IGNORED

"Red Storm Rising" (C-64) Ultimate Challenge Materials Release Topic

RARusk

If you are a fan of the Commodore 64 and the game "Red Storm Rising" in particular then I have a VERY special treat for you.

In months past I have mentioned my involvement in a contest twenty years ago concerning the Commodore 64 version of "Red Storm Rising". Tonight, after months of getting stuff together, I am releasing two pieces of material concerning the "Red Storm Rising" Ultimate Challenge Contest which was held in January-May of 1989.

The first piece of material is a large .pdf file:

RSRUCC.pdf

This .pdf file briefly explains the game, MicroProse Software, and goes into detail of my involvement in the contest and how the Battle Disks, which were special disks used in the contest, were finally uploaded onto a PC for eventual distribution to the net.

In addition, and the reason this document is so large, there are many scans of advertisements, letters, the entire manual that came with the Battle Disks, photos, and an article about the contest.

A very worthwhile addition to the history of retro gaming on the Commodore 64.

The second piece of material are the images (in .d64 format) of the Battle Disks themselves:

Battle_Disk_Images.zip

This contains four disk images (which holds sixteen specially created game saves made for the contest) and a README file. The README file briefly touches on the contest but goes into detail about the disks and how they were used. I also go into detail about the battles on those images.

Now, with these images, you can try your hand at becoming "Admiral of the Fleet". A rank, which up until now, only a small handful, including myself, had the opportunity to vie for.

The reason I chose AtariAge to upload this material is because it is the only forum I know where I can upload to the forums easily and that it is a place I am familiar with thanks to years of lurking/posting here. In addition, AtariAge has a large active retro gaming community.

Please let me know if there are any problems or mistakes with what I have attached here.

• 1 month later...

Managed to get my hands on VICE for my Mac Mini but surprised it currently doesn't offer joypad or true joystick support. Still looks good though.

I haven't received any feedback on the Battle Disks thus far. But that can be a good thing since that tells me that nobody is having any technical problems with them.

Is everybody having fun with the Battle Disks so far? Anybody have any observations, strategies, or comments?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Ask on the Lemon64 forums, I cross posted the release on that forum where it got some attention. BTW Thx for uploading this, wasted many a day on RSR, havn't tried this version myself as I never was that great at the regular game but these contest releases are really cool bits of 8-bit history.

One thing interesting about this game was that it was an adaptation of a book, other than various comics, Tolkien and Holmes, I can't recollect many other instances of game adaptations of a novel that didn't involve cross promoting a movie/tv show adaptation.

• 5 years later...

This .pdf file briefly explains the game..

You see, if you get hit and survive and successfully finish the

mission, your ER increases. Think of it as a survival bonus.

Well, imagine what your ER would look like if you survive one

hit at Ultimate level. Then imagine what it would look like if

you survive THREE hits.

Thanks m8,

I have been waiting for this information from the early 90tie till now. I always wondered why I haven't been promoted to Admiral of the Fleet and didn't receive CMOH. Now I know.

Edited by iMorpheus