IGNORED

Autorun Menu for MYDOS 4.53 Wanted

Hi folks,

Has anyone got an Autorun menu suitable for MyDOS 4.53? I've tried the ones I have for DOS 2.5 but they don't work. I have just downloaded some games (exe/com files) using APE to a MyDOS disk... if not I'll have to re-do them to a DOS 2.5 disk :|

Thanks

APE has a built in EXE loader that works without DOS. Set the PC-Mirror as drive #1, then boot from it. You can navigate your hard drives and select what EXE/COM/XEX files to load.

Should work for everything except programs that require DOS to run, save files, etc.

Steve

Just to clarify I'm looking for an autorun menu (single keypress to load games, like multiboot/rob.c menus etc) to use on a real atari 1050 floppy (running mydos 4.53) after downloading the games :)

If there is one!

Thanks

Edited by therealbountybob

Just to clarify I'm looking for an autorun menu (single keypress to load games, like multiboot/rob.c menus etc) to use on a real atari 1050 floppy (running mydos 4.53) after downloading the games :)

If there is one!

Thanks

Why not use Fender's 3 Sector Boot Menu if you're planning on using a 1050? Then you wouldn't be wasting sectors with a DOS.SYS file.

MyPicoDOS does have it's benefits though, in that you can have long names associated with your game files. Rather than having a menu restricted with 8.3 filenames like 'LASTSTARFTR', you could have it print 'The Last Starfighter' instead. Plus you can always modify the source to have the display the way you like it, as I have..

Edited by dwhyte

If there is one!

Thanks

Ok, then my intention was right ;)

Try MyPicoDOS. It´s the right tool.

Hi folks,

Has anyone got an Autorun menu suitable for MyDOS 4.53? I've tried the ones I have for DOS 2.5 but they don't work. I have just downloaded some games (exe/com files) using APE to a MyDOS disk... if not I'll have to re-do them to a DOS 2.5 disk :|

Thanks

Charles Marslett(I think) wrote this utility for mydos...http://www.a8maestro.com/atari/info/software/wmmenu8.xex.

The info page is http://www.a8maestro.com/atari/info/ballsu.htm.

Rick D.

FYI: Yesterday Pajero from Mad Team sent me an email that they released a new version of their Total Commander ATR plugin.

This new version (V1.6) adds support for MyPicoDos, so you can create disk images including MyPicoDos directly on a (Windows-) PC.

http://madteam.atari8.info/index.php?prod=uzytki

http://madteam.atari8.info/uzytki/atrwcx.7z

so long,

Hias

Hi folks,

Thanks

Charles Marslett(I think) wrote this utility for mydos...http://www.a8maestro.com/atari/info/software/wmmenu8.xex.

The info page is http://www.a8maestro.com/atari/info/ballsu.htm.

Rick D.

Well,

this is what you get, when you click on the link:

Not Found

The requested URL /atari/info/software/wmmenu8.xex was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at www.a8maestro.com Port 80

maybe you can fix this ?? Greetings Andreas Koch (which is the same person as Andreas M. mentioned on your site - but I am/have married)

Wow! For a simple question I've opened a whole canna worms :)

Progress not good... so far I've tried the following...

>MyPicoDOS - cannot see how to get this and the games on the same floppy disk.

>FENDER 3 sector menu - gives me an error saying it cannot write to sector 720 when trying to convert a disk (option J) - have tried this on a Mydos4.53 and a DOS2.5 disk.

>WMMENUX.EXE Yes the link didn't work!

>fl.zip - I get a file called FL (unknown type) what do I do with it

Lets clarify, if anyone has a MyDOS4.53 atr (DD 1040 sectors) with some sort of autorun menu that would be perfect. Otherwise may be I should ask what is the best DOS to use to transfer XEX/COM files to my 1050 using APE? Maybe MyDOS4.53 is not the best option? Will have a look the the newer posts!

Thanks

Edited by therealbountybob

Boot the mypinit.atr image. Choose option 1 (initializer, no remote console). When asked for drive number, enter 1, then insert your game disk (or a blank disk you will copy games to, later) in drive 1 when prompted (obviously, can use any drive you like, if you have more than one, or if your D1: is APE and your real drive is D2:). There's no need to re-run the initializer after you delete/rename/copy files to/from the disk, except to set up the long filenames for any new files, if you're using long filenames.

>FENDER 3 sector menu - gives me an error saying it cannot write to sector 720 when trying to convert a disk (option J) - have tried this on a Mydos4.53 and a DOS2.5 disk.

Assuming your disk wasn't write-protected, the error might be that you picked the wrong density. See below...

Lets clarify, if anyone has a MyDOS4.53 atr (DD 1040 sectors) with some sort of autorun menu that would be perfect.

Which, DD or 1040 sectors? Atari double density is 720 sectors, same as single density, except the sectors are twice the size (256 bytes instead of 128).

1040 sector format is "1050 Dual Density" or "Enhanced Density". The sectors are still 128 bytes, the same size as single density, but there are more of them... If you told Fenders you had a double-density disk, but actually inserted a 1050 ED disk, that could cause the "can't write to sector 720" error.

Fenders will work with MyDOS's 1040-sector format (I just tried it), just use the single-density option. However, I'd stick with MyPicoDOS myself (personal preference).

The others mentioned (FL and WMMENU) I don't know anything about...

Wow! For a simple question I've opened a whole canna worms :)

Progress not good... so far I've tried the following...

>WMMENUX.EXE Yes the link didn't work!

>fl.zip - I get a file called FL (unknown type) what do I do with it

Lets clarify, if anyone has a MyDOS4.53 atr (DD 1040 sectors) with some sort of autorun menu that would be perfect. Otherwise may be I should ask what is the best DOS to use to transfer XEX/COM files to my 1050 using APE? Maybe MyDOS4.53 is not the best option? Will have a look the the newer posts!

Thanks

With MyPicoDOS and MyDOS 4.53 disk all you have to do is copy all your executables to the new disk, can even have subdirectories.

Next, you run the appropriate myinit.com file on the myinit.disk or ATR.

Choose whether you want High speed SIO or standard as the default (see documentation). In general Normal SIO for parallel attached hard drives and emulators and HSIO for real floppy drives or SIO bus attached devices including APE/atarisio/SIO2MAC disk emulators.

Select the location of your game disk and myinit.com will write new boot sectors. Now you have a bootable game disk.

If you change the files on the disk you need to rerun myinit.

MyPicoDOS supports disks/ATRs up to 16MB in size, DOS 2.x or MyPicoDOS formats.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

Hm, really? I thought you only need to do that if you use long filenames...

That's correct. Unless you messed up your disk (deleted the picodos.sys, erased the boot sectors) you don't have to init the disk again.

MyPicoDos works like any normal DOS, it shows all files present on the disk. And you can even boot MyPicoDos from a disk, and then remove the disk and insert another one. If you press "1" (for example, for drive D1:) MyPicoDos will detect the density/size and read the contents.

so long,

Hias

Hm, really? I thought you only need to do that if you use long filenames...

That's correct. Unless you messed up your disk (deleted the picodos.sys, erased the boot sectors) you don't have to init the disk again.

MyPicoDos works like any normal DOS, it shows all files present on the disk. And you can even boot MyPicoDos from a disk, and then remove the disk and insert another one. If you press "1" (for example, for drive D1:) MyPicoDos will detect the density/size and read the contents.

so long,

Hias

Oops. My bad.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hmm, still struggling. Think would like to use the Fender 3 sector menu. The ATR image above is fine as a master, Thanks. If you get time and could create one on an empty disk / one that's been formatted that would be quicker for me to copy each time.

BUT, If I format a disk myself using either MyDOS 4.53 or the Fender3 utility's menu option on a standard 1050 drive I still get the Error 138 unable to write to sector 720 in both cases. (If I try and change the density on the Fender3 menu it makes a "buzz" noise then gives an error 139... )

Don't have nightmares :x

BUT, If I format a disk myself using either MyDOS 4.53 or the Fender3 utility's menu option on a standard 1050 drive I still get the Error 138 unable to write to sector 720 in both cases. (If I try and change the density on the Fender3 menu it makes a "buzz" noise then gives an error 139... )

Set Fenders to use single density, if your drive is a standard 1050. When you load the program, it should already be set for single, just don't change it.

You're getting "error 139" because a standard 1050 doesn't support the "change density" command... because it doesn't support double density. It supports single and "1050 enhanced" density (which you can think of as "one and a half density" without being too far off). Unfortunately Atari themselves sometimes referred to 1050 enhanced density as "double" or "dual" density, which is pretty confusing.

Again, to use Fenders on a 1050 enhanced density disk, leave the density at "Single". This will work fine with a MyDOS-formatted 1040 sector (enhanced density) disk, and mostly fine with a DOS 2.5 ED disk (the files that show up in <angle brackets> in DOS 2.5's directory won't be visible to Fenders).

I can tell you've set it to double, because Fenders doesn't use sector 720 for single density... The reason for the error 138 is that the Fenders installer is trying to write a 256-byte (aka double density) sector 720, on a drive that only supports 128-byte sectors (the standard 1050).

Set Fenders to use single density, if your drive is a standard 1050. When you load the program, it should already be set for single, just don't change it.

You're getting "error 139" because a standard 1050 doesn't support the "change density" command... because it doesn't support double density. It supports single and "1050 enhanced" density (which you can think of as "one and a half density" without being too far off). Unfortunately Atari themselves sometimes referred to 1050 enhanced density as "double" or "dual" density, which is pretty confusing.

Again, to use Fenders on a 1050 enhanced density disk, leave the density at "Single". This will work fine with a MyDOS-formatted 1040 sector (enhanced density) disk, and mostly fine with a DOS 2.5 ED disk (the files that show up in <angle brackets> in DOS 2.5's directory won't be visible to Fenders).

I can tell you've set it to double, because Fenders doesn't use sector 720 for single density... The reason for the error 138 is that the Fenders installer is trying to write a 256-byte (aka double density) sector 720, on a drive that only supports 128-byte sectors (the standard 1050).

When I boot the Fender utility from a real disk it defaults to DBL, the Error 139 (and noise) appears when I try and change density to single! (I copied the Fender image down to a real 1050 drive using mycopyr! 2.1)... any more ideas?!

Well,

it is simple (even on my Speedy 1050 and Happy 1050 which can both do DD, this error shows up): Use the density config and then switch the drive off and on again. Now the menu will work and write correctly to disk ! There seems to be a bug in this menu, when using the density config, a 1050 completely crashes and therefore has to be "reset". Sooner or later you will find out, that Fender`s 3 sector menu is nice, but it will not work with every program, so better use another gamedos... (NanoDOS, MicroDOS, PicoDOS, MyPicoDOS, Speed Start Initializer, etc.)...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well,

it is simple (even on my Speedy 1050 and Happy 1050 which can both do DD, this error shows up): Use the density config and then switch the drive off and on again. Now the menu will work and write correctly to disk ! There seems to be a bug in this menu, when using the density config, a 1050 completely crashes and therefore has to be "reset". Sooner or later you will find out, that Fender`s 3 sector menu is nice, but it will not work with every program, so better use another gamedos... (NanoDOS, MicroDOS, PicoDOS, MyPicoDOS, Speed Start Initializer, etc.)...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Thanks Andreas, will give this a try!

Which one would you recommend :?:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have finally got sorted. Here's what I went for and why in the end...

I did have problems getting Fenders 3 Sector menu to do the job so have gone for MyPicoDOS.

I didn't realise there was an "initialiser" program, it's amazing what you can do if you read the READ.ME :ponder:

I initialised disks with MyDos4.53 on my 1050 drive (using "A" for enhanced desnity) giving 1023ish sectors.

Then copied down the XEX/Com files using MyDOS and APE (ensuring I left 33 secors free)

Then loaded MyPicoDOS' MYINITB.COM file (the bare bones file as It only takes 31 sectors, plus 2 for the long file-names txt file) and used option 1 to initialise the disk.

Then used option 2 to create the long filenames files.

MyPICODOS Pros :)

Loads games that Fenders didn't.

Joysticks can be used to load games.

Automatically switches BASIC off (or on) if required so no need to boot with option - FANTASTIC!

Will replace Fender 3 sector menu if already on the disk.

MyPICODOS MinorCons

Have to load separate utility to write the menu to each disk and update the long file-names.

Doesn't look brilliant but I guess this saves RAM/helps avoid memory conflicts with the games...

Happy New Year to all Atari Users