IGNORED

The Best C64 Demo (Can A8 do better ?)

coze

Already been discussed some time ago.

The nicest part of that demo is the near seamless transitions between parts.

But... a lot of the demo is just doing stuff that the C-64 "by the book" isn't supposed to do.

Sprites in the border, yawn. Atari can display anything in a 352 x 240 region without any tricks.

And, all that aside, regulars here are kinda tired of Commodore people registering here for the sole purpose of starting shitfights.

ok, to make myself clear, this is not a shitfight. I just want to know what Atari users considers as the best demo on A8, and why do they think it is superior to C64 demos (if they think so). So far I have no answers. I will not directly answer anyone to avoid the shitfight. I just want to see the answers. The stage is yours ;)

I'm sorry but Atari vs Commodore thread is very long, lots of off topic talk and there's no guarantee I'm gonna find what I'm looking for there.

ok, to make myself clear, this is not a shitfight. I just want to know what Atari users considers as the best demo on A8, and why do they think it is superior to C64 demos (if they think so). So far I have no answers. I will not directly answer anyone to avoid the shitfight. I just want to see the answers. The stage is yours ;)

I'm sorry but Atari vs Commodore thread is very long, lots of off topic talk and there's no guarantee I'm gonna find what I'm looking for there.

The

is still my favorite. Maybe not overly impressive effects, but it's fast, with some nice 50Hz vector-graphics-like effects, nice music, and it does not take too long.

How to make a comparision when the hardware base is only sharing the same CPU and the rest of the hardware is fully different.

"Edge of disgrace" even made me saying "wow" but I still will not turn into a C64 fan.

The before mentioned "Drunken Chessboard" shows already FX, the C64 cannot do, even with a 1GHz CPU ... the smart lightsource FX for example.

Looking at "The Shrine" with the 16 shades of one colour... Well, not much 8 bit machines can display such 3D qualities, particular when it comes to movement on the screen.

Pure

Well, the Demo needed almost 30 years to appear, to see something "real impossible". The Demo comes with a file of 12K size. So there hardly anything is precalculated ..

Edited by emkay

Well, I learned three things from this thread.

1) Drunken Chessboard is really cool (Never seen that before)

2) The "Best Demo on the C64" may be cool, but it is MIND BENDINGLY BORING.

and

3) 16 colour plasmas get old very, very, very quickly. Especially when repeated ad nausium (I must admit I gave up at the "swap disk" part due to tedium)

Seriously, WHO CARES?

The A8 can play Rescue of Fractalus MUCH better, but Racing Destruction Set is far nicer on the C64. Get over it and stop comparing. Jeez, is it 1982 again?

You can say that 336 (168)x240 is the base resolution ANTIC has to offer for standard NTSC TV sets. Smaller resolutions were chosen by the fact that DMA cycles steal some CPU time.

An old game that uses full h-res : http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4420

And an old demo : http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=342

It's really nothing special for the A8.

Edited by emkay

The Numen FX were all done separatly and then linked together in few days if I remember that correct. Eru & Fox got some drinks (i suppose) and then put the stuff together and made little transitions between... As discussed trillions of time... what we Atari demo coders most of the time never put much afford on it was design and syncing the stuff together...

most of the c64 tricks are sometimes build in Atari hardware already (widescreen, chunky 2x2,4x4... many colours, FLi, open borders, FLD, etc etc) in pure 3d stuff we have a linear bitmap possibility or even 128/256 bytes scanlines... ;) so even there we can use our CPU horsepower...

@ Math you

aehm... in basic type POKE 559,35 and you are in widescreen mode... ;) it would be like asking Amiga guys why they are using fullscreen... ;) on ST not so easy on Amiga/Atari800 one LDA/STA plus Copperlist/Displaylist.

(I must admit I gave up at the "swap disk" part due to tedium)

Yes, it is boring, all effects look slow and the demo generally lacks the dynamics, especially in comparison with the Drunk Chessboard. I think however, that the part mainly guilty for that impression is the sedative sountrack, listening to it for more than 5 minutes simply makes you sleepy.

This may be a matter of taste, but I am surprised that the C-64 scene considers the Edge of Disgrace "the best C-64 demo ever".

Yes, it is boring, all effects look slow and the demo generally lacks the dynamics, especially in comparison with the Drunk Chessboard. I think however, that the part mainly guilty for that impression is the sedative sountrack, listening to it for more than 5 minutes simply makes you sleepy.

I did like the part with the rotating morphing polyhedra. That sort of thing isn't very common in C-64 demos. And clipping it with a plane while it was in motion was nifty too.

I still have to go with what seems to be the consensus. It is a very well done demo but it isn't going to make C-64 fanboys out of us.

OK, I've read the Atari vs Commodore thread and I'll post just one question. Give me the best A8 Demo ever made to save your lovely Atari from the Edge of Disgrace ...

I think the problem is that Atari demos tend to become games, at which point they cease to be demos... So there's really only a limited time where the A8 can "compete" in this dubious genre. Another recent thread pointed out that the

demo is quite good. It seems visibly better than your example demo, but I might be biased because I know that like most Atari demos, this one will become a playable game someday.

In 1984 I sold my 'soul' to atari 8bit. I know there are better systems, and ofcourse the modern hardware can do much more... but as said: my soul belongs to my atari 8bit.

I will never get more excited about a computer, than what I feel with my atari 8bit.

Even the looks of the word "READY" are far better, compared to whatever computer there is.

So I'm not the right person to give a trustable opinion about this.

And concerning demo's...

My all time favorite demo (and yes I know all those great other projectes too) is the Little Color Demo done by High Tech Team. It's simple and looks FANTASTIC.

You really should give it a look.

Marius

So you haven't read that thread, because earlier you wrote:

OK, I've read the Atari vs Commodore thread and I'll post just one question. Give me the best A8 Demo ever made to save your lovely Atari from the Edge of Disgrace ...

Software by itself does not make a machine better than another. Some people can write a good algorithm that (if not ported to another platform) can make that machine look good even in front of a superior machine. Thus, you see some talk there about sqrt or other algorithms which seem unrelated to the subject but still helpful to both sides. You probably know already that a Quicksort running on an Atari will eventually beat a 3Ghz PC running a O(n*n) algorithm if the list to be sorted is long.

Boring :roll: