IGNORED

Help me decide on my next console

davepesc

I've had the Wii for 2 years now, but haven't bought a new game for it since Mario Kart (8 months?), and there's not much looming on the horizon. Deadly creatures, maybe?

So, I'm trying to nail down a decision between a 360 and a PS3. I'm leaning heavily toward a 360, but I'm looking for input.

I mostly enjoy role-playing games, strategy games, and quirky, offbeat, fun games. I hate first-person shooters, so throw those out of the mix.

Xbox seems to have the best online system, and several of my friends are already on Live. Both systems have most of the games i'm interested in, but the 360 is cheaper ($250 Pro system). About the only thing I'd totally miss out on is Metal Gear.

Don't much care about Blu-Ray or Netflix. I'm only interested in games. And if it matters, I do not have a hi-def TV, just an old boob tube.

Should I go for the 360?

I mostly enjoy role-playing games, strategy games, and quirky, offbeat, fun games. I hate first-person shooters, so throw those out of the mix.

Should I go for the 360?

RPGs = Enchanted Arms, Lost Odyssey, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, and a few others.

Strategy = Civilization Revolution, Halo Wars (coming soon), Commanders: Attack of the Genos

Offbeat fun = Puzzle Quest, Culdcept Saga, quite a few Live Arcade titles.

probably go for the 360. it's cheap, effective, has lots of games (pack-ins too) and an awesome controller. You already have friends on live, so if you got the ps3 you really wouldn't have anybody to play against. Also a lot games that are on both ps3 and 360 tend to be ever so slightly better on 360.

don't get me wrong, there are good reasons to buy a ps3 over a 360 but your biggest factor should probably be where your friends are at. At least that's where mine would be. There will be plenty of time to own a ps3 later--I feel as though ps3 is just warming up.

-------------------------------------------------------

That said I don't own a 360 myself. they're too unreliable, lack some important features (pc racing wheel support), and then they make me *pay* for online gaming. There are also ps3 exclusives I care about (eye of judgment, gran turismo) where 360 has no exclusives that matter to me. And finally, white hardware tends to get dirty and turn yellow. But, because of a lot of what I've mentioned above, I can really see how people are drawn to 360.

360 +1

RPGs = Infinite Undiscovery, (Not the best RPG the 360 has to offer but others have already listed the best ones) Another stinker that I really got into was Two Worlds...me and 5 other guys liked that game. It was so bad it was great.

Strategy = Universe at War, Worms, Carcassonne, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offbeat fun = Beautiful Katamari, Overlord, Viva Pinata 1&2 (I can't believe no-one mentioned Viva!)

I've had the Wii for 2 years now, but haven't bought a new game for it since Mario Kart (8 months?), and there's not much looming on the horizon. Deadly creatures, maybe?

So, I'm trying to nail down a decision between a 360 and a PS3. I'm leaning heavily toward a 360, but I'm looking for input.

Xbox seems to have the best online system, and several of my friends are already on Live. Both systems have most of the games i'm interested in, but the 360 is cheaper ($250 Pro system). About the only thing I'd totally miss out on is Metal Gear.

Don't much care about Blu-Ray or Netflix. I'm only interested in games. And if it matters, I do not have a hi-def TV, just an old boob tube.

Should I go for the 360?

PS3

360 is a POS and will die on you multiple times

Having owned both a PS3 & 360 at the same time, i have to say 360, I sold the PS3 simply because there were no exclusives on PS3 I wanted, the 360 library is better for me. I also like the pads better.

The whole RROD is an issue but then I know 2 PS3 owners who systems have failed so who can really say.

My sons 360 has been back once in 2 years and he's 10 years old so the system is NOT babied, the refurb has been flawless. My Falcon has been going since oct '07 with no issues(touch wood). Your mileage may vary.

Witchever system you get Fallout3 and Oblivion are unmissable as is Mass Effect. I also love Puzzle Quest & Space Giraffe amongst others on Live Arcade.

Plus points on the PS3 are free online, Bluray but as you don't have HD you'll not give a shit about that and BC with the PS1.

Either way I reckon you'll have fun :-)

Chris

It's a shame Dreamcast wasn't on your list. ;)

That said I don't own a 360 myself. they're too unreliable, lack some important features (pc racing wheel support), and then they make me *pay* for online gaming.

Why I don't plan on getting a 360 any time soon even though there seem to be a lot of games I would really enjoy. I just can't bring myself to support a company that knows it will have what would make me feel like a sucker continuously buying something that they don't seem to care about fixing. It really is a shame and makes me mad because I would otherwise really want one. I don't have the patience to spend $300-500 (after games and extras) of my hard earned and saved money and know that the DVD drive or RROD could kaput it at any time. It would piss me off and ruin a lot of the fun to have to keep sending it back especially if I really get into a game. For that amt of money I should get something that is decent quality or at least has a better chance of being good quality.

It sounds like you are going to be another person to get in line and buy a 360 anyway, although if I had money to burn I wouldn''t blame you. Please get every warrenty you can and double up even. Buy it from a big place like best buy or I hate to say Game Stop because they offer additional warrenties and good luck.

I do hope you have a lot of fun with whatever system you choose!

Really depends on what you want from your gaming system:

If online play appeals to you the most, then Xbox360 is probably the better choice as XboxLive is fantastic.

If HD movies appeal to you, then the PS3 with its Blu-ray capabilities is probably the better choice.

Both systems have excellent exclusive games on disk and within their respective stores.

So it really comes down to whichever system has the library, both current and upcoming, and features that appeasl to you the most.

For myself, the PS3 gets the VAST amount of use in our house. The wife-unit and I enjoy the quality of Blu-ray movies like Planet Earth and I'm addicted to the PS3 exclusives.... Metal Gear, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted, Pixel Junk Monsters, Crash Commando's, Rachet & Clank, Every Day Shooter, etc.... far more than I am to 360 exclusives.

But I would highly recommend an HD TV for whichever system you choose. You will enjoy your system of choice much, much more when you view it in 720p. After a few minutes of squinting at text in games like Dead Rising on SD TV, you'll really especially appreciate HD.

Mendon

It's a shame Dreamcast wasn't on your list. ;)

Why I don't plan on getting a 360 any time soon even though there seem to be a lot of games I would really enjoy. I just can't bring myself to support a company that knows it will have what would make me feel like a sucker continuously buying something that they don't seem to care about fixing. It really is a shame and makes me mad because I would otherwise really want one. I don't have the patience to spend $300-500 (after games and extras) of my hard earned and saved money and know that the DVD drive or RROD could kaput it at any time. It would piss me off and ruin a lot of the fun to have to keep sending it back especially if I really get into a game. For that amt of money I should get something that is decent quality or at least has a better chance of being good quality.

It sounds like you are going to be another person to get in line and buy a 360 anyway, although if I had money to burn I wouldn''t blame you. Please get every warrenty you can and double up even. Buy it from a big place like best buy or I hate to say Game Stop because they offer additional warrenties and good luck.

I do hope you have a lot of fun with whatever system you choose!

I agree with you 100%!!!

I'm on my 4th 360 and have said all along when it comes to the point that I have to pay MS to repair my 360, I'm done with the system. I will not pour money into a known defective product or buy a second defective product in case the first one breaks.

Though I enjoy my 360 and there are some excellent features and games for it, I won't spend further money on a company that knows it has a defective product and cannot find a way to fix that product, even after three years. That's the main reason I've purchased the PS3 version of multi-platform games (Fallout, Far Cry, etc) as I just don't have any confidence that my current 360 will last beyond the 90 day warranty that MS gives on refurbs. And if I dump the system then I don't want to also be out extra money that I've spent on games.

The PS3 isn't without problems as there many posts on the official Sony forums from people who have had the lens go out on their console or get the Yellow Light of Death. But your chances of having a problem-free console are far, far better with the PS3 than they are for the 360.

One last thing... and maybe someone else can confirm/dispute it if I have my facts wrong..... but GameStop doesn't offer an extended warranty on 360 consoles they sell and haven't for quite some time. There were published stories about this quite awhile ago, stating that there were just too many problems with the 360 and GameStop stopped offering an extended warranty for that console.

Whether GameStop offers extended warranties on the Wii, PS3, DS, or PSP I don't know... but I did read stories that they don't offer them on 360's.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Culdecept Saga and Viva Pinata were both recommended by some friends (one is really anxious for me to join in with Culdecept). I'd also want Braid, Street Fighter IV, and Gears of War right off the bat too. Oblivion and Mass Effect are high on the list as well. I keep hearing great things about Fallout 3, but there's the whole 1st-person thing... Oh, and Left 4 Dead...

*prays for tax return to arrive

Chickybaby: Already own a Dreamcast :)

Would edit, but that's disabled.

Went and bought Deadly Creatures for the Wii. It's quite fun playing as a tarantula/scorpion and some of the boss fights are very creative and intense. So far, I'm up to chapter 3 and it's a lot of "run here, fight mob, run to next area, fight mob." Very linear, but I'm hoping it opens up a bit later. Might have to do a full review once I play more.

Too bad it doesn't say "Mario" or "Wii" in the title, so like 30 people will buy it.

I only have a gamecube and not a Wii but it sounds really interetsing. :)

Would edit, but that's disabled.

Went and bought Deadly Creatures for the Wii. It's quite fun playing as a tarantula/scorpion and some of the boss fights are very creative and intense. So far, I'm up to chapter 3 and it's a lot of "run here, fight mob, run to next area, fight mob." Very linear, but I'm hoping it opens up a bit later. Might have to do a full review once I play more.

Too bad it doesn't say "Mario" or "Wii" in the title, so like 30 people will buy it.

It's called an ATARI....You might find them on ebay

Alternately, try this link for REAL game play

Do you think I'd be asking for advice on ATARIAGE if I didn't already own an Atari (and share some gaming preferences with the general community here)?

And I love the Super Genintari. Would save me from having to switch hookups among the 4 systems!

Another vote for the 360.

I love my PS3 I really do. But...it just always comes up short. It's like that drop dead gorgeous girl that you finally get with and she's horrible in the sack. She's got it all but just ends up being not as good as you imagined.

360 is like the hot girl you finally get with and you wonder when she's going to go psycho. You know she will, it's just when. But she's great in the sack, so you stick around.

Online:

360 wins by a landfall. Or 2. Or maybe even a 100. It works constantly, everyone is on there, you can voice chat no matter what, and updates don't happen daily and don't take an additional day to download. Then another 12 hours to install. I get it, I know why the PS3 does it that way, I still think it sucks ass. I don't like it.

The amount offered on the 360 is huge. Something for everybody somewhere. And it's is so simple to use.

Games:

I find myself turning on the PS3 once a week, looking for something, anything. There really isn't much to play there that I can't on the 360. The few games that are standout on the PS3 that are exclusives are excellent. But then we get to that chick that's bad in the sack thing again. Little Big Planet should be huge. It should set the standard for games. But it's gimped by horrible online connections, that have gotten better, but still really sucky. The game was meant to be shared with users everywhere, but do to the PS3 having a half baked online experience, you just really don't get the full flavor of the game. Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 don't incorporate online campaign co-op. Maybe not a big deal....5 years ago. Sony's fault? Maybe not, but can't help but think that if the system was built with online as a feature instead of an addition, a company would be ashamed to release games like that. They usually are on the 360.

Those 3 and a few others I think make the PS3 worth owning plus blu-ray. But not owning over a 360. I never even think of getting the PS3 version of a game over the 360 version. Graphics are usually pretty close, but add-on content, online play, and no updates or mandatory installs makes it so much better on the 360.

Media:

I give the nod to the PS3 here. It seems to be less picky about what you can stream from a PC and it works very well. And downloading movies that you buy at the PS Store is nice. And blu-ray is nice. The integration with the PSP is also awesome for movies, music, or games. I usually take the PS3 route when streaming over the 360.

360 does have Netflix though and we use the crap outta that.

Hardware:

Do I really have to say it? PS3 works. 360 will but ya never know. Get a warranty, even through MS for the 360. Cheap and painless.

I will go on record and say, knock on wood, that my one 360 is a release day console. Gets used for probably 20-30+ hrs a week by our son. Never RROD. It's quiet too. DVD crapped out on it, MS fixed it for free out of warranty. Found out our sons cousin kinda had a few discs in there at the same time and taxed it a little too hard. Got the Elite the day it came out. Problem free. I am totally the exception on this though.

Edited by Starscream

UPDATE: Got my 360 Pro system today. Came with Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda. Picked up an extra controller that came packed with Viva Pinata: Party Animals . Also got Culdecept Saga and Street Fighter IV.

The kids love Party Animals and SFIV rocks. Can't wait to try Culdecept. Now I just need a 50ft. ethernet cable so I can reach my router! (not paying $100 for the wireless adapter, any other suggestions for solving this problem?)

UPDATE: Got my 360 Pro system today. Came with Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda. Picked up an extra controller that came packed with Viva Pinata: Party Animals . Also got Culdecept Saga and Street Fighter IV.

The kids love Party Animals and SFIV rocks. Can't wait to try Culdecept. Now I just need a 50ft. ethernet cable so I can reach my router! (not paying $100 for the wireless adapter, any other suggestions for solving this problem?)

I love the Culdcept game but personally I think the AI cheats like a mother f'er. Usually if you keep playing the same round over and over after getting you ass smeared 3 times, eventually you'll beat the AI senseless. It's almost like it keeps track of how many times its beat you and just gives up and lets you win. Very frustrating. Better to play online with a real person.

Also just so you know the original Xbox wireless adapter works fine with the 360. I have one and it was a piece of cake to set up is half the price.

I got mine for $39.99 shipped. Granted if you don't mind running a cable you could probably spend $1 and accomplish the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Networ...274&sr=8-11

Edited by moycon

I use powerline ethernet adapters (Netgear HDXB101) for one of my 360's since there isn't an outlet in that room. They work really well. They're pretty pricey from a store, but ebay has 'em for fairly cheap.

Should I go for the 360?

PS3

360 is a POS and will die on you multiple times

I bought mine used from and add in the local newspaper almost two years ago... she's still running strong!

maybe I've just been lucky so far.

-rick

Do whatever you can to not need the wireless adaptor. Trust me, it's a piece of garbage and your ping rate will be in the red all the time.

Not true in the least. I have both wireless adapters, one on the Elite in the living room, and one on my pro-unit in the bonus room, both are downstairs from my wireless router and have to travel through floors and/or walls to get connected. I stream Netflix and music to both and play online games like Left4Dead and Halo3 with no lag. I always have 4 bars. Just check the 100's of great rating on Amazon if you doubt it. Do you honestly think they would be rated so high if they were "garbage"? That if folks pings were always in the red, they'd praise the adapters? The biggest complaint is the cost...not the quality.

My experience with the PS3 is the exact opposite. In spite of claims that its got kick ass state of the art blue-tooth, my updates take around 20-30 minutes (I had to update Pain once again last week-end....a frickin Sony Store game!!) as opposed to the roughly 10 seconds it take to update a 360 game. The PS3 sits in the same damn room as the 360. State of the art? Hmmmm.

I know you'll take any opportunity to state your love for the PS3 Daytona, but come on dude, lay off snide untrue bashing to try and justify it to others.

Edited by moycon

See that's odd.. online with my 360 was literally, nearly impossible. Updates ect. were speedy, but Call of Duty, Soul Calibur 4, ect were so bad it was laughable. I mean, I couldn't move around. SC4 was literally a slide show. I replaced the wifi adaptor twice, and still no luck.

However my wii and PS3 even play perfectly. I can play call of duty, street fighter 4, soul calibur 4, warhawk, ect without a blip. It's so smooth I forget I'm playing online sometimes. Where as the 360's wifi adaptor made it the worst online experience i've had since the Gamecube.

Don't get me wrong, Live is a wonderful service. But concidering my only option was wifi and not a hard connection (which is muuuuch better) I couldn't play to save my life.