IGNORED

What do you think?

jbs30000

I was going to try and create an original game...but...well, long story short, I'm starting to make another arcade clone. The original Super Mario Brothers.

However, I'm not far into the game, and I'm already running into problems:

• The player sprite isn't very good looking.
  • The player can interact with the background because it would take a ton of code to rewrite my collision detection routines to differentiate between playfield blocks that I want him to interact with, and those I don't.
  • His vertical jumps need improving.

Here's what I have so far

• Two screens (playfields)
  • No enemies yet
  • When he jumps into a block of playfield pixels, they bounce up and settle back down again. This happens kind of fast, and I need to slow it down. If I finish the game, I'll add in a routine, so that if he eats a mushroom, he can "break" the blocks and make them fall off of the screen.
  • "Mario" can walk left and right, jump up, up/left, and up/right.
  • If a playfield pixel is at "ankle" level, he can't move forward. So background images kind of look like they're hovering, that way "Mario" can walk past them.

Anyway, if you think I should work on this to the end, let me know. Or, if you think I should quit and work on something else, let me know too. And, if you have any programming suggestions, they are more than welcome. Thank you.

Edit: Finally, I'm able to add the bin and bas files.

default.basdefault.bas.bin

Edited by jbs30000

Awesome looking Mario. I assume you're doing this using asm. I'm thinking of going ahead and doing this within the limitations of batari Basic, even though, when you're done with your version, I'm sure it will blow mine away.

Thanks. Go ahead and continue with your project, its always good to see new 2600 games. Plus its not like any of us own the rights to mario ;)

Hmm... i'm not really a fan of the original Super Mario Bros. games but i'd like to see what you can pull off with bB.

If the collision detection with the playfield doesn't work out it would still be nice to have a simplyfied version without the blocks.

I'm really looking foward how this one turns out, maybe i can learn a bit from this project.

I already thought about making the C64 game Snoopy for the 2600, i think bB should be able to handle it.

If i should ever get back to learning bB i might give it a try...

Hmm... i'm not really a fan of the original Super Mario Bros. games but i'd like to see what you can pull off with bB.

If the collision detection with the playfield doesn't work out it would still be nice to have a simplyfied version without the blocks.

I'm really looking foward how this one turns out, maybe i can learn a bit from this project.

I already thought about making the C64 game Snoopy for the 2600, i think bB should be able to handle it.

If i should ever get back to learning bB i might give it a try...

I'll probably make the game look nicer by using no_blank_lines if I think I can do without missile0.

Anyway, if anybody can help make me a better looking player sprite, I'd appreciate it.

I'll probably make the game look nicer by using no_blank_lines if I think I can do without missile0.

Anyway, if anybody can help make me a better looking player sprite, I'd appreciate it.

With the higher playfield resolution you're using the blank lines don't matter much IMO.

Just take a look at Cave In, the playfields look nice even with the blank lines.