IGNORED

PAL/SECAM/NTCS : Different 800 xl boxes

Marsupilami

I don't know if you have different 800 Xl's boxes but here are mine :

post-21529-1224726730_thumb.jpg

If you look at the bottom one, you'll notice that some NTCS boxes where used by Atari in Europe to embed some SECAM motherboard...

I hope these pictures will help you to easily recognize what you have...

Regards.

Edited by Marsupilami

I don't know if you have different 800 Xl's boxes but here are mine :

If you look at the bottom one, you'll notice that some NTCS boxes where used by Atari in Europe to embed some SECAM motherboard...

It's too bad that Atari never made a true SECAM machine. They did design 600XL and 800XL motherboards to run true SECAM with a different SECAM GTIA, but it never made it to production. I have prototypes of the motherboards in my collection. If Atari had only done that, then the SECAM machines could have had proper colors.

Do you know the monitor jack pinout for the SECAM XL/XE machines? I have a SECAM 130XE, and I would love to try it out on my multisystem monitor. But first I need the pinout.

Edited by Chris Strong

Do all those machines have Parallel Bus labelled as such?

Yes.

Do you know the monitor jack pinout for the SECAM XL/XE machines? I have a SECAM 130XE, and I would love to try it out on my multisystem monitor. But first I need the pinout.

I have it but in french:

Video-alim.gif

Edited by Marsupilami

I have it but in french:

Ah! Wonderful.

Masse is obviously Ground (GND, 0V).

The 800XL NTSC diagram is interesting. Here pin 5 is labeled "NC", but in reality on most Atari computers pin 5 was

Chroma "C" , the component of the composite video less the luminance and sync. The lum/sync pin is also known as "Y". Only during the cheapest days of Jack Tramiel's Atari Corp did pin 5 not have the Chroma line. It was certainly present on the Atari 800 in 1979.

Here, the SECAM port has no Y or C. Interesting. Only composite and Ground.

So "haut niveau" translates as "high level", correct? What output do you normally use to input into a composite monitor?

This would be great if I could get my SECAM 130XE Atari working this weekend. Though I need SECAM 600XL and 800XL to go with it. I bought an Arabic 65XE, thinking it would be SECAM as it came from Egypt, but it turned out to be PAL.

As I recall the SECAM Atari computers only have 128 colors of output, is this correct? I don't have a schematic diagram of any SECAM Atari, except the true-SECAM prototypes.

Thank you so much for your help. I've been trying to get information about the French Atari computers for some time.

Edited by Chris Strong

Masse is obviously Ground (GND, 0V).
Yes.
So "haut niveau" translates as "high level", correct?
Yes. I've never understood the utility of this one...
What output do you normally use to input into a composite monitor?
I don't know: i have a secam TV :)
As I recall the SECAM Atari computers only have 128 colors of output, is this correct? I don't have a schematic diagram of any SECAM Atari, except the true-SECAM prototypes.
Look here:

http://krap.pl/mirrorz/atari/homepage.ntlw...0XLS/800XLS.htm

Thank you so much for your help. I've been trying to get information about the French Atari computers for some time.
You're welcome ;)

I have it but in french:

Video-alim.gif

Well, that SECAM pinout is different from the one I've had in the FAQ for years.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/section-16.html

The issue seems to be, which pin is #3 and which is #6?

Who can verify which is truly correct?

Edited by hunmanik

Well, that SECAM pinout is different from the one I've had in the FAQ for years.

The issue seems to be, which pin is #3 and which is #6?

The DIN plug pins are generally numbered, it won't be that hard.

I did not get down to the local electronics store in town that carries that particular connector yet. I'm going to try tomorrow, then I can verify it.

I suspect the FAQ is wrong, as the ordering of pin 3 makes no sense.