IGNORED

Question about creating ST disks on Windows XP

ndary

i have few disks images in .ST format (that are 82 tracks / 10 sectors) that i would like to copy to real 3.5" disks..

1. What tool can i use to do this on Windows XP?

2. Do i need to buy real 720k disks or can i use 1.44m disks?

3. Can i use my PC 1.44m disk standard disk drive? or do i need to set my PC bios to work at 720k mode or get a real 720k drive?

any help one did this in the past?

Thanks

Nd

i have few disks images in .ST format (that are 82 tracks / 10 sectors) that i would like to copy to real 3.5" disks..

3. Can i use my PC 1.44m disk standard disk drive? or do i need to set my PC bios to work at 720k mode or get a real 720k drive?

Thanks

Nd

Hi Nir!

In the ST scene now? Cool

Use this:

http://members.tripod.com/~piters/atari/floimgd.html

I spent some time experimenting with this program this morning and I keep getting errors when writing the disk images on a 1.44MB PC drive. It doesn't matter whether I use 720K or 1.44MB disks. If I choose to format the disk during the write process, the ST thinks it's unformatted. The disks which experienced write errors without formatting will read on the ST but with numerous errors resulting in corrupted files. I assume it's all down to having just the write floppy drive in the PC. I'm glad I ordered a Satandisk. :)

I spent some time experimenting with this program this morning and I keep getting errors when writing the disk images on a 1.44MB PC drive. It doesn't matter whether I use 720K or 1.44MB disks. If I choose to format the disk during the write process, the ST thinks it's unformatted. The disks which experienced write errors without formatting will read on the ST but with numerous errors resulting in corrupted files. I assume it's all down to having just the write floppy drive in the PC. I'm glad I ordered a Satandisk. :)

This sounds very much what I experienced when I first used this program. The reason is that the sequence in which you click on the icons is very important for creating working ST disks:

- first click on the disk drive icon

- then choose an ST or MSA file

- then check the format checkbox

- then write the image to disk.

Thorsten

Here what i found so far when using the "Floppy Image program"

1. if you start the program when there is no Floppy in the drive you get an error message 'boot sector read error'

2. when using 1.44 floppies you need to cover the 2nd hole, and the writing process is faster

What i start the program i always get a message "Boot Sector read error"... does anyone knows why this happens?

It happens usually with floppies formatted on ST with Fastcopy Pro. Not possible to read on PC - not even in DOS with MAKEDISK.

Solution: copy such floppy on some Atari to other one, but don't use Fastcopy Pro. Then will be able to access it on PC.

Nir,

Have a look at this page. There is floppy patch that may help. I've had good success with the software.

http://ppera.07x.net/atari/floimgd.php

Fuji-Man

Thanks

Nd

• 2 weeks later...