IGNORED

Sonic's Ultimate Game Collection

Zeptari

As someone who was a Nintendo fan back in the day, I never owned a Genesis until a couple years ago when one was given to me.

I have 2 games for it, Ecco and one of the Phantasy Stars. I'll definitely be snagging this one if only to see what I missed back in the day.

As someone who was a Nintendo fan back in the day, I never owned a Genesis until a couple years ago when one was given to me.

I have 2 games for it, Ecco and one of the Phantasy Stars. I'll definitely be snagging this one if only to see what I missed back in the day.

you wont be disappointed.there is a lot of good stuff on this collection,plus hd graphics & achevement points.sounds like a winner to me :)

I see something like this and my knee-jerk reaction is that I want to buy it, but I have probably 90% of those games in their original form, and I have a modded XBox so I can play all of those games in emulated form in HD already. I definitely think it is cool that they finally released a REAL Genesis collection though.

Chris

Okay, is this worth it to someone who has most if not all of the original cartridges as well as all the Game Cube Sonic collections plus the PS2 Genesis collection?

I don't play the XBox enough to worry about collecting achievements, and for emulated 16bit games, the difference between 480p and 1080i is minimal. The stair steps just get a little sharper. Any other compelling reasons?

Okay, is this worth it to someone who has most if not all of the original cartridges as well as all the Game Cube Sonic collections plus the PS2 Genesis collection?

I don't play the XBox enough to worry about collecting achievements, and for emulated 16bit games, the difference between 480p and 1080i is minimal. The stair steps just get a little sharper. Any other compelling reasons?

I think there's some hidden/unlockable Sega arcade games on the disc. Which games, i have no idea.

I wish sega had more games on it... some of the rare genny beauties, I mean there's tons!

Crue Ball, The Immortal, Road Rash, Desert Stike.. I guess a lot of EA games.... :D

-rick

I see something like this and my knee-jerk reaction is that I want to buy it, but I have probably 90% of those games in their original form, and I have a modded XBox so I can play all of those games in emulated form in HD already. I definitely think it is cool that they finally released a REAL Genesis collection though.

Chris

What wasn't real about the Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2 and PSP? Had almost as nice of a lineup of games as this does.

I suspect as far as bonus unlockables go (SMS and arcade games) that the 10 arcade games from the Sega Genesis Collection are probably a sure bet since Digital Eclipse has already done the work to emulate them, and wouldn't be surprised to see the original arcade Golden Ax since that's done and out on XBLA. And we know Phantasy Star 1 is included for the SMS, along with some version of Space Harrier.

I'm hoping for Turbo to complete the early 80s Sega arcade lineup (Monaco GP isn't able to be emulated), and some Outrun games (I'll love Sega forever if they include Turbo Outrun).

Edited by Atariboy

Chris

What wasn't real about the Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2 and PSP?

The absence of the Streets of Rage titles.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Answering my own question here...

I loaded up the PS2 Genesis collection again last night, and was reminded just how bad the sound reproduction is on that one. I don't think the PS2 engine emulates the Genesis sound hardware, but instead merely reproduces the music and sound effects with digital samples. Whoever created those samples needs a refresher on technical things like anti-aliasing and non-technical things like the does-this-make-my-eardrums-bleed test.

The PS2 version also doesn't compensate for 16x9 screens, so either you have to fiddle with the TV's zoom or just accept everything being stretched. I suppose that's no worse than the original Genesis, but there is a reason the PS2 has an aspect ratio setting, and it's annoying when games don't use it.

So, if the new collection makes up for those shortcomings, I will be more than happy to buy it.

Edited by skunkworx

I'll be picking that up when it comes out here (or I can get into town) True I got most of the games on the Genesis already, but I could pack all that up and just use the 360 Of course, That won’t happebn.  I’ve already done that on the PS2 and whatever else it was out on.

Sonic's Ultimate Game Collection

Out of 40+ games, there are only 6 Sonic games - I love they way they used Sonic's name for the raw sake of attention getting, rather then just calling it something like "Ultimate Genesis Collection".

And once again, out of those 6 Sonic games, none of them are SonicCD. :|

I'll pass.

Wow...

I'm an avid Genesis collector, and I'm a Phantasy Star nut....the wide screen capability combined with all of those games (none of which are fillers) could be what convinces me to buy a PS3...oh yeah, that and the new Final Fantasy...or the GTA 4 that I still haven't played...or Sonic Unleashed...Okay, I guess I don't really need another reason....but this colleciton looks super-cool!

Edited by tisaperfectdayelise