IGNORED

kat5200 build testing

eegt97

Hi, I have a new release coming out soon and was hoping to get some feedback and bug reports. Here's what's new:

* GUI

- General Improvements

- Added Launcher to support Favorites list

- Added Atari 800/XL/XE images to Launcher list

- Added several User keys

* Video

- Changed drawing (less tearing?)

- Added 16/32-bit video modes

- Added Fullscreen mode configuration

- Added NTSC filter (thanks Blargg)

- Added 3x scaling

- Added Screenshots

* Core

- Atari 800/XL/XE support (see documentation)

- Fixed PM graphics in hi-res again (Bounter Bob Counter)

- Added PAL support

- Added INS instruction (Pac Pollux crash, slampam reported)

* Misc

- Changed configuration to SQLite database

- Improved directory handling (Frontends, Drag-N-Drop)

- Updated to latest GuiChan version

- Added INNO setup for Windows

- Now open source

- NOT backward compatible with previous versions

Get it here: http://code.google.com/p/kat5200/

Some things I'm interested in knowing:

* All 8-bit images I know about (i.e. in the database) should work as far as using the correct machine, BASIC, ram size without the user needing to set those things. Let me know if that works. Also, for cassette images, you may need to disable the SIO patch, it needs a little improvement. Now that I think about it, you also need to hit space bar on boot to bring up a cassette.

* The Launcher by default only lists images for the current machine in one long list. I think what may be best are the options to show all the images for all machines and tab them by the type of image. Play around with these options and let me know what you think.

* Do the input and video configuration options make sense? Since I don't have documentation yet how easy is it to use?

* Other bugs / suggestions. There is an issues list on the page above, feel free to enter them there as well.

I have a couple of weeks here where I can't work on it. Seemed like a good time to get a little feedback before I clean up and release.

Thanks!

Sad to say, it didn't work in Vista at all. Said that it failed to load the Side-by-Side configuration file. Considering I love the version I have...version 0.4.0, which I am behind the times obviously...I am anxious to see the finished product. In my opinion, the best 5200 specific emulator out there.

Sad to say, it didn't work in Vista at all. Said that it failed to load the Side-by-Side configuration file. Considering I love the version I have...version 0.4.0, which I am behind the times obviously...I am anxious to see the finished product. In my opinion, the best 5200 specific emulator out there.

Yeah, I forgot something key to this. Can you try to install this and see if it fixes it when you get a chance? I'll fix my installer as soon as I can: Visual C++ 2008 Redist

Edit: Installer has been updated.

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by eegt97

The BEST thing added to this emulator is the NTSC Video...Perfect...Choice of RF, Composite, S-Video, RGB too. I wish Stella and ProSystem would incorporate this feature.

Anyhow...so far I've encountered a problem with mapping Start, Pause, or Reset to a gamepad button. While it registers on the configuration screen, it doesn't respond in-game. If I map the same functions to the keyboard, they work fine.

Other button functions - Top Bottom, Bottom button, even Exit and Back from the Interface configuration works fine when mapped to a gampad button.

EDIT: Correction - Only the Back Comman from the Interface configuration menu works when mapped to a gamepad button. Exit experiences the same issue as Start, Pause, and Reset.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

Things to keep in mind while testing:

Gorf, Kaboom!, Missile Command, Star Wars, and Super Breakout:

Use Simulate Analog checked (ON) for best results

All other Games:

Use Simulate Analog Mode unchecked (OFF) for best results

As a side note, using Saitek P880's the best Analog settings for me are:

Sensitivity 95%

DeadZone 5%

Problem with Montezuma's Revenge - Two different images - Same problem.

If I load the game from within the GUI- A meesage pops up "User Message - Error Loading ROM image".

However, if the image is the last image attempted with Kat, and I just launch the executable - The game loads and plays fine.

-Trebor

Anyhow...so far I've encountered a problem with mapping Start, Pause, or Reset to a gamepad button. While it registers on the configuration screen, it doesn't respond in-game. If I map the same functions to the keyboard, they work fine.

Other button functions - Top Bottom, Bottom button, even Exit and Back from the Interface configuration works fine when mapped to a gampad button.

EDIT: Correction - Only the Back Comman from the Interface configuration menu works when mapped to a gamepad button. Exit experiences the same issue as Start, Pause, and Reset.

-Trebor

I see the issue, thanks. Same problem as #1 input, though I'm surprised #2 worked.

Edited by eegt97

Problem with Montezuma's Revenge - Two different images - Same problem.

If I load the game from within the GUI- A meesage pops up "User Message - Error Loading ROM image".

However, if the image is the last image attempted with Kat, and I just launch the executable - The game loads and plays fine.

-Trebor

Confirmed, and bizarre, not sure what the deal is there... thanks.

"Realsports Soccer" - After the menu selection screen - Crashes - Same thing happens in 0.4.2.

"Atari Diagnostics V2.3" - Refuses to load 'User Message - Error Loading BIOS image'. Loads and works fine in 0.4.2.

Obviously I haven't played soccer in a while, I know it worked at one time. The other one might be that it thinks the image belongs to the 8-bit computer line. I'll check it out. thanks.

Also, the Montezuma's revenge thing should happen with any filename with an apostrophe. It's something I changed recently.

I'm thinking about porting this to PSP, now that it's open source - because the other PSP 5200 emu is incomplete. It uses that awful Atari800win front end, and lots of games don't work, has the second fire button problem on H.E.R.O. and Moon patrol, etc.

But I can't for the life of me find the source files.

Any chance you could post a zipped/rarred source here for the curious?

Here are the listings of the (Realsports) Soccer dumps I have in my possession. They are listed as follows:

My Filename (Varient of No Intro dump info) = Name as appears in 'Kat' Launcher = CRC and Size Info

Realsports Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U).bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari) = CRC: ecbd1853 Size: 16384

Realsports Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U) [a1].bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari)[a] = CRC: 3d75d4dc Size: 16384

Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U).bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari)[b2] = CRC: 295435b6 Size: 32768

Realsports Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U) [a2].bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari) = CRC: 13c459d5 Size: 32768

All four dumps require 32K Standard to run properly. I am not sure what naming or tool is used to recognize the images in the Kat Launcher. I am presuming it is from Good Tools though. Good Tools while 'good' is not always 100% accurate in recognizing good or bad dumps. Then again No Intro is not flawless either.

-Trebor

* Do the input and video configuration options make sense? Since I don't have documentation yet how easy is it to use?

If you are familar with 0.4.2, it's a piece of cake. Since I am, my opinion is probably bias. ;-)

I had controllers/video and all other settings in place easily and quickly.

* Other bugs / suggestions. There is an issues list on the page above, feel free to enter them there as well.

The Video additions are awesome; including the amazing NTSC filter* and fine tuning Video options. Everything looks as it should now.

If possible I would prefer to have a standalone zip file instead of an automatic installer (Or the option to download/choose either).

-Trebor

*I'm hoping this will encourage the Stella and ProSystem author(s) to incorporate these features into their emulator(s).

There is a new installer at the link in my first post with couple of the fixes for Trebor's reports:

- Keypad/Keyboard input not used with Joystick/Mouse buttons

- Files with ' not loaded properly (affects alot of things, will need alot testing)

If you want to keep your configuration, backup your database (kat5200.db3) and then put it back in after installation.

Thanks,

Brian

There appears to be no difference between the S-Video and RGB presets when using the NTSC filter.

-Trebor

Yea, I see that now, I gotta re-evaluate what's what with that. I had some dialog with Blargg a while back about the NTSC stuff, I'll go back and see what I can find.

If possible I would prefer to have a standalone zip file instead of an automatic installer (Or the option to download/choose either).

-Trebor

*I'm hoping this will encourage the Stella and ProSystem author(s) to incorporate these features into their emulator(s).

I'll think about the best way to do the zip file thing. I understand that too, but one thing that is an issue is that you must have the correct C++ runtime libraries installed with the latest Mickeysoft compilers, I can control that through the installer, with a zip, I have to tell the user to download (Since I have the express versions, I'm not sure what the user would need, if anyone can help with that, it would be great).

Here are the listings of the (Realsports) Soccer dumps I have in my possession. They are listed as follows:

My Filename (Varient of No Intro dump info) = Name as appears in 'Kat' Launcher = CRC and Size Info

Realsports Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U).bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari) = CRC: ecbd1853 Size: 16384

Realsports Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U) [a1].bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari)[a] = CRC: 3d75d4dc Size: 16384

Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U).bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari)[b2] = CRC: 295435b6 Size: 32768

Realsports Soccer (1982) (Atari) (U) [a2].bin = Realsports Soccer (1983)(Atari) = CRC: 13c459d5 Size: 32768

All four dumps require 32K Standard to run properly. I am not sure what naming or tool is used to recognize the images in the Kat Launcher. I am presuming it is from Good Tools though. Good Tools while 'good' is not always 100% accurate in recognizing good or bad dumps. Then again No Intro is not flawless either.

-Trebor

I have the one with CRC ecbd1853 and it seems to work fine set to auto (16k two chip). I will find the other 16k and confirm, sounds like there is an issue still. Thanks Trebor for your testing :)