IGNORED

Nintendo Wii 2 by 2010

slosu

By 2010, the current Wii will be 4, going on 5 years old. I know it seems like the system is only now getting off the ground, but that's about par for a console these days.

Personally, I'd like to see them stretch it to 7 years.

I really like the Wii and am excited about a new incarnation. It's the only nextgen system I own as the other 2 dont have games I am interested in. Though a bluray player for cheap would be nice

By 2010, the current Wii will be 4, going on 5 years old. I know it seems like the system is only now getting off the ground, but that's about par for a console these days.

Personally, I'd like to see them stretch it to 7 years.

Agreed. I enjoy my Wii, and it feels like 3rd parties are finally starting to "get it" just a little bit. I'd like to see this generation stretched out longer, though I doubt it will happen. The only things I really want from the Wii are a real storage solution and the Wiimotion Plus (integrated into the Wiimote would be nice).

Nor did it have the balance board. Nor did it have the ability to download NES games. Nor did it have awesome online abilities. Nor did it have the wonder of Tetris Party, which I am now hopelessly addicted to after a long Mario Kart obsession (come to think of it, I don't remember multiplayer Mario Kart being available in 2001, either).

It's true, graphics can only go so far. The best things about the Wii are not necessarily what chips it uses or how the graphics look--it's how much fun you can have with it. And I have a crapload of fun with mine, every day.

This "repackaged Gamecube" assertion is tired. The Wii is (apologies to my beloved Atari 5200) the most fun console I have ever owned. If Nintendo makes something even more fun in 2010, I just may buy it.

Not really. The Wii came out in Nov of 2001....It just didn't have a funky motion controller packaged with it at that time. ;)

does anybody else think 'swordfight' when they hear 'wii 2'?

2010's a ways away, but nintendo has the two best selling game systems on the planet right now, and I don't know that they're going to really wind down by 2010. Maybe really late 2010... By the time wii is replaced, I expect the world will be ready for a nintendo console very different from wii. which is why I also think it will be more of a standard system. powerful graphics, directional control on the left, buttons on the right. I suspect there will be fewer buttons than gamecube next time around.

I'm no wii fan, but nintendo's riding a really nice groove, and I imagine they'll make it last as long as possible. I'd guess late 2009 for a facelift on wii. introducing new colors, upping its storage capacity to bring it larger online downloads, maybe even introducing slightly redesigned controllers (mostly cosmetic redesign). And yes, dropping their price--probably to $150.

Edited by Reaperman

This "repackaged Gamecube" assertion is tired. The Wii is (apologies to my beloved Atari 5200) the most fun console I have ever owned. If Nintendo makes something even more fun in 2010, I just may buy it.

Why? It's simply a fact. Are you suggesting that any of the reasons you mentioned that make the Wii so great in your eyes couldn't have been an add on for the Gamecube?

Tired as it may be...sounds like the Gamecube is your most beloved console. It's just called somthing else now. No need to get defensive because I agree. The Gamecube is a great little console for sure.

Why? It's simply a fact. Are you suggesting that any of the reasons you mentioned that make the Wii so great in your eyes couldn't have been an add on for the Gamecube?

Tired as it may be...sounds like the Gamecube is your most beloved console. It's just called somthing else now. No need to get defensive because I agree. The Gamecube is a great little console for sure.

The controllers could certainly have been GameCube addons, but third developers would be wary of creating games that take advantage of them if they didn't ship with the system.

A better example - WiiWare wouldn't be having titles like World of Goo or Defend Your Castle if the wifi/wii shop channel infrastructure wasn't preinstalled on every Wii (that would have been an expensive, clip-on-the-bottom-like-the-game-boy-player gamecube addon), because the installed base, and the chance for profits, would be much reduced. One could argue that more traditional WiiWare games such as Tetris Party or MegaMan 9 would have come out on disc anyway -- but to me the exciting part is that games created by very small teams (like Goo or Castle) have access to the modern console market via Microsoft, Nintendo, and to a lesser extent Sony.

That's all for now, I'm going to silently pine for Space Giraffe on WiiWare ;)

You are correct. The Gamecube (when augmented with a wide array of nonexistent hypothetical add-ons) is my most beloved console. I am glad we could agree.

Now off to some Mario Kart Wii--er, I mean Mario Kart Gamecube Augmented with a Wide Array of Nonexistent Hypothetical Add-Ons. I will call it GAWWONHA. Play on!

I will call it GAWWONHA. Play on!

Yep! Now you're getting it. That's what I mean, Doesn't matter what you call it, you could call it GAWWONHA or name it after your peter, at it's heart, it's a Gamecube.

The only reason many of the add ons are now nonexistent hypothetical, is because Nintendo killed the GC and made everyone rebuy it with the existing actual add-ons. More power to them.

WiiWare is cool though.

part of the problem with the current gen, is price and maybe... just maybe the HD push was a little premature for the mainstream

Not really. PC gaming has been high def for years and MS offered the option to hook up to a pc monitor. I had my 360 hooked up half the time to my monitor until I bought my HDTV.

no I actually think mainstream is driving the HD push, and us gamers are just along for the ride.

almost every sports fan in the US has an hdtv. The bars he goes to have at least a dozen and all his friends have them too. how much more 'joe average' can you get?

No, a 480p wii was a poor choice. well I guess it really does up to 576i... which really isn't much better. Even last gen xbox and ps2 had a small selection of 720p and 1080i titles. Now that might have been jumping the gun

Edited by Reaperman

Even last gen xbox and ps2 had a small selection of 720p and 1080i titles. Now that might have been jumping the gun

For the PS2, it was jumping the gun. I have one Xbox title that runs in 720p, Virtual Pool Tourn. Ed., and it looks beautiful. The only drawback is a loss on the framerate slightly when compared to 480p.

However, the PS2, I have Gran Turismo 4, which had 480i, 480p, and 1080i. And I have to say that, at least on my HDTV? 1080i mode looks God-awful. It looks like they took the original 480p image and tried to upscale it to 1080i, and the pixels really do show. I much prefer 480p mode on that game. So for the PS2, yes... jumping the gun.

As for the Wii, I think Nintendo understood that they had two options. They could make the upper limit 480p and have it look decent. Or they could "emulate" 1080i (as GT4 does) and it would look terrible. So if they couldn't render true HD, they made the right choice in limiting things to a manageable 480p with a 60fps+ framerate on most of its games. Even in spite of this, I have found very few Wii titles that just look completely ugly. And the graphics seem to be improving as time goes along.

For reference on how third parties are getting the gist of it, including how to manage the controls to make a game work, I'd like to direct your attention to The Conduit. (LGT: IGN).