IGNORED

Buying a PSP again

Just my opinion, but if it were me I'd wait on a PSP until after E3.

There are so many rumors going around right now about Sony releasing a PSP2.... one that doesn't use UMD's and/or one that has two thumb sticks instead of one and/or even more new speculated features...... that it might well be worth waiting to see what Sony has in store for 2009.

Mendon

I'm going to be buying a PSP soon. What model would be best to look for?

I have a hacked psp slim and absolutley love it. I had fat psp (unhacked) before that and never played it. To me an unhacked psp is pretty useless when compared to a hacked one. I'd get a fat one or a slim that can be hacked, then put custom firmware on it. Steer clear of the new ones, as they can't be hacked (yet).

I'm going to be buying a PSP soon. What model would be best to look for?

I have a hacked psp slim and absolutley love it. I had fat psp (unhacked) before that and never played it. To me an unhacked psp is pretty useless when compared to a hacked one. I'd get a fat one or a slim that can be hacked, then put custom firmware on it. Steer clear of the new ones, as they can't be hacked (yet).

Tha't what i was wondering. Maybe i should get the fat one and get it set up the way i want it.

I read the other day on pspupdates.com that the 3000's are now hackable, but I don't know the details. In my opinion, the second model (2000, I guess) are the best units. They are lighter and have better d-pads and buttons than the fat models, and they can output component video to your TV (and they are hackable). Apparently the 3000's have inferior screens so I would steer clear of those.

Out of curiosity, what's making you want a PSP again? I've had one since launch but I don't play it much, but I would love a reason to play it more. (Hey Sony, I'm still waiting for that portable version of Gran Turismo that you were yacking about WAY back when the system launched...)

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

I read the other day on pspupdates.com that the 3000's are now hackable, but I don't know the details. In my opinion, the second model (2000, I guess) are the best units. They are lighter and have better d-pads and buttons than the fat models, and they can output component video to your TV (and they are hackable). Apparently the 3000's have inferior screens so I would steer clear of those.

Out of curiosity, what's making you want a PSP again? I've had one since launch but I don't play it much, but I would love a reason to play it more. (Hey Sony, I'm still waiting for that portable version of Gran Turismo that you were yacking about WAY back when the system launched...)

Chris

Well, my wife wants one for certain games and movies when she has nothing to do and i want one for some of the games and possible emulation of older games for the road.

Chris

Well, my wife wants one for certain games and movies when she has nothing to do and i want one for some of the games and possible emulation of older games for the road.

Emulation on the PSP. Good stuff. The best actually.

Not to mention ripping PS1 games etc

Awesome stuff but I would go with the advice and stay away from the newer models.

Chris

Emulation on the PSP. Good stuff. The best actually.

Not to mention ripping PS1 games etc

Awesome stuff but I would go with the advice and stay away from the newer models.

Yeah i don't want a newer one.

I love my PSP2000 Vader white. It looks cool, it comes with a fantastic game, and it's slimmer and more comfortable (and brighter) than the first PSP. I'd stay away from the 3000 series as the screen has the scan lines. That and the newer UMDless psp is supposedly coming out soon anyway, so what's the point in paying full price for hardware that will be being replaced soon. You should be able to find a Vader for a good price im sure.

I love my PSP2000 Vader white. It looks cool, it comes with a fantastic game, and it's slimmer and more comfortable (and brighter) than the first PSP. I'd stay away from the 3000 series as the screen has the scan lines. That and the newer UMDless psp is supposedly coming out soon anyway, so what's the point in paying full price for hardware that will be being replaced soon. You should be able to find a Vader for a good price im sure.

Ah you mean this one? That is nice. Maybe i'll go for this.

post-17612-1239567286_thumb.jpg

Ah you mean this one? That is nice. Maybe i'll go for this.

Do those white ones stay clean? Just looks like they would get dirty quick.

I'm thinking about getting a second PSP (I have a black fat) and was thinking about a Vader 2000 but don't want one thats going to look all grimy after awhile.

-T

I have a hacked phat and a hacked Slim and I have few complaints about either one. If you're planning to do emulation, get a phat and hack it. If you're comfortable with the hacking software, I also recommend you re partition the flash memory so that you can keep all the bells and whistles even after you put the 1.50 kernel on it. Slim PSP's are better, IMO, for those who are going to use it for it's native games and as a portable media player, or for those who are going to do a lot of web browsing with it.

Each has its merits:

Phat:

Pros:

Writes to batteries

No chance of getting a unit that can't be hacked

Used batteries and standalone charger (PSP-191) are still very common

Cons:

They don't make the batteries anymore

Extremely difficult to update firmware if you're trying to keep all the features/languages enabled

Problems with the analog stick

Slim:

Pros:

Second 32 MB RAM bank used for UMD caching, background apps, and the browser

TV out

Shorter load times, even when using ISO files

Cons:

Difficult to support 1.50 homebrew

Most Slims can't write to the battery

Difficult to find used batteries and the standalone charger (PSP-330)

And yes the PSP-3000 can be hacked but it's not something the average end user can do--yet. If you get a 3000, take a hard look at the GripShift exploit.

The 3000 has addressed a reliability issue with the the analog stick. If it proves hackable, it may be the model to get. The existence of a hackable motherboard has been confirmed. On the latest board, Sony removed some of the anti hack features but they left the CPU unhackable, IIRC. Still, a CPU swap is supposed to render the unit fully hackable. Get you iron warmed up... (yeah, right.)

Oh, yeah, the silver Slim unit I have stays pretty clean. A soft cloth or even a clean t shirt works wonders on removing smudges from the casing and screen. The only thing is that the finish is beginning to chip off in places, revelaing the off white plastic underneath.

Edited by shadow460

Yep, the vader one you showed in the pic is mine :D. I love that system, and no it doesn't get dirty. The great thing about the PSP vs the DS Lite is that it's all glossy. That means, no matte plastic that you have to clean where your hands and fingers are. Trust me, it makes a big difference.

(Hey Sony, I'm still waiting for that portable version of Gran Turismo that you were yacking about WAY back when the system launched...)

Chris

That's why i went to the DS...

Alot of the games i wanted on the PSP got cancelled... I was really looking forward to

the Elder Scrolls game.... If that came out... I might have gotten one.

Gran Turismo

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Civilization Revolution

and one other I can't remember right now. But, yes there was 4 games cancelled that i was loooking forward to.

-rick

maybe i'll still pick up a used one someday.

(Hey Sony, I'm still waiting for that portable version of Gran Turismo that you were yacking about WAY back when the system launched...)

Chris

That's why i went to the DS...

Alot of the games i wanted on the PSP got cancelled... I was really looking forward to

the Elder Scrolls game.... If that came out... I might have gotten one.

Gran Turismo

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Civilization Revolution

and one other I can't remember right now. But, yes there was 4 games cancelled that i was loooking forward to.

-rick

maybe i'll still pick up a used one someday.

I agree. I have both the DS and the PSP, and each has it's strengths, but I have a much larger DS game collection. I forgot about the Oblivion game that got cancelled. I was looking forward to that one too.

Chris

I suppose you could always rip the PS1 Gran Turismo and Civilization games to the PSP. I do wish Civilization Revolution was released for the PSP though, I enjoy that game on my 360.

Amazon still has new PSP 2000s in stock and they are a few dollars cheaper than the 3000 model.

I plan on a DS as well. Which is better? The Phat or Slim. I like the Phat myself.

Thumbs down on the Phat DS. Sorry, but even if you like the styling better (why would you.. it's cheap and plasticy) the screens are muuuuch darker. If you have the choice get the lite or dsi.

The DS Lite (and I assume the new DSi) screen is much much better than the old original DS screen. The DSLite hinge system seems better than the old DS as well. Two of my 3 original DS have broken hinges.

I remember some Lite owners had cracking hinges, but it was purely cosmetic and had nothing to do with it working or not. I hadn't heard of hinges breaking on the phat model, how odd.

Either way, with the DSi you get bigger screens that are at least as bright as the Lite version, and I'm sure by now the hinge issues are all ironed out. I can't imagine them still having problems on the 3rd go around.

The original DS hinge had a wide and a thin section. On 2 of my original DS's (bought close to launch day), the thin part of the hinge cracked and broke. The units both still work, but the right side of the upper half is not very stable. Both of them broke within a couple weeks of each other late last year, so I assume they were just worn out.

The original DS hinge had a wide and a thin section. On 2 of my original DS's (bought close to launch day), the thin part of the hinge cracked and broke. The units both still work, but the right side of the upper half is not very stable. Both of them broke within a couple weeks of each other late last year, so I assume they were just worn out.

Hm, I still have my launch day DS phat here, and luckily it's not gone that far. The good thing is is that it's been donated to the "I want to play Brainage once every 2 months" fund. I can't imagine her breaking the DS over a quick game of color matching. :P