IGNORED

Evil Magician Returns (Adventure-type game)

Byte Knight

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for awhile and decided it was time for me to make a game... Adventure has always been one of my favorites, so this game is based on the Evil Magician mentioned in the Adventure manual. The premise is that his dragons are now dead, so he and his apprentice have returned and captured the golden chalice. The Evil Magician (red wizard) has the ability to shoot fireballs, his apprentice (white wizard) does not. You too have the ability to shoot fireballs after you've acquired the staff. The red wizard tends to guard certain items, while the white wizard avoids them. You've also brought a backpack with you this time so you can carry multiple items. Otherwise, it's very similar to Adventure.

I plan on having 3 levels like Adventure, so this one is somewhere between level 1 and 2 difficulty. I'll probably get rid of the red wizard's fireballs on level 1.

The game has no sound and I'd like to add the original Adventure sounds but I've got no idea how to do this...

Thanks to Batari for making this possible! What do you guys think?

emr.bin

Update 6/7/09

Here is the latest release along with manual and map:

emr10.bin

PAL Version here:

emr-pal60.bin

EMRmanual.pdf

post-16548-1238541330_thumb.jpg

Update 3/26/10

I've done several boxed runs of the game:

post-16548-126966428183_thumb.jpgpost-16548-126966430932_thumb.jpg

post-16548-126966433182_thumb.jpg

PM me if you're interested in a copy!

Edited by Byte Knight
  • Like 1

Hi Byte Knight

Wow,looks really good,but it is damn hard to play,if you do not find the staff quickly.

A good sequel to Adventure.

greetings Walter

Thanks Walter,

My beta testers (my kids) also think it's hard. However, you get to keep all of your items (except the golden chalice) when you die. Just hit space bar (and not reset) to start at the gold castle again. Also, the white wizard will not follow you into a room with an item so you can lose him that way.

Great job, you're doing great so far! Welcome to the forum btw, glad you decided to stop lurking.

This looks really good, and is already well-polished. Did you create your code from scratch, or are you using an example posted by someone? I hate, hate, HATE mazes so it turned me off quickly, but still very impressed.

Great job, you're doing great so far! Welcome to the forum btw, glad you decided to stop lurking.

This looks really good, and is already well-polished. Did you create your code from scratch, or are you using an example posted by someone? I hate, hate, HATE mazes so it turned me off quickly, but still very impressed.

Thanks ! I created the code from scratch although I used Ararius Maximus's code for the titlescreen. The hardest part was getting the wizards to chase you while they're offscreen. The mazes aren't too bad if you stick to the sides. I can post a map if that would turn you back on...

I hate, hate, HATE mazes so it turned me off quickly, but still very impressed.

Same for me. Looks like it might turn out to be a good game if the objects are randomly placed.

I agree - that's what I love about Adventure. Level 3 will choose randomly from 16 different object placements. The wizards also start out in a random room and move in a random direction...

BTW, I've had your online manual open in my browser for over 2 weeks straight... Thanks!

Edited by Byte Knight

Hi ByteKnight,

I like your progress! I beat the game after a few tries, but one thing I'd like to see is a bit more strategy/options when fighting the wizard guys. For instance, was the decision to not let you shoot up or down just a way to increase the difficulty? The only reason I'm asking is because I found al the keys and the Chalice really quick, but getting the Chalice back felt more like a chore, with those small corridors giving me no chance to survive if a wizard appeared. But then I figured out to just sort of hunt and snipe the wizards right before I got the Chalice (I like the little sniping hole in the Grey castle screen BTW). Anyway, once I figured that stuff out, I can beat the game in less than two minutes, sometimes less than one, so some varied challenge might be in order. More enemies, areas and item types would help. A uniqu game mechanic like the original "bat" would be interesting too... how about a thief that steals your items, who you have to hunt down?

Anyway great start!

Jarod.

Edited by jrok

Thanks ! I created the code from scratch although I used Ararius Maximus's code for the titlescreen. The hardest part was getting the wizards to chase you while they're offscreen. The mazes aren't too bad if you stick to the sides. I can post a map if that would turn you back on...

I think you should try to save maps for a manual/strategy guide if you decide to release a cartridge; it makes knowing how big the game world is optional for those who prefer to find out by playing. As far as the wizards, tracking off-screen locations and x/y's can eat up ram fast - if your code is efficient it would be cool if you would share. I haven't seen any good examples of that posted here.

The mazes aren't too hard, and that's part of the problem. If they present more of an obstacle than a challenge, they become more of a nuisance than an enjoyable element of game play. That was one of the draws of The Legend of Zelda, the landscape on most screens is meant to enhance gameplay vs obstruct your path and slow you down. It's a fine line between challenging and tedious.

Like I said though, I hate mazes, so I'm not a good judge of the ones in your game. Things do at least move really fast though, I like that.

Hi ByteKnight,

I like your progress! I beat the game after a few tries, but one thing I'd like to see is a bit more strategy/options when fighting the wizard guys. For instance, was the decision to not let you shoot up or down just a way to increase the difficulty? The only reason I'm asking is because I found al the keys and the Chalice really quick, but getting the Chalice back felt more like a chore, with those small corridors giving me no chance to survive if a wizard appeared. But then I figured out to just sort of hunt and snipe the wizards right before I got the Chalice (I like the little sniping hole in the Grey castle screen BTW). Anyway, once I figured that stuff out, I can beat the game in less than two minutes, sometimes less than one, so some varied challenge might be in order. More enemies, areas and item types would help. A uniqu game mechanic like the original "bat" would be interesting too... how about a thief that steals your items, who you have to hunt down?

Anyway great start!

Jarod.

Thanks Jarod. I only let you and the wizard shoot sideways to stay true to Adventure. When you're fighting the dragons with the sword in Adventure, it's usually sideways.. I made it easy for you to get the staff on this level, much like the sword in level 1 of Adventure. Levels 2 and 3 will be more difficult when it's not so easy to get the staff, and will require more hiding out in rooms with items until the coast is clear. The biggest limitation in my game was trying to use multiple sprites of the same player on screen - I could not get the collision detection to work very well so that's why there aren't more enemies... That and I'm out of variables!

I think you should try to save maps for a manual/strategy guide if you decide to release a cartridge; it makes knowing how big the game world is optional for those who prefer to find out by playing. As far as the wizards, tracking off-screen locations and x/y's can eat up ram fast - if your code is efficient it would be cool if you would share. I haven't seen any good examples of that posted here.

The mazes aren't too hard, and that's part of the problem. If they present more of an obstacle than a challenge, they become more of a nuisance than an enjoyable element of game play. That was one of the draws of The Legend of Zelda, the landscape on most screens is meant to enhance gameplay vs obstruct your path and slow you down. It's a fine line between challenging and tedious.

Like I said though, I hate mazes, so I'm not a good judge of the ones in your game. Things do at least move really fast though, I like that.

I'll try to post some code later tonight. Unfortunately I haven't put in any rem statements. Basically, the program "remembers" which direction (north, south, east, or west) the player was going when the player leaves the screen. The wizard will then head in this direction, so it's possible to lose him if you get far enough ahead...

I'm not sure if it's efficient, but here is the code that controls on and offscreen movement of one of the wizards. wx and wy are the wizards x and y coordinates, px and py are player's coordinates. wr is the wizard's room and pr is player's room. t is used for a speed throttle while on screen. y{x} is the direction in which the player left the screen. z{4} is turned on when the wizard dies...

main

if !z{4} && pr = wr then gosub wizard else gosub offscreen2

goto main

wizard

COLUP0=14

player0:

%00011111

%00001110

%00011100

%00111000

%11111000

%00111000

%00011000

%00111100

%00011000

%00001000

end

player0x = wx:player0y = wy+3

t = t + 1

if wx > px then REFP0=0 else REFP0=8

if wx > px && t = 2 then wx = wx - 1

if wx < px && t = 2 then wx = wx + 1

if wy > py && t = 2 then wy = wy - 1

if wy < py && t = 2 then wy = wy + 1

y{1}=0:y{2}=0:y{3}=0:y{4}=0

if px = 16 then y{4}=1

if px = 140 then y{2}=1

if py = 1 then y{1}=1

if py = 90 then y{3}=1

if t > 1 then t = 0

return

offscreen2

player0x=0:player0y=0

if y{4} then wx = wx - 1

if y{2} then wx = wx + 1

if y{1} then wy = wy - 1

if y{3} then wy = wy + 1

if wx = 16 then wx = 139:wr = wr - 1

if wx = 140 then wx = 17:wr = wr + 1

if wy = 1 then wy = 89: wr = wr - 3

if wy = 90 then wy = 2: wr = wr + 3

if wr < 1 then wr = wr + 18

if wr > 21 then wr = wr - 18

return

I like this game. You've managed to keep the "feel" of the original Adventure without making it an outright clone. Way to go, can't wait to see the higher difficulty levels. :D

I agree. Other than the the vertical lines it looks like a "regular" game. No offense to the Batari style games. I am just glad appears to be a good sequel with out being a clone or look like a hack of Adventure.

I like this game. You've managed to keep the "feel" of the original Adventure without making it an outright clone. Way to go, can't wait to see the higher difficulty levels. :D

I agree. Other than the the vertical lines it looks like a "regular" game. No offense to the Batari style games. I am just glad appears to be a good sequel with out being a clone or look like a hack of Adventure.

Thanks guys! Apparently there's a way to get rid of those lines but it would mean losing the fireballs (missiles). Here's the game with all 3 levels. Levels 1 and 2 have fixed item postions. Level 3 picks randomly from 14 different configurations. I'm thinking I may need to add another wizard (maybe black) that comes after you once you've killed the red wizard and have the golden chalice. Still no sound - I'm hoping someone can help me with that. See what you think...

emr3.bin

Edited by Byte Knight

The game has no sound and I'd like to add the original Adventure sounds but I've got no idea how to do this...

Just take a look at the Adventure source, you can find the disassembly here.

Is there a way to do this without learning assembly language?

As you want to use the original sounds in your game you can just take a look at the sound-values in the disassembly and use them in your own game.

As you want to use the original sounds in your game you can just take a look at the sound-values in the disassembly and use them in your own game.

So, are you saying that I could take the following code for picking up an object (or dropping) and plug it directly into the basic code where I want it to make a sound?

;Noise 4 : Dropping Object.

NoiseDropObject:

LDA $DF ;Get Not Count ;3

EOR #$03 ;Reverse it as noise does up. ;2

NoiseDropObject_2:

STA AUDF0 ;Store in Frequency for Channel 00. ;3

LDA #$05 ;2

STA AUDV0 ;Set Volume on Channel 00. ;3

LDA #$06 ;2

STA AUDC0 ;Set a Noise on Channel 00. ;3

RTS ;6

So, are you saying that I could take the following code for picking up an object (or dropping) and plug it directly into the basic code where I want it to make a sound?

;Noise 4 : Dropping Object.

NoiseDropObject:

LDA $DF ;Get Not Count ;3

EOR #$03 ;Reverse it as noise does up. ;2

NoiseDropObject_2:

STA AUDF0 ;Store in Frequency for Channel 00. ;3

LDA #$05 ;2

STA AUDV0 ;Set Volume on Channel 00. ;3

LDA #$06 ;2

STA AUDC0 ;Set a Noise on Channel 00. ;3

RTS ;6

No, you have to look for the values of AUDF0 and AUDC0 and use them in your bB code. Or you can play around with Tone Toy 2008 and see if you can find some fitting sounds with it.