IGNORED

Joystick with Pong

Joystick Pong  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should i use the joystick controllers now and add support for the paddle controllers or remove the joystick controllers altogether and just use the paddle controllers?

• Joystick Controllers Now, Paddle Controllers Later
    • Paddle Controllers Now, Joystick Controllers Later
    • No Joystick Controllers, just Paddle Controllers

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I was thinking of using joysticks with my remake of pong, but have a bad feel about doing so. I have tried to incorporate the paddle controllers several times with no success. Do you think i should use joystick controllers for now and then possible try to add support for the paddle controllers later or should i just stick with the paddle controllers and remove joystick support altogether?

Sincerely,

6502Pong

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking of using joysticks with my remake of pong, but have a bad feel about doing so. I have tried to incorporate the paddle controllers several times with no success. Do you think i should use joystick controllers for now and then possible try to add support for the paddle controllers later or should i just stick with the paddle controllers and remove joystick support altogether?

Sincerely,

6502Pong

Three words:

PONG. REQUIRES. PADDLES.

Wish "Atari"(Infogrames) would learn that. Don't be dumb like them.

here is my homebrew desktop PONG unit the unit is made from a normal atari Pong unit the last picture is what it looked like before I modded it although the PONG unit is intact the one inside the homebrew arcade unit is actually a differnt one but was the same exact model!!! I never made a coin door so i have to unscrew drywall screws to get to the $ I dont play very mutch since all my freinds played it ONCE and then said lame but at 1st they wanted to play I had to fork out the 25¢ but didnt mind I was thinking i could sell it but then thought it would make a better peice of furnature than a sellable device besides noone plays pong anymore at least not in the bar ..

But I bet if i could have made one of those a long time ago it would have made some real $.

the paddles I used came from a local thrift store They used to have a whole box I said hmm I always wanted to make my own PONG unit so i did... the box of paddles has sold out ... I luckally got two before they were gone...

the good news is even though i didnt know the compaq power supply was sideways till now is that now i know it is mabie some day i will mount the power supply but since it never moves I dont worry about it to mutch I do however still like the orange screen I was going to put space invaders in it but it wont fit and I didnt have the \keychain when i made the project.. the real reason did it was to use the 25¢ unit.... :twisted: I got the 2nd pong unit from the same good will in hopkins MN both were less than $10 I think one was only $2.00 how could I pass that up!!!..

post-13028-1239720123_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1239720144_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1239720151_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1239720293_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1239720779_thumb.jpg

I have tried to incorporate the paddle controllers several times with no success.

A working single-line kernel was posted in the game's thread :? None of the variable/label names were altered, so it can be dropped right into your source code. Is there anything in that code which you are not too clear on? I was never any good at commenting code...usually just enough to remind myself of what it's doing ;)

There was only a few issues to be ironed out (i.e. no screen jump when resetting, adding scoring, and providing multiple ball angles). The problems you faced were primarily due to using too much time, this is solved by using the stack pointer to enable/disable sprites instead of immediate loads/stores (which was done there)...or altering the kernel to use double-line resolution so that calculations don't get in the way (figure out everything on 1 scanline, then display them on the next). IMO the latter solution isn't really needed, since optimizing the code allows 3 non-bitmapped sprites to exist on any scanline with room to spare.

I have tried to incorporate the paddle controllers several times with no success.

A working single-line kernel was posted in the game's thread :? None of the variable/label names were altered, so it can be dropped right into your source code. Is there anything in that code which you are not too clear on? I was never any good at commenting code...usually just enough to remind myself of what it's doing ;)

There was only a few issues to be ironed out (i.e. no screen jump when resetting, adding scoring, and providing multiple ball angles). The problems you faced were primarily due to using too much time, this is solved by using the stack pointer to enable/disable sprites instead of immediate loads/stores (which was done there)...or altering the kernel to use double-line resolution so that calculations don't get in the way (figure out everything on 1 scanline, then display them on the next). IMO the latter solution isn't really needed, since optimizing the code allows 3 non-bitmapped sprites to exist on any scanline with room to spare.

Two different games Nukey ;) Pong 256 Bytes is mine, 6502 Pong is his.

Oops :lol:

Anyway, the same questions are addressed. The stack pointer and bit opcode tricks have been used often enough that nobody can claim ownership of the methods...and the code is generic enough to be quickly modified to work there too. With very few changes, it would replace everything from ScanLoop to OverScanWait. No need to use player sprites, no need to use costly DEC's. Everything is drawn/not drawn based on the zero flag's status.

• 3 weeks later...

wow please fill me in on what 6502 pong is would a stella daptor work or is it a atari game?

Since there are only 228 paddle positions ok since i read the 1st post I think you would have to write 2 games or make 2 differnt carts or make a cart w game varation w the select switch I know this means more programming to get level selection 2 or 1 not being levels you master in game but game variations 1 or 2 I dont know and i hope you didnt use the select switch to make varaitions in game cause you would need a varation for paddle and joystick along as weather 2 players or single player automatic game. i think i will get out the De rae atari and the internal atari info binders and read up and type in checkers for assembler editor cart but use computer emulation so i can do it on laptop and save to harddrive witch i could load into atari using the ape thing.

once i either type it in or read up on it I will understand c and atari 6502 and assembly language more..

then i could be more of input.

but here would be a atari 800 example

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issu...ITH_PADDLES.php

this would give hint

if hit left boarder say left is up and right is down cause paddle in hand goes left right I forgot youre making pong.

wow using a joystick would be harder than paddle..

fror writing pong cause w paddle you could make item match paddle value a joystick you would have to use boarder and have to emulate a paddle value anyway do you have a listing of game so far highliting the joystick routine so i could look at it im very interested in how a raw atari game looks on the atari in batribasic atari c++ before it goes atari bin...

Edited by awace