IGNORED

Cosmic Ark

moycon

I always liked this game. I played it for the 1st time...In a long time last week and got up to the asteroid Level after the last "worm" level before I finally bit the dust.

I have a question, what animal comes after the worm level? It seems to me I rememeber it being something very small... But its been so long I cant rememeber if I'm even thinking of the right game. Does anyone know???

The last worm Lvl would be the 8th planet screen.

It goes Dino, BarStool, WeinerDog, Worm,.... ______?????

BTW: I think the object of the game it to stop off and pillage whatever local planet you're near for food. A man builds up a powerful hunger when blasting asteroids in deep space. And a nice rack of space weiner dog hits the spot. *burp*

Hi:

I'll ask Todd Rogers to reply to this one...he has reached further than just about anyone on this title and can tell you what comes after any level in the game.

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

I passed the Pac-Man phase a couple times, and was a bit disappointed to see the game's very first creatures show up again. (I don't know what I was expecting...little Marios, maybe?) Anyway, I guess Stella games have to "wrap" at some point! Maybe Rob learned his lesson after the Demon Attack "end of game" problem.

The angst I've always had with Cosmic Ark is the occasional bouncy asteroid. If your shot goes right past one of these, you don't have time to try a second shot (after a certain speed is reached later in the game). I don't think any element of any game should be purely up to "chance," completely leaving out whatever skill, high or low, the player might have. Not having any option but to die, no matter what you do, is a design cop-out.

Can anyone think of other games with this "you die no matter what" rubbish? I know they exist, but I can't think of them.

CF

Can anyone think of other games with this "you die no matter what" rubbish? I know they exist, but I can't think of them.

CF

If you fall into the Valley of Poison on ROTLA its almost impossible to get out with those tse tse flies and the thief.

As for Cosmic Ark, I've been to the Pac-man planet once, but I ALWAYS get killed by the asteroids in space. Those things just come too fast.

And gee, I wish someone would take the time to list all of the monsters and planets. I wonder how many there are??? just kidding Scott, please don't kill me

• 2 years later...
I passed the Pac-Man phase a couple times, and was a bit disappointed to see the game's very first creatures show up again. (I don't know what I was expecting...little Marios, maybe?) Anyway, I guess Stella games have to "wrap" at some point! Maybe Rob learned his lesson after the Demon Attack "end of game" problem.

The angst I've always had with Cosmic Ark is the occasional bouncy asteroid. If your shot goes right past one of these, you don't have time to try a second shot (after a certain speed is reached later in the game).  I don't think any element of any game should be purely up to "chance," completely leaving out whatever skill, high or low, the player might have. Not having any option but to die, no matter what you do, is a design cop-out.

CF

Well,

In Eggomania, if you play on the expert setting (small Hat) after a while, the bird up top will drop his egg to the far side of the screen where you can't reach it because of the small Hat. That really sucks!

I made this little Java applet with hoardes of all 7 of the little beasties running around a dark blue field.

http://www.kisrael.com/viewblog.cgi?date=2004.09.18

People who like the original might dig it...you when you press the button the mouse becomes sticky, kind of like a katamari...also the guys are always scared of the mouse anyway.

As for Cosmic Ark, I've been to the Pac-man planet once, but I ALWAYS get killed by the asteroids in space.  Those things just come too fast.

Roger that. I swear I do much better by just rotatign the joystick and jolting it about randomly sometimes. Mostly not, but the only time I ever got to the PacMans was by just screwing with the stick during the asteroid field.

Who owns the rights to this and the other Imagics? Have they been released recently?

I remember being a little irritated that there was a "meteorite only" mode, but no "aliens only" mode.

I really loved those "little critters" which is why I made that java app.

Also, the tie in between Atlantis and Cosmic Ark was pretty cute.

Come to think of it, it's a little odd that if you had enough energy you could rebuild your ships from its component molecules or whatever...I mean if you had that technology, couldn't you just teleport/clone critters? Or do something else?

Anyway, good game.

I agree about the asteroids. Why did they make an all asteroids games? That's the crap part of the game for sure. I always get nailed or run out of fuel.

835482[/snapback]

Humm I actually happen to like the asteroids section better.. what instead really irritates me is the beasties always moving around while I try to beam them up!

I guess Cosmic Ark is a game that could be played by 2 players alternating at the asteroids and surface screens. How's up for a game? ;)

Regards!

Rasty.-

I made this little Java applet with hoardes of all 7 of the little beasties running around a dark blue field.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but if you hold the mouse button, you can gather all of the aliens at once! :-) I did this myself, but when I swept them off the screen, they burst outward and scattered over the play area once again.

Maybe you could develop this a bit more into a quantum/qix type of game where you circle the aliens while trying to avoid an evil Qix or other fiendish beastie(?)

Okay, I'm dumb. kbye

Edited by mojofltr