IGNORED

Opinions on those dual use systems...that play both NES and SNES

thomas3120

Greetings,

Just wondering what you guys think on those aftermarket dual use systems out there.

I was thinking of getting an original NES. But I remember all the problems with some carts not working, having to blow air into the cart to make it work.

So I was thinking of getting one that has the NES and SNES cart ports.

Can you play games that use the NES lightgun and other special controllers (NES or SNES)?

How is the quality of these systems?

Any input appreciated

t

Edited by thomas3120

Yes, it would be good to hear comments from actual owners. I'm not huge into NES/SNES - but I could see getting a machine like this that let me play a few carts of favorites.

Short version: They're not bad, but they're not great. Some carts are incompatible, and the sound quality ranges from "Just a teensy bit off" to "godawful". If you're playing just a few games, I could see going for a dual system. If you're wanting to get serious, nothing can replace the real thing.

I've got the version that plays NES and Genesis (Mega Drive). It will run most of the Sega games with accurate graphics and sound, but the fail rate for the NES is far too high. Maybe 1 in 5 games won't even start, and some of those that do have tile glitches or sound distortion, or they don't play at constant speed. I'm not sure if my unit uses the same NES emulation chip as the NES / SNES unit, but if so I'd recommend avoiding it.

Pay a little extra and get a NES toploader instead - 100% success, and none of the maintenance problems of the Mattel version of the console!

RetroDuo is the best by general consensus. And it is good, but it wasn't good enough. Certain NES games (especially konami titles) had sound problems, it's incompatible with a couple snes titles and s-vid only works in snes mode. As far as the retro duo taking accessories I can't tell you if it takes SNES accessories like the superscope, since my TV doesn't work with it anyhow. I will say that my SN programpad controller only works in snes mode--but I haven't seen any other controller incompatibilities. In short, it was close, but it wasn't quite good enough so I went back to my toaster NES, bent the connector pins to remove the 'ZIF' and disabled lockout.

I also have a GN Twin, which is an updated version of the GenX console and it's *GODAWFUL*. The nes buttons (a&b) are reversed on the controller, it only uses the awful controllers it comes with (it does not take genesis controllers), NES games generally have color AND sound problems, along with the usual NES compatibility issues, so in short don't even think of buying one. In case anybody would be silly enough to ask, it has been tested with 32x and powerbase converter (both require some modifications to get them hooked up) and neither work. There is no slot for segaCD--I'm just beating a dead horse now, don't buy it.

I also have a GN Twin[...]. In case anybody would be silly enough to ask, it has been tested with 32x and powerbase converter (both require some modifications to get them hooked up) and neither work.

Wrong and double-wrong. I own a Gen-X and Master System games will load, but there are several major issues:

1) D-pads don't respond in Master System mode

2) Two-Mega carts display graphical garbage

3) Four-Mega carts(After Burner, and the like) don't load at all

The 32X also works just fine on the Gen-X, but it too has problems:

1) All sound output from the 32X is missing(play After Burner Complete and you'll see what I mean)

2) No way to mix video signals

I'm currently trying to fix the 32X problems, as well as fix the incredibly distorted and scratchy audio coming out of the Genesis side. Once that's done, I'll have it documented.

The NES side on that thing seems to be the exact same thing as the Generation NEX. Castlevania III gives the dark green screen and Rad Racer II causes a no-power situation(here's video proof of those 2(my own), as well as some other games working on the Gen-X: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31iD6lg8DSk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwYDPJIPfNo)

With NES/Super NES 2-in-1s, unless you buy the non-jeweled FC Twin, the sound issues are done. Konami NES games HATE the RetroDuo, however. The FC Twin is better if you play a lot of Konami NES games, but it still has problems with Castlevania III(it will crash when you enter Stage 1). It's also semi-compatible with Rad Racer II. It works, it's playable, but the graphics are corrupt. Super NES is the same, pretty much, on both ends, EXCEPT the FC Twin has a major plus: you can add a Super NES lockout chip(from a cartridge, not from a Super NES system). This means all that crap going on with Nintendo SA-1 games will be a thing of the past. I actually already added a lockout chip into my FC Twin, just in case I one day buy a game containing the SA-1 co-processor. I say if you don't care about any of the games that have compatibility problems on the FC Twin, play lots of Konami NES and own any games containing the SA-1 co-processor(Super Mario RPG, for example), then get the FC Twin. If you don't play any Konami games, don't care about games containing the SA-1 co-processor and play any of the games the FC Twin has trouble with, then get a RetroDuo.

I also have a GN Twin[...]. In case anybody would be silly enough to ask, it has been tested with 32x and powerbase converter (both require some modifications to get them hooked up) and neither work.

Wrong and double-wrong. I own a Gen-X and Master System games will load, but there are several major issues:

You confuse me. you're calling me wrong and confirming me correct?

nevermind, I guess I don't really care.

Edited by Reaperman

I only tested Top Gun on the RetroDuo(Black/Red model), and all you hear is the bass and drums(noise/DPCM(if Top Gun even makes use of it) and Triangle). The melody(Square channels) is muffled to the point where it's nearly impossible to hear the Square channels. That's the reason why I own an FC Twin. I have A LOT of Konami games, and if I put a Gradius game(Gradius, Salamander/Life Force, Gradius II) in the NES slot and am greeted to garbled music, I'd get rid of a RetroDuo in a hurry. However, I have to find out where the FC Twin outputs its sound on the NES side, as I have to fix 2 sound problems:

-The Square channels are a little too loud(Triangle and Noise are slightly overpowered, but DPCM is VERY hard to hear)

-The Square channels have some kind of filtering going on. Here's what I mean: if you play Rad Racer on an NES, you'll notice that the engine sound is kinda garbled/staticky, but on the FC Twin(and RetroDuo), it's clean. I have to fix that

Now, the FC Twin also has a tendency to distort DPCM, causing some garbled speech in Gradius II and Top Gun the Second Mission. Is this a flaw in the NOAC design?

Edited by Ace_1

I only tested Top Gun on the RetroDuo(Black/Red model), and all you hear is the bass and drums(noise/DPCM(if Top Gun even makes use of it) and Triangle).

Did you combine the L/R RetroDuo outputs back into a single mono when testing? You need to do that, as the RD NES stereo is the split chip output, and does not sound correct. Same as a real 'stereo' NES mod.

I only tested Top Gun on the RetroDuo(Black/Red model), and all you hear is the bass and drums(noise/DPCM(if Top Gun even makes use of it) and Triangle).

Did you combine the L/R RetroDuo outputs back into a single mono when testing? You need to do that, as the RD NES stereo is the split chip output, and does not sound correct. Same as a real 'stereo' NES mod.

This RetroDuo seemed to be outputting in dual-mono already. I was getting the same sound on both speakers. It's one of the earlier models from around launch.

Whats it doing? As far as I know, no NES titles even were programmed for stereo sound so I'm unsure how the hardware can do what your saying.

I'm sure I'm wrong though, I just don't understand it. My Retro Duo doesn't do it.

Edit - I see NES hardware has a total of five sound channels, so yours is actually splitting that up between the two rather than sending all 5 channels through each audio output?

Edited by Atariboy

What it seems most RetroDuos do(and original hardware can do with a hardware mod) is split the channels like this: Square(2 channels) on one speaker, Triangle/Noise/DPCM on the other(the other 3 channels) This sometimes results is really odd sound. I had tried Donkey Kong and Top Gun on a Black/Red RetroDuo, and while Top Gun was garbled/completely distorted, Donkey Kong was perfect, with the exact same sounds coming out of both speakers. I'm assuming the later RetroDuos(this is an earlier model from approximately April) had a change in hardware in which NES audio is split between the 2 speakers on a TV.

What it seems most RetroDuos do(and original hardware can do with a hardware mod) is split the channels like this: Square(2 channels) on one speaker, Triangle/Noise/DPCM on the other(the other 3 channels) This sometimes results is really odd sound.

Yes, that is what mine does and it is easily observable. And some stuff sounds really wrong with the audio split. ;)

Since I don't own a RetroDuo, nor do I plan on owning one or modifying an NES for Stereo, I will actually record some games' music on an NES emulator to simulate the "Stereo" effect you get.

I actually like it. Only tried one game so far. Now, to see if the Gradius games sound good in Stereo.

Edited by Ace_1

Reaperman, you had stated that they don't work at all. Unless you were trying to say the same thing as me? The way you worded it, it sounds like you're saying that neither the 32X or Master System games work at all on the GN Twin and Gen-X.
If you consider non-functioning controllers in SMS mode and no sound in 32x mode as "working" then I suppose you are correct.

I just don't really "get" the point of all these clones when the original hardware is just so cheap and easy to find, especially Sega Genesis!