IGNORED

Newest Tempest Xtreem Video showing higher level colors and all the music

Kjmann

Looks/sounds good.

But, I don't fancy much the flashing after the starfield between levels.

I still reckon a good effect would be to see the next web being drawn, multi-task style. Have each line that originates from the centre drawn in unison - draw the entire web over the period of half a second or so.

suggestions/questions

-------------------------

- player cell highlighting?

- "avoid the spikes" in central area, where the eyes of the person playing are

- optional mode with more sound effects (no music)

Well I'm not a coder, so I don't know what that is.

Sorry, No. It's a multiplexed screen divided into 6 sections I think and the special tempest font only works in the graphics mode that is at the top of the screen for the scoreboard.

Sorry, No Again. This is Tempest Xtreem not original tempest. also we are having trouble squeezing what we have into the game with trying to put in more options. =)

Remember Folks, We are done with the design of the game now. we won't be making any changes. Just bug fixes and getting the Digital Voices into the game are all we are doing. =)

Thanks for all your input. =) Continuing comments are always welcome.

suggestions/questions

Sorry, No. It's a multiplexed screen divided into 6 sections I think and the special tempest font only works in the graphics mode that is at the top of the screen for the scoreboard.

Sorry, No Again. This is Tempest Xtreem not original tempest. also we are having trouble squeezing what we have into the game with trying to put in more options. =)

Remember Folks, We are done with the design of the game now. we won't be making any changes. Just bug fixes and getting the Digital Voices into the game are all we are doing. =)

Thanks for all your input. =) Continuing comments are always welcome.

wow.. awesome just awesome... one question will the final game (with the voices) run in 64k or require 128k or more memory?

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

suggestions/questions

@ Cell Highlighting: I'm speaking of highlighting the current cell on the playing grid that is occupied by the player (I.E.: standard tempest, and maybe other versions also).

@ "Avoid The Spikes": I would think you could just use a suitable "playfield" color. Alternately, the current method could use blinking/flashing for the text. Something to catch the players eye, as I currently don't notice it when involved in playing the game.

suggestions/questions

@ Cell Highlighting: I'm speaking of highlighting the current cell on the playing grid that is occupied by the player (I.E.: standard tempest, and maybe other versions also).

@ "Avoid The Spikes": I would think you could just use a suitable "playfield" color. Alternately, the current method could use blinking/flashing for the text. Something to catch the players eye, as I currently don't notice it when involved in playing the game.

Ah yes, we were going to do that but we had to choose between that and CPU time that we needed elsewhere. So no it won't be something we will be implementing.

No we won't be doing that. once again were back to... "do we want to rewrite a whole section of code just for one effect?" no we don't. We are done writing the main program and won't be changing anything else. also You should be able to tell that there are spikes to avoid just by looking at the screen as well as the Giant flashing letters at the top of the screen that say "Avoid the Spikes"

No we won't be doing that. once again were back to... "do we want to rewrite a whole section of code just for one effect?" no we don't. We are done writing the main program and won't be changing anything else. also You should be able to tell that there are spikes to avoid just by looking at the screen as well as the Giant flashing letters at the top of the screen that say "Avoid the Spikes"

Yea, I see it does color cycle after all. Doesn't really seem to solve the problem...

Anyway, thanks for the teaser video... can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Any way to make the bullets a little more beefier? Tiny dots dont seem to look dangerous :)

and

the AI Droid doesnt seem to have much AI yet - will it get better at moving toward enemies or is it set already (kinda seems to run in a circle)

looks great no matter what

Any way to make the bullets a little more beefier? Tiny dots dont seem to look dangerous :)

and

the AI Droid doesnt seem to have much AI yet - will it get better at moving toward enemies or is it set already (kinda seems to run in a circle)

looks great no matter what

The AI Droid is the way it is. it does have some AI but not much Due to CPU Cycle limits. it's there more to "Cover You" rather that be another intelligent shooter like you the player are. it does go back and fourth but more at random than anything. that is why we changed the name to the "Gunner Droid" rather than "AI Droid" =)

We really can't do much about the bullets. any bigger and they start destroying sections of the webs. =)

Edited by kjmann

Did you guys convert the music somehow from Tempest 2000 or rewrite it completely? It sounds dead on! :D

I Re Wrote the music completely. I Find that when I try to do a conversion, it never comes out right. so I always start from scratch and input the music note by note.

Conversions(imports) are a lazy way to do it anyway. =)

Edited by kjmann

I'm catching up on the A8 scene and ... I am floored! Not only does the game look fantastic (looks like you can't die yet) but you actually converted the Tempest 2000 music and it sounds spot on!

Fantastic.

Well, yes you can die. but for testing purposes we have an invincibility mode enabled at this time. =)

The next movie I post will have a working example of the digital voices working. =)

Edited by kjmann

Are there any plans to refine the sound effects before release? The arcade machine used a set of POKEYs, so there's really no excuse for the sounds not to be spot-on. The Superzapper especially shouldn't go boop-boop-boop.

Well, This isn't a spot on ReMake of The Original Tempest. It's a mix of the original and T2k. we did our own SFX including some digital Ones. we weren't trying for exact remakes of the sounds.