IGNORED

JagCF. Coming Soon or Dead to the World?

the.golden.ax

All the threads I looked at are old, or closed. As a new comer to the party, I'm very interested in this. As a collector, finding liberation in the ability to keep my sealed game sealed, on 2600/7800 with Cuttle Cart 2, I am now looking for the same thing for Jaguar.

AX

Flash solution for the Jaguar: The buzz is that the skunkboard and compact flash will not load the commercial roms that are out there. That is not to say they will not work, just not supported.

Honestly I'm with you, if not for the Cuttle Cart 2 I probably would keep my 7800 packed away. As it is, it gets use, and the 7800 high score thread sees me on there a lot more. And the same goes for the Atarimax flash and the 5200. I have that one set up too. I think more flash users on the Jaguar would only help that more as well.

So let's see, the Atarimax 5200 is $125, the Cuttle Cart was $160, now about $300... and this in mind, the Jaguar flash cart (going for generally $300) is a worthwhile purchase. That was what I did when I wanted to get a Cuttle Cart 2 like solution for the Jaguar.

And while I don't buy EVERY game, I have bought professional games of the 7800 and 5200 that I was able to try (and really liked) trying on the flash solution.

I like what some developers are doing, like Adventure 2 for the 5200... they released the mostly complete game for the flash users, and sell a version a little bit more complete. Awesome. And I think Beef Drop for the 7800 was the same arrangement. Give people a chance to try out games, and those that REALLY want the real thing can buy the limited production runs that tend to exist. :D Just sweet!!

The Jaguar will get there eventually.

Flash solution for the Jaguar: The buzz is that the skunkboard and compact flash will not load the commercial roms that are out there. That is not to say they will not work, just not supported.

:?: Really? I was under the impression that all the previously released ROMs will work okay with the Skunkboard/CF, but that the developers deliberately designed the board such that new 'homebrew' releases can be coded to NOT run on the Skunkboard.

Not all ROMs will work with the Skunkboard. There's lockout for some and the hardware is different enough from the cartridges that others may not work. Thus we don't /support/ loading ROMs. If you try, and it doesn't work, oh well. ;)

The lockout of future work is made simple by the hardware differences, which can not be masked or hidden from the code.

Does Skinkboard work with more than one Rom at a time?
No.

The JagCF will not support more than one ROM at the time, either (actually, you won't be able to start a ROM from a CF card, only by uploading it from a PC).

It will also include hardware-detection features to allow the lockout of future titles by their authors.

Does Skinkboard work with more than one Rom at a time?
No.

The JagCF will not support more than one ROM at the time, either (actually, you won't be able to start a ROM from a CF card, only by uploading it from a PC).

It will also include hardware-detection features to allow the lockout of future titles by their authors.

Hey not bad. Apparently at the base of the memory handling it sounds like CF and Skunkboard (Stinkboard... LOL) handle it about the same. Be interesting to see what is done with the massive stores of CF though.

(Neat to have Tursi and ZeroSquare, two developers from two projects chime in here.)

Thing that sucks about the official Atari Jaguar Flash Cart (which I have, thanks to Jaysmith2000) is that it doesn't seem to work with every game (Wolfenstein being on of them, but I have the actual cart...). Seems all devices of this nature are like this. There is little info known about it besides one link I know of. I guess it's the nature of these kinds of things until a mass produced flash cart like the Atarimax 5200 or Tototek flash carts are made. Speaking of Tototek, I emailed Tomy about a possible flash cart, but no response. Neoflash produces many carts (mostly for GBA/DS) and supposedly working on others, but their newer projects have gone months or longer to come into fruition (their MD cart comes to mind as it has been under development for a Loooooong time).

Thing that sucks about the official Atari Jaguar Flash Cart (which I have, thanks to Jaysmith2000) is that it doesn't seem to work with every game (Wolfenstein being on of them, but I have the actual cart...). Seems all devices of this nature are like this. There is little info known about it besides one link I know of. I guess it's the nature of these kinds of things until a mass produced flash cart like the Atarimax 5200 or Tototek flash carts are made. Speaking of Tototek, I emailed Tomy about a possible flash cart, but no response. Neoflash produces many carts (mostly for GBA/DS) and supposedly working on others, but their newer projects have gone months or longer to come into fruition (their MD cart comes to mind as it has been under development for a Loooooong time).

What is the Tototek?

I think the problem with the Flashcart is us. We are bonehead Jaguar fans trying to use things that developers knew how to use and there were a lot of steps that they took for granted that we're having to learn from the start. Or maybe that's just me. ;)

Now I think as more of us bonehead Jaguar fans tinker with the Flash cart, WE will better document this for other boneheads to use. :P

Speaking of Tototek, I emailed Tomy about a possible flash cart, but no response.

Yeah I think any plans that Neoflash or Tototek had for the Jag seemed to have evaporated. They probably got a look at some of the fanbase and ran away screaming. :P

Wolfenstein doesn't work correctly on the flashcart? I thought I remembered trying that one.

Speaking of Tototek, I emailed Tomy about a possible flash cart, but no response.

Yeah I think any plans that Neoflash or Tototek had for the Jag seemed to have evaporated. They probably got a look at some of the fanbase and ran away screaming. :P

Wolfenstein doesn't work correctly on the flashcart? I thought I remembered trying that one.

Yeh so far. Not really sure why that is.

Here is what it's doing...

I need something soon...so I dont pop open my sealed games. :twisted:

Well, maybe you can talk Buddy Buddies into selling you one of his Flash carts? (Not that he's offered to sell mind you, but he tends to stockpile Jaguar stuff.)

But yeh, one of the reasons I am trying to convince the idea of hosting at least the Atari era (1993-1997) roms here, so that collectors (who have obviously bought the game but want to keep the games sealed) can still enjoy the games.

That's odd. I just tried it out here, and it seems to work fine. Check the MD5 checksum of your file. Mine here is:

3584cb83461c8666a3f28ea0c431a3db *Wolfenstein 3D.bin

Buddies selling any of his Jag stuff? He'd probably sell you some family members first. :P

That's odd. I just tried it out here, and it seems to work fine. Check the MD5 checksum of your file. Mine here is:

3584cb83461c8666a3f28ea0c431a3db *Wolfenstein 3D.bin

Buddies selling any of his Jag stuff? He'd probably sell you some family members first. :P

Well poop! I'll check that.

I need something soon...so I dont pop open my sealed games. :twisted:

Well, maybe you can talk Buddy Buddies into selling you one of his Flash carts? (Not that he's offered to sell mind you, but he tends to stockpile Jaguar stuff.)

But yeh, one of the reasons I am trying to convince the idea of hosting at least the Atari era (1993-1997) roms here, so that collectors (who have obviously bought the game but want to keep the games sealed) can still enjoy the games.

I have half my games sealed.

And games like BKOUT2000, Towers 2, Defender 2000, AVP...ect I like to keep sealed And I hate to buy a 2nd costing me some extra $$$ to buy again just to play. Us Jag owners need some otions too....Maybe one day we will all get lucky.

Bad dump, maybe ?

I'm guessing that's it. Works fine on the Skunkboard and the Flash here. ;)

Nope the dump should be fine. I tried the one Remo Williams has and got the same results.

My Flash cart works good, mostly. Something is not quite right. I've played Atari Karts, Bubsy, Doom, and a few others fine on this cart. However Wolfenstein and some demos are not working well, and the Tiny Toones alpha froze as soon as Plucky Duck came on the screen, but then that is a alpha.

Wanted to see if I could check the revision of my flash cart, maybe it needs upgrading on the Eprom. The eprom says "1995 ATARI CORP FLBOOT.ROM 3/10/95 851D"

The smaller chip next to it is labeled "ORL.JED 75A3"

Appreciate any feedback on how old/new/same this is to what everyone else has. Especially the Flash carts that have loaded Wolfenstein correctly.

Otherwise, I might have a slightly defective flash cart.

I was able to replicate that bizarre behavior it seems. But only if I flash the cart leaving the parallel cable attached, and watch it start the game. Actually I have two parallel cables joined by a gender changer, so I just unplug it there. If I unplug and reboot the Jag, it's fine.

That worked! :D Thanks!

BTW, good advice on the two parallel cable idea. I might take that a step further and try a parallel switch box, but hey, anything to save the wear on a 13 year old cartridge. :) Been getting a lot of good tips in the short time we've talked about the flash carts here.

Edited by doctorclu