IGNORED

Euchre Alpha Released

Albert

http://www.wwnet.net/~eeid/station26/euchre.htmlErik Eid has announced the availability of an Alpha version of his upcoming Atari 2600 game Euchre. Euchre is an adaptation of the card game of the same name that is popular in the midwestern and northeast United States. You can read all about Erik's 2600 version of the game, download the ROM to try in your favorite emulator, and look over the source code at Erik's Euchre Development Page. Erik is presently looking for feedback (in particular regarding the PAL version), and you can discuss any and all aspects of the game here.

I was wondering if people outside the midwest U.S. would be eager to see the game. I'm glad to see there is interest!

Seeing as I only have an NTSC television, I had to approximate the color scheme for PAL using an emulator. (I'm working with Stella 1.2 for Linux.) Therefore, if anyone with a PAL television could please make sure the PAL version has colors close to the NTSC version (see the screen shots on my page) and the display remains stable, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm also looking for comments about the manual, which is available from my development page.

Also, if anyone notices any bugs, please let me know!

Your partner would be the "person" sitting across from you.

We used to play Euchre everyday at lunch....and another job we were supposed to take 2 10 minute breaks and 30 minute "lunch" (this was 2nd shift) we would take 30 minute breaks and 60 minute lunches plus still get done with hour work and play the last 30 - 60 minutes of the shift. :)

Cap

I've played the game on Cyberstella and so far it seems to run OK. I haven't tried anything that would be illegal under Euchure rule or anything crazy (ie frying)

EDIT:

a slight change might help here: when every player passes the first round, and you choose to "pick up", you are presented with a choice of 4 suits. The problem is if the first round was passed, that particular suit is no longer available as a choice for the second round. If you could hide the 4th suit, it would help some less experienced players.

For example, a play to the left turns up a 10 of club and everyone passes, the club sui cannot be choosen as the trump for the second round.

I don't have the speakers installed so I don't know what the sound's like but it would be really cool if there were a way to get synthesized voice of "pass", "pick it up", "alone", the 4 suits, and such. I don't expect to see any though as it's very hard to properly code in synthesized voice.

I just got through playing with the rom on Z26 (we won 10 to 6 BTW), and I must say that this is one of the best 2600 games I've played in a long time. For years I wished for a Eucher game for the 2600 and now we finally have one. You have no idea how many times I looked at the Activision Bridge cart and wished Larry Kaplan had been a Eucher player instead.

Love the game, keep up the good work. If I have one complaint it's that the suit symbols are a little odd looking. Other than that I think the game is perfect (although I didn't try anything too illegal). I look forward to the final release.

Tempest

Great job on the game!! I've never played the actual game, but I'm learning...

Any chance that a game like 'pitch' or setback could be made? It sounds a lot like this game, but has a few different rules: you're trying to capture hi, lo, jack and game and you bid a number of 'points' (2-4).

Anyone else ever here of this? We used to play in college all the time (I'm in the NE). Ttoo much time if I remember correctly... ;)

Just a thought...

Thanks,

I dont have a cuttle cart otherwise Id check it on the TV, but you can send me a cart if you want and I'll test it ;)  

The manual seems OK but when I first started playing I was confused which of the other three players was my partner, I dont think it mentions that.

Adam

If you have a Supercharger, it should work fine with that. I made sure the program doesn't hit the two addresses that need to be avoided. It works on my unmodified Supercharger.

Good catch about not mentioning which players are partners! I'll add that to the manual when I next modify it.

a slight change might help here: when every player passes the first round, and you choose to "pick up", you are presented with a choice of 4 suits.  The problem is if the first round was passed, that particular suit is no longer available as a choice for the second round.  If you could hide the 4th suit, it would help some less experienced players.

(snip)

I don't have the speakers installed so I don't know what the sound's like but it would be really cool if there were a way to get synthesized voice of "pass", "pick it up", "alone", the 4 suits, and such.  I don't expect to see any though as it's very hard to properly code in synthesized voice.

Not only that, but I have less than 50 bytes free, which is not nearly enough to add voice. :)

As for your comment about hiding the suit that was turned down, given that the four suits are read as one "word" and displayed all at once, it would be difficult to modify the game to do that. However, the game does produce a buzzing sound if you try to select that suit - you just didn't hear it since your speakers aren't connected. :)

You have no idea how many times I looked at the Activision Bridge cart and wished Larry Kaplan had been a Eucher player instead.  [snip]  If I have one complaint it's that the suit symbols are a little odd looking.  Other than that I think the game is perfect (although I didn't try anything too illegal).

*laugh* I doubt Euchre would have had quite the potential appeal as Bridge. I did think about buying Bridge until I learned that it was "stunted" - your opponents don't bid!

As for the suit symbols - I based those on the ones in Bridge! :) They were originally identical when the sprites were eight pixels high, but got squished when I went to six pixels to save some space.

Any chance that a game like 'pitch' or setback could be made?  [snip]  Anyone else ever here of this?  We used to play in college all the time (I'm in the NE).  Ttoo much time if I remember correctly... ;)

I never have, but you can get the rules here: http://www.pagat.com/allfours/pitch.html

When it comes to good card games... it's always too much time. :)

In college, me and my partner, Steve Theohares, placed 4th in the Ohio State Euchre Tourney. (Out of 200+teams, I'd say that ain't bad.) With that out of the way:

This is, by far, the most exciting new Atari game that I've played this year. Why? BECAUSE YOU CAN PLAY WITH 1 PERSON! Ever tried to play 2-handed Euchre? Next to impossible. But SOLITAIRE? No way.

Now, it's possible. The computer AI ain't too shabby either. I haven't lost yet, but there have been a couple of "squeekers." (And I have yet to get a good-enough hand to win a "loner."

I *will* be picking this up on cart form when it comes out. It's already eaten away hours of my life. Shooters and puzzle games are great. But a new Atari CARD game? Outstanding. An *excellent* job.

Oh, and a few people have asked: It's pronounced "Yoo-ker."

I love this game. I did minor in Euchre at Ohio State. :D (Snider-Man, are you a buckeye as well? 8) )

I did come across a bug or glitch. Occasionally, one of the computer opponents played card is not displayed. The trick is played out, but I can't see what card was played. This happened three times in the course of a half hour session and on both the left and right side. I'm playing this in Z26 and tried to get a screenshot of it, which I will post if I can.

Now, one thing I would really like to see in this game:

Some type of sound effect or music when you get euchred.

This guy in college always used to yell "euchre" and stretch it out to three sllyables. It pissed me off because I always seemed to be the one getting euchred. It didn't help that his partner always lead him by saying "What's the name of this game?" (We always play Screw the dealer)

Great job on the game. :thumbsup:

I love this game. I did minor in Euchre at Ohio State.  (Snider-Man, are you a buckeye as well?  )

That's what it says on the diploma! Yup, that's where Theo and I made a stand back in - oh - '92 I believe. Long, LONG evenings of Euchre playing. And drinking beer. Actually, both at once.

Gotta ask. HOw do you say Euchre with *3* syllables? Been trying over and over, but I can't figure it out! "Yoo-ker-ee?"

Hey, I graduated from OSU on August 31, 1992. Go Bucks!

Of course you can't play Euchre without Beer. It's why you have two hands, one for the cards and one for the beer.

How to say Euchre in 3 syllables? EEE-youk-ra! :roll: The guy was not the sharpest knife in the drawer and he mangled the english language in other colorful ways. He only lasted 1 and 1/2 quarters before he dropped out, which pisses me off all the more that I lost quite a few games to him. :D

Yet another Ohio State euchre player here, heh heh...

My sophomore year, my dorm floor (Steeb Hall, 10th floor) held a Euchre tournament, which I won. My partner was a second-string defensive back. Sorry I don't remember his name :? I do remember that he kicked ass at Ballblazer, though 8)

Oh, I had my Atari 400 (w/48K upgrade and real keyboard) with me at college, too. I was the only person on the floor who had a computer.

Oops, I'm probably dating myself there. I'd better stop now.

GO BUCKS!!! I think it's great that there are all these Buckeyes on the board. I had no idea (I graduated '91).

Anyways, I learned the game when I was down there, and when you got Euchred, the saying was 'I smell a Euchre'. Seems pretty innocent, unless someone says it to you. Oh yeah, you have to make the 'Sniffing' sound with your nose (like something is buring).

I did come across a bug or glitch.  Occasionally, one of the computer opponents played card is not displayed.  The trick is played out, but I can't see what card was played.  This happened three times in the course of a half hour session and on both the left and right side.  I'm playing this in Z26 and tried to get a screenshot of it, which I will post if I can.

Yikes! This is the first report of this kind of problem I've received... and three times in a half-hour yet.

Was one of the computer players going alone? This is indicated by an "A" when the arrow is pointing to one of them, but it doesn't stay around after the trump suit is shown. That would account for a missing card, as that player wouldn't be involved.

(I doubt this is it, but I have to eliminate the obvious case first!)

Is this from the NTSC or PAL version? Also, what version of Z26 are you using? The last one I used was 1.52, but that was several months ago before I moved to Linux, leaving me with Stella as my only emulator.

What OS are you using? I'm assuming it's a Windows-family one since you are running Z26. I know Z26 is touchy under XP. Could you please try out CyberStella to see if this phenomenon appears there too?

In the meanwhile, I'll play a few more games to see if it pops up for me.

Now, one thing I would really like to see in this game:

Some type of sound effect or music when you get euchred.

I had considered more elaborate sounds when I was starting to add the sound in. At the time, I was very low on space, so I dropped the idea of having any sort of progression of notes and decided to stick to single tones. (This also keeps the game in the spirit of the other card and board games like Backgammon and Othello.)

As it is, you do get a sound with each point added to a score, so there will be two beeps for a Euchre. It's not what you're seeking, but I'm also at this point more concerned about saving space for bug fixes than adding anything new.

Thanks for the bug find! Hopefully (for me) it's limited to your emulator/computer combination. ;)