IGNORED

SIO Connectors (and help) Needed

c0nsumer

As part of the final validation work I'm doing for the SDrive NUXX I need some help with SIO connectors. I've been able to get my hands on what appear to be two different kinds of SIO connectors (thick and thin base) under four part numbers:

JAE D03
: In all the Japanese-made Atari hardware I have. Thick base, well made. Held down with self-tapping screws or riveted in place. (
)

MX 7514-4-13
: Received from B & C ComputerVisions when I ordered two connectors. I expected them to be new, but they are very obviously pulls (dirty parts / slightly bent pins / solder on pins). (
)

CO12995 5-82-4 MEC-5
: Inside a Hong Kong-made 800XL. Appears identical to the MX 7514-4-13. Riveted in place. (
)

UNKNOWN
: Connector similar to the previous two, in a Singapore-made 1050. I could read TAIWAN on the back, but while I could ensure it's not the same as the part in the 800XL I couldn't make out the rest of the part numbers. Held down to the PCB only by the 15 pins and nothing in the larger holes. (
)

Here's where I need the help: Do any of you know of any other types of SIO connectors besides these two general kinds? I want to be sure that the SDrive NUXX SIO part footprint can accomidate whatever type of SIO connector someone uses with it, so I want to be as complete as possible.

More photos of these SIO connectors can be seen here: SIO Connectors

Thanks, everyone!

-Steve

Edited by c0nsumer

the okidata wings are non standard thick skinny tabs but the pins and footprint of all the others should be pretty much the same

How do you mean non-standard? Those JAE D03 connectors from the Okidata printer are exactly the same as the ones in the Japanese-made Atari 1010 and 1027 that I have. (This connector.) I just didn't take any photos of the connectors in those devices as I already had a stand-alone part to look at. I'd say that there are two "standards". One an older style with a more complex molding (the JAE D03), and the newer multi-numbered thin/flat wing parts.

The headshell on the flat/wide tabs is just slightly longer than on the JAE D03 parts, but not enough to matter. It'll just stick out the back of the case another 0.5mm - 1.0mm.

Oh, and one thing I really like about the JAE D03 is that a self-tapping plastic screw can be used to easily hold it to the PCB. Not that I think it's necessary to screw the shell to the PCB...

Edited by c0nsumer

I agree not enough to make a difference the self tapping screws can be used on either set, I have some that have lock washers on the thin wings. some are rivetted and some have no method of a secure attachment at all.

You beat me before the edit, my internet connection is saturated with another big transfer...

Edited by _The Doctor__

I agree not enough to make a difference the self tapping screws can be used on either set, I have some that have lock washers on the thin wings. some are rivetted and some have no method of a secure attachment at all.

I wouldn't say that the self-tapping screws can be used on the thin connectors, as there is only 2mm or so of plastic there. I don't think that's enough to grab on to.

For what it's worth, what I'm doing on the SDrive NUXX PCB is providing holes for the DB13 mount, but no holes for the SIO ports. I figure they aren't needed, and finding very small quantity self tapping hardware is difficult anyway. However, I am marking the centers of the holes (in copper and silkscreen) so that if one does want to drill holes and use screws (of whatever kind; self-tapping, machine screws, whatever) they can. I figure this is an ideal compromise. Personally, I probably won't be using any sort of fasteners.

Of course, I want to be especially particular to be sure that I'm not failing to take into account some bizarre SIO connector variation.

You beat me before the edit, my internet connection is saturated with another big transfer...

Heh, sorry... I replied before you did the edit on this one as well. Just happened to notice it when reloading the thread in another tab. ;)

Edited by c0nsumer

X 7514-4-13: Received from B & C ComputerVisions when I ordered two connectors. I expected them to be new, but they are very obviously pulls (dirty parts / slightly bent pins / solder on pins). (Photo)

This is the original stamped Molex connector. If you leave room for the footprint of this connector all of the others will fit fine.

There are a couple odd variants, like the non right-angle ones used in 1025 printers which will are rare and useless, but others should fit fine within the molex footprint.

Steve

This is the original stamped Molex connector. If you leave room for the footprint of this connector all of the others will fit fine.

There are a couple odd variants, like the non right-angle ones used in 1025 printers which will are rare and useless, but others should fit fine within the molex footprint.

Thanks, that's good to know. That connector fit nicely into what I'd already drawn, so I think I'm pretty much set footprint-wise.

-Steve