IGNORED

Xbox live still work with OLD ORIGINAL XBOX?

wood_jl

I have yet to upgrade to Xbox 360, but I probably will be before too long.

Questions for Xbox live experts:

1) DOES XBOX LIVE STILL WORK WITH OLD XBOX??? Does anybody still do this?

2) Is Xbox Live "console-centric" - I mean, can I get Xbox Live going on my old Xbox, then buy a new 360 and use it on the same Live account?

3) Can somone with an OLD XBOX play against an "Xbox Original" (or backward-compat running game) on a 360 matched up on Xbox live? This would be great if the answer to this is yes.

4) Is there a way to determine which ORIG XBOX games are still capable of online play (servers running or whatever?) How about for 360?

Thanks a million to any and all who reply; there just doesn't seem to be an easy way to learn of this unless you've been an Xbox live player all along and maybe acquired the knowledge and experience along the way - which obviously I am lacking.

1) Yes and yes.

2) You can use the same account on both consoles so long as you register it on the original XBox first. You can then use it as your 360 login. If you register it on the 360 first you will not be able to use it on the original XBox.

3) Yes on XBox Live and Yes on System Link.

4) I have a lot of XBox games with Live and I haven't found any that don't work still. In some games it can be tough to get a match (it may take a bit of a wait to get some opponents in UC) but other games generally have a few matches going to join (such as Counter-Strike or Wolf.)

I have a V1 XBox that was signed up on the day of the original release of XBox Live. I have been playing on Live since day 1.

I'm online! Thanks very much to Hyper_Eye - the sole respondent to my original questions in this thread.

The way THAT I KNOW OF AND CAN CONFIRM to get an original Xbox online is to get an unused, OLD (original Xbox) Xbox Live card - either free trial or maybe bonafide prepaid- and do it from the ORIGINAL XBOX DASHBOARD.

The first thing I did wrong was go to Xbox Live with my PC, and the only thing I see is "sign up for a free Silver account," which I did. That is apparently meaningless to the old Xbox.

UNRESOLVED: Would an Xbox Live card that says "360" on it have worked, by entering the subscription code on it through the old Xbox dashboard? Guess we'll never know. Scratching to reveal the code means $50 down the drain if it didn't work. So I was going to buy an old (new old stock) card from Ebay but then thought I might have one....

I have a new-in-the-box spare original Xbox in the shelf - one of the last ones with Forza Motorsport pack-in. Inside was a Xbox Live 2-month free trial. Says on it "offer valid 10/1/05 - 12/31/06" but I tried it and it worked!!! Still had to put my Mastercard in the dashboard, but I don't care because it worked. I assume I'll be charged a year's fee in 2 months, and then when I get a 360 I'll be set! I already raced Forza 1 and found an opponent quickly!

I realize that there won't be much but Halo 2 as far as finding opponents, but I just want to do this so I can play against one friend who's a really good gamer who lives a long way from here.

To anyone else who wants to try this, I'd suggest getting a 2-month OLD Xbox live trial from Ebay ($10 or less) and you can get online.

I see another thread in here with Xbox Live gamers trading their gamertag ID - I'm guessing by all the NON responses to this thread that everyone's moved on to 360. Maybe I'll see you in backward-compatibility mode!!!

I don't know why everyone (even 360 users) had to dump all over the old Xbox when I asked this question in other forums. I guess the kids think it SUCKS if it's not part of some newly contrived gimmick or the latest thing. Sorry if I think Forza Motorsport (1) looks excellent still and has fantastic gameplay. The world is also full of other morons who think their [comparable] Wii graphics are acceptable. Oh yeah, that's the lastest thing.....never mind the graphics are the same; it's better because it's new......"You're still playing with THAT old thing???"

Adios!

Yes the original Xbox has a thriving online community. And you can use your gamertag for play on either the original xbox or 360. As for the games that don't work online, the only one I can think of is Burnout Revenge. For any other game you are just going to have to try and see for yourself but most still work.

Edited by THE 1 2 P

Thanks guys, for responding to this thread.

I am quite satisfied to be on Xbox Live, even with the old Dinosaur. I can't believe I can race Forza against people in Alaska. I'm obviously new to online gaming.

I got interested in this with the DS, which I find the "free" online works rather well. I have been playing Advance Wars 4, Mario Kart, and GRID online and that's what got me wanting to try Xbox Live.

My only prior experience with online was PS2 - I can't beleive I paid $40 for the network adapter when it came out for the old dinosaur BIG PS2. The idea was to play ATV Offroad Fury 2 over DIAL-UP and it worked a little....but every time I got ahead, the other guy would hang up. That's the biggest turnoff to online gaming.

I find that Halo 2 has a LOT of people playing. There's no "hanging up" since you respawn so quickly. Very cool.

Does anybody still game online with PS2? I'll bet they take the "free" servers down quickly so only the very latest games will still work.....or has all online gaming moved to PS3? Anybody actually own one of those things?

Thanks guys. I've been trying to figure out the answer to this question for a little while now myself.....so, I just came from Ebay and have bought a free trial card for my original xbox. I've only had xbox for a little over a year now i guess, I'm a Playstation kinda guy i suppose. And to answer the question about PS2 online games...I play Battlefield 2: Modern Combat almost everynight, or every night I have the time, etc. I'd highly recommend the game to anyone with PS2 and the online Network adapter. (youtube.com search it!)

Still a huge community of online gamers playing that one. No problem to have several hundred, possibly thousand each night.

a few others I play from time to time are Urban Chaos, actually pretty fun online, but not too many people play, so some nights there are a dozen or so players, sometimes you could be all alone, waiting...which i do poorly.

Socom 3 still seems to do well, I've been on recently anyways.

finally the only other games i have that still seems to have some online interest is Call of Duty 1 and 3

I like how it costs nothing to play online for the PS2.....but, I'm looking forward to use my $8.74 trail for xbox

And yes, also looking to purchase a new console soon. Looks like I'm lending towards the PS3.

thanks fellas(and possibly ladies)