IGNORED

Supercharger original prototype hardware?

Seymour

A long long time ago a friend of mine gave me a box of Arcadia Supercharger items that were found I think in a vacated office here in Dallas. Just recently I was going through things for a move (argh!) and came across the box once again. In addition to a number of audio tape games there are three Supercharger cartridges that appear to be original prototypes. The cartridges are in flat enlongated molded cases and have a wire with a phono plug coming out of the back. There is a printed label that reads "Supercharger by Arcadia", "Company Confidental" (sp), "Prototype".

I did a little searching on AtariAge and on the Web and can find no mention of Supercharger prototype hardware. Does anyone know if there are more of these hardware prototypes out there? I attached a photo to this post.

post-23052-1238703031_thumb.jpg

I have attached a couple more photos.

One of the carts just came apart so I took a picture. You may not be able to tell but the interior plastic parts are machined rather than molded.

On the tapes, the labels are all white and are like the ones shown. There are 2 or 3 each of the usual titles so maybe this was three sets of cartridge plus tapes. Notice in the upper right corner of the label for the Phaser Patrol tape the word "Complete" is written by hand.

I've got to hit the road right now but I'll check back later. Thanks for the replies.

post-23052-1238705731_thumb.jpg

post-23052-1238705754_thumb.jpg

On the tapes, the labels are all white and are like the ones shown. There are 2 or 3 each of the usual titles so maybe this was three sets of cartridge plus tapes. Notice in the upper right corner of the label for the Phaser Patrol tape the word "Complete" is written by hand.

Those are prototypes. Labyrinth is the WIP name for Escape from the Mind Master and may be different than the version that was dumped a few years back. Please let someone have a look at those tapes!

Tempest

Those are prototypes. Labyrinth is the WIP name for Escape from the Mind Master and may be different than the version that was dumped a few years back.

I feel that is still a bit of a mystery; Dennis Caswell wrote Escape From The Mind Master and had no recollection of it ever being called Labyrinth at any point when I spoke to him. Maybe the company were originally touting it with that name without him knowing? Seeing this tape certainly makes for interesting analysis...

Those are prototypes. Labyrinth is the WIP name for Escape from the Mind Master and may be different than the version that was dumped a few years back.

I feel that is still a bit of a mystery; Dennis Caswell wrote Escape From The Mind Master and had no recollection of it ever being called Labyrinth at any point when I spoke to him. Maybe the company were originally touting it with that name without him knowing? Seeing this tape certainly makes for interesting analysis...

It could have just been the name they slapped on it for to keep it secret. Sort of how Gremlins was called Gargoyle at one point. When I talked to Scott Smith (2600 Gremlins programmer) he had no recolection of it being called Gargoyle since it was the higher ups that changed the name on him.

Tempest

Yikes! Cover up that eeprom window before you accidentally erase its contents :-)

Yea, it kills me when people take a picture of a uncovered EEPROM with their camera's flash on. The very act of taking the picture could erase it. I mean, I know in theory it probably shouldn't, but with old one-of-a-kind pieces of hardware you hate to take any chances....

Edited by else

PM SENT!!! :lust: :lust: :lust:

Ru Ro :D

I sent a PM the minute the guy posted the original post, pointless, he doesn't respond. :roll:

So did I. Hope he responds, I have been wanting some protos for a long time, but Wonder always bids higher than me :| :D

Have you played Vulture Attack today???

(runs and hides)

;)

Yikes! Cover up that eeprom window before you accidentally erase its contents :-)

Yea, it kills me when people take a picture of a uncovered EEPROM with their camera's flash on. The very act of taking the picture could erase it. I mean, I know in theory it probably shouldn't, but with old one-of-a-kind pieces of hardware you hate to take any chances....

It's not a bad idea to cover it up, but you need a substantial amount of UV light of a particular wavelength to erase it.

It's not a bad idea to cover it up, but you need a substantial amount of UV light of a particular wavelength to erase it.

You'd grow old before erasing an EPROM with a camera flash. LOL Sunlight for a loooong period of time would do it.

For those awaiting reply to numerous PMs received: I haven't gone anywhere just really busy erasing EPROMs with my flash camera.

For now I am trying to find out how to get the EPROMs and tapes archived in case these are different than production versions. I have contacted tempest@atariprotos.com for suggestions and am awaiting reply.

Some items could be available for sale at a later date.

Thanks

For those awaiting reply to numerous PMs received: I haven't gone anywhere just really busy erasing EPROMs with my flash camera.

For now I am trying to find out how to get the EPROMs and tapes archived in case these are different than production versions. I have contacted tempest@atariprotos.com for suggestions and am awaiting reply.

Some items could be available for sale at a later date.

Thanks

Thank you very much for the update! I am very glad to know that you are interested in archiving them :thumbsup: Please let us know when you decide to sell them (if that is in fact what you want to do)!