I should have owned the bonus round, but still getting used to the controls.

TURN INERTIA OFF! That helps a lot.

Not sure if I like Zool or Zooz (the girl) better.

Oh, once I learned that the Bubsy trick of landing on the opponent worked, I found that easier to use than the shots you fire strangely enough.

Edited by doctorclu

Played a cheat game last night. I advise that to anyone here trying to better themselves in Zool. You get used to the controls, get a feel for the controls in the bonus round... and get a feel for how the maps work.

Notible things from my 200K game that I played up to mountain Icey levels:

1) The bonus rounds controls are goofy. You can have inertia turned off, but it still applies there. If you BEAT the level, the bonus round does not bring another level, but just leaves you with an empty screen to bounce a ball in.

2) In the snake levels there are platforms that have cubes with down arrows on them... walk across those and the arrow boxes fall down to make platforms underneath it. Also in the snake levels there is this flying snake that you can ride. Looks kinda like a dildo. :P

3) In the Egypt and Icey levels you will have square flickers. Shoot them and they become solid platforms. (In the Icey levels they are ice cube that, like ice, are temporary.)

Overal I think Zool2 for the Jaguar is the best graphics while the gameplay is about the same, at least like the Zool in the Genesis version. I have just hunted down a online resource with Amiga disk images for Zool and Zool2, so I plan to try those out soon. From what I see of the Zool2 Amiga screenshots, the Jaguar still looks like the most crisp graphics, but I intend to try this out.

Kinda the same for Bubsy BTW. The Jaguar is the 2nd most crisp in graphics, speed and gameplay. Not counting Bubsy 3D for the Playstation (which the 2D Jaguar version still looks more polished) the MOST polished is Super Bubsy for the PC.

You don't even want to know how many times I died and scored below 10 thousand before getting that.

Nice! 2nd place so far.

Yeh the game is a learning curve.

I tried to see if I could get the Amiga folk to bring the game to the last meeting last night so I could see the Amiga version of Zool 2 but no nice. But they said they would bring the Amiga CD32 in the near future.

I have tried several times to boost my Zool score, but this resulted only in lower scores... Don't like these run and jump games a lot, I don't have the skills for it I think :D But will try again soon... <sigh>

Edited by Tweety

Yup it was me... ;) Hey, I only have like 7 Jag games... Heh. I sold most of my collection... I don't have many options for the HS contests!

Sold your collection and kept seven eh? What seven did you keep?

At the height of my Jag collecting, I had something like 40-50 Jag/Jag CD games in all. The 7 I kept are the 7 original games I had back in 1994 when I first got my Jag. Can't beat the nostalgic factor! ;) Oh ya, here's the 7 games I kept... :P

Cybermorph

Doom

Tempest 2000

Wolfenstein 3D

Iron Soldier

Alien vs. Predator

Zool 2