IGNORED

New Dreamcasts being sold at Thinkgeek.com

If anyone wants a brand new Dreamcast I can get you one for $84.99. I also have a brand new one for sale thread (http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140056) for $50.00. The only problem with it is there is no manual and it comes with a brand new black Sega Sports controller rather than the regular white one. All the components are brand new though.

P.S. You can still get these wholesale from some distributors. That's where we get ours. However, wholesale they are well over $50. So don't expect seeing many brand new ones from a store for under $90.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

It's one of my fav systems and I did get spoiled by paying less then 100$ but I woudl have paid it if the price hadn't gone down the day before I had saved up to buy one.

More importantly they have THESE again!!! I have wanted them since forever! I have to save up before they are gone again. Oh man and they have THESE too. I know, I'm a dork... a nature loving, stuffed animal collecting, diaper changing, classic video game playing, hopefully cart making, bird watching dork.

LOL, I used to love THIS STUFF when I was a kid. :)

I so could spend a small fortune there. :D

Yeah, for being NIB, it's not an unreasonable price.

But if NIB doesn't mean anything to you, you can get them used without box/manual/extras for a lot cheaper.

And off-topic...

So why is it when a mod edit's their post, it doesn't show a tag line saying the post has been edited and when like it does for everyone else? :ponder:

Edited by Artlover

Yeah, for being NIB, it's not an unreasonable price.

It's definitely a reasonable price for a mass market provider of such a product.

Point is, you can pick up a perfectly working DC on eBay for very cheap. Probably $20 shipped...

Because for that $20 shipped you're just as likely to get a completely broken or GDROM/fan screaming/grinding damaged nightmare as a 'perfectly good unit'

Luckily I have like 3 Dreamcast consoles and one of them (The one I bought new) has all the original packing materials

(I never throw anything out)

Sweet.

I've got 4 of them, one of them was bought new, but it looks like I threw the box away. :x Yet I still have my Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube boxes.

I'm sad now. :_(

It's kind of the same as the dilemma of whether or not the $125 SIB Atari Jr.'s are worth it...Some will pay that for one that hasn't been used....most of us wouldn't...

As for DC, I've owned many, and have found it to be a crapshoot, when buying used. A lot of the time, some games work perfectly, while others won't (in the SAME deck), or the deck has to be upside-down, etc. I think if I were just getting into DC, or if I didn't have some level of technical expertise, $100 wouldn't be bad at all...

If it's not worth it to thinkgeek's customer base, they'll certainly lower the price....

Yeah, obviously that wasn't too much, since they're already gone!

One of my friends actually works at ThinkGeek. :)

You might want to mention to your friend the fact that on ThinkGeek's site, the DC is currently showing as available, with a live and clickable "Buy Now!" button, and a price of $14.99!

Now, I know this is actually for the extra controller, and not the console, but ThinkGeek has totally failed to make this clear, and given the $20 price which many folks here have mentioned paying for their DC, it's not unreasonable to think that some ThinkGeek customer might place an order, expecting a DC for fifteen bucks, and be mightily disappointed when just the controller shows up.

Seriously, what is ThinkGeek thinking? Instead of listing the DC and the extra controller as separate items with separate prices, they've just got one listing, with a price of "$14.99 to $99."

Click "Buy Now!" and the item, "Original Sega Dreamcast Console" goes in your shopping cart with the $14.99 price. Under "choice," it says "extra controller," but this is not at all clear. Somebody might think it means they're getting an extra controller with their DC.

In ThinkGeek's defense, there is some fine print displayed before you click "Buy Now!" that says,

"Availability: [ info ]

In stock, except for

the following item(s):

Dreamcast Console (Est. 5/14)"

But that's easily overlooked, and a person might still think they were successfully placing a pre-order for a DC at the $14.99 price.

I wonder how many unhappy customers and charge-backs will result from this?

that is a fair price. I bought one about a year ago with 100 or so burned games and cd wallets and vmus and controllers brand new in box for 150 shipped. They won't be around forever especially considering how often the gdrom drives fail after 7 or so years of play...