IGNORED

Atari 2600 Zookeeper Character Animation Video Found!

Dutchman2000

While I was going through another batch of Atari stuff I received, I found some videotapes. Imagine my surprise when I saw this Zookeeper footage on one of them. The graphics for the game were done by Courtney Granner and were very well done. So it appears that I found the sounds for this game first and now the Character Animations. I guess I'm getting closer to finding the game!

Here is a link to YouTube if you want to see the footage yourself.

Here's a direct link to a higher-quality version hosted on AtariAge (20MB):

http://atariage.com/video/2600_zookeeper_0001.wmv

Are those really VCS graphics?

Hard to tell with Youtube's low quality. Currently you even seem to see some kind of shading, which is defintely impossible.

Animated screenshots would be better.

This video was taken directly from the original videotape. I apologize for the quality but youtube is what it is. I do have a better quality version that I will ask Albert to host so that should help. The video was recorded off of an Atari 800 using the ANIMAT program the animators at Atari used at that time. They would then export the source code and give it to the programmer. I talked to Courtney Granner about this footage and he confirmed that it was genuine and how it was created. He no longer has any of his disks so screenshots will not be possible.

This video was taken directly from the original videotape. I apologize for the quality but youtube is what it is. I do have a better quality version that I will ask Albert to host so that should help. The video was recorded off of an Atari 800 using the ANIMAT program the animators at Atari used at that time. They would then export the source code and give it to the programmer. I talked to Courtney Granner about this footage and he confirmed that it was genuine and how it was created. He no longer has any of his disks so screenshots will not be possible.

I'd be glad to host it. :)

..Al

Knowing what I know of the Atari 2600's method of drawing characters, I think it would be impossible for Zeke to stand sideways. The game would probably look like this to compensate for the system's limitations.

Believe me, I know absolutely nothing about programming, so if this question seems like a stupid one, then I'll apologize now and save everyone the trouble. Having said that:

Why couldn't Zeke be drawn sideways? They managed to make Ms. Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man flip sideways on the 2600. Is it that it would just take up too much memory to do it? Again, sorry if it's a dumb question. Just curious. :)

BTW, I love the mockup image! Very cool! :)

Knowing what I know of the Atari 2600's method of drawing characters, I think it would be impossible for Zeke to stand sideways. The game would probably look like this to compensate for the system's limitations.

Believe me, I know absolutely nothing about programming, so if this question seems like a stupid one, then I'll apologize now and save everyone the trouble. Having said that:

Why couldn't Zeke be drawn sideways?

I wondered myself here too.

Most characters in 2600 games are drawn in horizontal lines, with one color per line. Look carefully in that video... you'll notice that the colors are layered. If you turned the characters sideways, the horizontal layering no longer works, and the characters would look weird. Well, not the monocolored ones, but certainly Zeke.