IGNORED

Does this price seem excessive to you?

AtariLeaf

post-2493-1221567353_thumb.jpgOk I'll admit I've been away from the collecting scene lately so I may be wrong. I placed a local Kijiji ad looking for atari systems and games. One woman emailed me and told me she had a system with 31 games. So I emailed back asking for a list of games and a price she's looking for. Here's what I got back:

31 games

-Millipede $4.00

-Chopper Command $4.00

-Space Invaders $4.00

-Donkey Kong $6.00

-Football $3.00

-Defender $4.00

-E.T. $3.00

-Pac-man $3.00

-Frostbite $10.00

-Q bert $5.00

-Seaquest $5.00

-Enduro $3.00

-Berzerk $3.00

-Pole Position ('Rare' missed spelled label) $15.00

-Dig Dug $4.00

-Towering Inferno $4.00

-Combat with book $4.00

-Asteroids with book $4.00

-Vanguard $3.00

-Video Olympics $4.00

-Yars Revenge $4.00

-Warlords $3.00

-Battlezone $3.00

-Pressure Cooker $4.00

-Star Raiders $3.00

-Soccer $3.00

-Air Raiders $3.00

-Tron Deadly Discs $5.00

-Missile Command $4.00

-Robinhood/Sir LanceLot ( Double Game) $12.00

Total of cost for the games is- $139.00

To game systems, 4 controllor, and wires. The only thing it doesn't have is the game switch.

For the system, games, and etc. We are asking $125.00 and we will deliver to you door

I guess the double ender sounds about right but $10 for frostbite? $15.00 for the misspelled pole position? $6.00 for a Coleco DK? Most of those are $1 games, perhaps $2 tops right?

There's a gemini, and a junior in the lot with a few joysticks, etc but if this lot went on ebay I'm sure it wouldn't get over $60-$70

Am I crazy or is she. Here's a pic she sent.

post-2493-1221567353_thumb.jpgOk I'll admit I've been away from the collecting scene lately so I may be wrong. I placed a local Kijiji ad looking for atari systems and games. One woman emailed me and told me she had a system with 31 games. So I emailed back asking for a list of games and a price she's looking for. Here's what I got back:

31 games

-Millipede $4.00

-Chopper Command $4.00

-Space Invaders $4.00

-Donkey Kong $6.00

-Football $3.00

-Defender $4.00

-E.T. $3.00

-Pac-man $3.00

-Frostbite $10.00

-Q bert $5.00

-Seaquest $5.00

-Enduro $3.00

-Berzerk $3.00

-Pole Position ('Rare' missed spelled label) $15.00

-Dig Dug $4.00

-Towering Inferno $4.00

-Combat with book $4.00

-Asteroids with book $4.00

-Vanguard $3.00

-Video Olympics $4.00

-Yars Revenge $4.00

-Warlords $3.00

-Battlezone $3.00

-Pressure Cooker $4.00

-Star Raiders $3.00

-Soccer $3.00

-Air Raiders $3.00

-Tron Deadly Discs $5.00

-Missile Command $4.00

-Robinhood/Sir LanceLot ( Double Game) $12.00

Total of cost for the games is- $139.00

To game systems, 4 controllor, and wires. The only thing it doesn't have is the game switch.

For the system, games, and etc. We are asking $125.00 and we will deliver to you door

I guess the double ender sounds about right but $10 for frostbite? $15.00 for the misspelled pole position? $6.00 for a Coleco DK? Most of those are $1 games, perhaps $2 tops right?

There's a gemini, and a junior in the lot with a few joysticks, etc but if this lot went on ebay I'm sure it wouldn't get over $60-$70

Am I crazy or is she. Here's a pic she sent.

Pay $12 for the Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot game. That is a very good deal.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay more then $55 for the whole thing. She doesn't realize that people don't pay that much for commons, and especially when they are in a lot. I'd only pay that too cause there is a Gemini in there.

The RH/SL is a good deal though. For some reason this cart always goes cheap. I picked up one with a nice minty label for $18 a few years back when loose carts were still going high. :D

Just noticed they listed it on Kijiji themselves. The crazy thing is they took out the double ender from the listing because I emailed that I'd buy it from her but they left the prices all the same and its still in the picture. :roll:

I'd be very curious if anyone bought it at that price.

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-vi...QQAdIdZ74719636

Edited by AtariLeaf

When you post here at AA asking peoples opinions on whether you paid too much,theres always some who will say you did.Are you happy with what you bought?,thats what counts!People will ALWAYS say you paid too much for ANYTHING you buy,a car,furniture,etc.

Oh I certainly didn't buy the lot. I have in the past paid $4 or $5 for a cart or two locally only because I know that if I buy it online, there's shipping, etc that puts that cart near that price anyway. As another poster mentioned, its when you price carts like that in a large lot, you're getting into crazy territory.

Actually, I'd offer 100 bucks and see if she bites. Yeah, it's a little overpriced, but the switch box is easily replaced by a little plug you can get for like 3 bucks that not only replaces the box, but gives you MUCH improved video quality. That combo paddle/joystick is pretty cool, too. And a Gemini? Damn, that's REALLY cool! I have never seen one of those in the wild!

• 2 weeks later...
When you post here at AA asking peoples opinions on whether you paid too much,theres always some who will say you did.Are you happy with what you bought?,thats what counts!People will ALWAYS say you paid too much for ANYTHING you buy,a car,furniture,etc.

You're over simplifying it.

If you paid $25 for a single scoop icecream cone, it don't matter how happy you are, you still over paid by $23.50, and no amount of denial changes that.

Stuff costs what it costs, and if you pay more then that, then you over paid. Simple as that. It's why I shop at Walmart. Why pay $2.79 for something when you can get the same thing for $1.37. :ponder:

I posted this in the Thrift finds thread but I did get the lot - for $50 :D

I talked her down when I balked and no one else on Kijiji would bite.

I figure the double ender and the gemini alone were about worth that.

Well you got a deal. $125 is what someone would try to get with handling selling all that on eBay. I hate it when people/shops try to justify charging $5 for a $1 game because you would have to pay $4 to ship if you bought online... THERE HAS TO BE A BENFIT TO BUYING in real life.

AX

You're over simplifying it.

If you paid $25 for a single scoop icecream cone, it don't matter how happy you are, you still over paid by $23.50, and no amount of denial changes that.

Stuff costs what it costs, and if you pay more then that, then you over paid. Simple as that. It's why I shop at Walmart. Why pay $2.79 for something when you can get the same thing for $1.37. :ponder:

Fair enough thats your take on it,heres mine...Would you pay $25.00 for a gourmet hamburger,probably not,but,lots of people do,rich or not,and if you ask them was it worth it,they'll say"indeed it was" :)It is the individuals right and business to decide on whether or not they paid too much,not everyone else,but yes,if you ask,you'll get replies.Prices vary everywhere,whos too high?whos cheaper?Is there a red book value for what food or whatever SHOULD cost?Cars do,but its just a guide,same for classic games,its what people are WILLING to pay.Even something you bought at Wal-Mart can be found cheaper else where,which ive discovered as true lots of times,and people will tell you that constantly,and it gets annoying,thats what i was saying :) I,myself dont see a need to tell people they paid too much,cus i feel its none of my business,thats all.If one asks and wants other peoples opinions,fine,for myself i dont tell anyone what i paid for anything,cus they'll always say"you paid too much"always obviously in a belittling way,and thats annoying,but thats me,others feel differently,not trying to push my values on anyone here.

Edited by Rik

Well you got a deal. $125 is what someone would try to get with handling selling all that on eBay. I hate it when people/shops try to justify charging $5 for a $1 game because you would have to pay $4 to ship if you bought online... THERE HAS TO BE A BENFIT TO BUYING in real life.

People make this claim often but I'm not sure I understand why. There are lots of benefits to buying in real life...

- You get to see the actual items you're considering buying to judge their value

- There's less of a risk of default by either party

- You can get an immediate response if you have a question or want to make an offer

- You don't have to pay shipping charges

- You receive the item right away.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay more for an item in person than I would on eBay. I definitely agree that people shouldn't expect to get the highest price they've seen something sell for on eBay but if we're talking about what something normally goes for on eBay, I certainly don't see anything wrong with anyone asking for that amount locally.

The reason $50 was about the highest I'd go was because she was being a little fibber too. When asked if she tested everything and that it worked she was quick to say it worked great. However, her email clearly said she didn't have the tv switch box. :ponder:

When I got there in person it became "Well we haven't played it in years but it worked the last time we used it" (BTW, I love that line, I see it on ebay all the time even though the last time they may have used it was the 70's :D )

The reason $50 was about the highest I'd go was because she was being a little fibber too. When asked if she tested everything and that it worked she was quick to say it worked great. However, her email clearly said she didn't have the tv switch box. :ponder:

You don't need the "switchbox" to connect it to a TV, so that in and of itself doesn't mean much.

You don't need the "switchbox" to connect it to a TV, so that in and of itself doesn't mean much.

You mean those little coaxial rca adaptors? I doubt she had one but you never know.

You mean those little coaxial rca adaptors? I doubt she had one but you never know.

Amung other ways.

If you don't care about picture quality and just want to see if the thing is working, you don't really even need to connect the thing at all. Tho it really depends on the tv for how well something like that will work.

Depends on how technical and smart she is and how much common sense she has. :ponder: ;)

Fair enough thats your take on it,heres mine...Would you pay $25.00 for a gourmet hamburger,probably not,but,lots of people do,rich or not,and if you ask them was it worth it,they'll say"indeed it was" :)

Still not the same thing. When you pay $25 for a gourmet hamburger, a gourmet chef is creating it to whatever outlandish style warrents charging $25 for it. If someone went to a gourmet resturant, ordered the $25 hamburger, and they bring out a plate with a Burger King Whopper Jr on it (still in the BK wrapper), I think they would probably raise a stink about it.

If you want a chair to sit on, you have to ask yourself what you want. You can buy a $5 made in china molded plastic lawn chair, or $500 on a nice padded leather recliner. They are not the same thing beyond being something to sit on and thusly don't cost the same. If you wanted the $500 chair, of course you would be happy with it at that price, despite things to sit on being available for less when it's not what you want. The problem is when you want that $5 molded plastic lawnchair, and you had to pay $500 for it.

That's the kind of situation you have in situations like this. We're not talking about things of the same/simmilar nature. Not Great Value teabags vs Lipton teabags, Seagate 1TB HD's vs Western Digital 1TB HD's, $5 chairs vs $500 chairs. No, we're talking about things that are "exactly the same item". Same make/model/sku. Combat; the $0.25 cent one at the fleamarket and the $500 one in the "uber rare" ebay auction are both the exact same 1977 Atari cartridge, the same exact cartridge's people like Al and CPUWIZ destroy to make repros and homebrew carts. So there is no value, advantage or satisfacation in paying more then it's accepted worth, because unlike that gourmet hamburger, you're not getting anything (not even the privilage of seeing the name of the chef in fancy script on the menu or the ambience of sitting in a gourmet resturant) for the extra money.