IGNORED

Motocross Racer and Tournament Tennis: 1800 carts!

Pixelboy

Wow, now this is surely an interesting auction for ColecoVision homebrewers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290325307637

One question comes to my mind, however: Can these Activision casings house the standard PCBs like those from AtariAge/Pixel's Past? If not, then whoever buys this lot to recycle the casings for homebrew ColecoVision projects would have to design some custom PCBs...

Wow, now this is surely an interesting auction for ColecoVision homebrewers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290325307637

One question comes to my mind, however: Can these Activision casings house the standard PCBs like those from AtariAge/Pixel's Past? If not, then whoever buys this lot to recycle the casings for homebrew ColecoVision projects would have to design some custom PCBs...

Nice! ... I would like to buy this lot, but not right now.. well... :roll:

Would be nice to use them for a port of Pitfall Arcade!

I'm pretty sure the Pixelpast PCBs fit in those, I've already try some in Atarisoft cases and they were fitting well...

Do they're universal? ... I dunno

The best way will be using your own Motocross Racer cart and open it... and put a Pxelpast board in :)

Y'know, I'd be really tempted to acquire those carts. :) The coolest thing to do with them would be to release some "lost" Activision games on the CV, namely:

- Chopper Command (a good candidate for a smooth-scrolling engine)

- Enduro (with Coleco steering wheel support? Why not!)

- Ghostbusters (the MSX version could be ported)

- Pitfall 2 Arcade (a port of the SG-1000 game, of course)

- Robot Tank (although to be fair, the Atari 2600 version is excellent and would be hard to improve upon)

- Space Shuttle - A Journey Into Space (a port of the MSX version would do perfectly)

- StarMaster (a more "modern" cockpit computer display would be nice...)

Another idea would be to make two-in-one carts with some Atari 2600 Activision classics. For example:

- Kaboom / Crackpots

- Freeway / Dragster

- Frostbite / SeaQuest

- Pressure Cooker / Stampede

- Plaque Attack / Megamania

- Boxing / Ice Hockey

- Grand Prix / Sky Jinks

Yet another idea would be to create new sequels of some well-known Activision franchises. For example:

- Beamrider II

- H.E.R.O. II

- Pitfall III - Close Encounters of the Prehistoric Kind

- River Raid III

The problem is, who would be willing to sit down and program/port all these games? No one I know, so that's why I'll probably refrain from bidding on that auction. I already have more than enough casings in reserve for any of my personal needs. :)

Okay, I unscrewed the Motocross Racer cartridge that I have here, and I took some pictures (attached below) to demonstrate my findings.

As you can see, the casing is designed to receive a very small PCB, similar to PkK's PCBs. Because of the piece of plastic in the middle - which holds the PCB in place vertically - it obviously cannot receive the PixelPast PCB.

I find it interesting that the Motocross Racer PCB has only one chip that does everything. The only other components present are on the underside (three resistors, or whatever, I'm no expert). It seems cheap and crudely soldered.

So to use these casings, a homebrewer would have to use a PCB of the exact same shape, with the same general components. If I could, I would take apart one of PkK's carts and compare the PCBs in terms of shape.

Perhaps PkK himself could comment... :)

post-7743-1245466011_thumb.jpg

post-7743-1245466027_thumb.jpg

Okay, I unscrewed the Motocross Racer cartridge that I have here, and I took some pictures (attached below) to demonstrate my findings.

As you can see, the casing is designed to receive a very small PCB, similar to PkK's PCBs. Because of the piece of plastic in the middle - which holds the PCB in place vertically - it obviously cannot receive the PixelPast PCB.

[...]

So to use these casings, a homebrewer would have to use a PCB of the exact same shape, with the same general components. If I could, I would take apart one of PkK's carts and compare the PCBs in terms of shape.

Perhaps PkK himself could comment... :)

I have attached the fabrication drawing of my L1.1 board. You can view them using a Gerber viewer such as the free gerbv.

Philipp

L1.1.tar.gz

Postage to the UK :-o :-o :-o

I can't understand how US sellers on ebay always manage to only offer shipping options at insane prices. The shipping price on that auction is about half of what it would take to ship a 40' container over the atlantic ocean.

Philipp

- Space Shuttle - A Journey Into Space (a port of the MSX version would do perfectly)

A ColecoVision version of Space Shuttle was programmed (and probably completed) but not released. Someone just needs to find it. ;)

That's certainly news to me. Are we talking unreleased commercial game, or homebrew? :)

A ColecoVision version of Space Shuttle was programmed (and probably completed) but not released. Someone just needs to find it. ;)

That's certainly news to me. Are we talking unreleased commercial game, or homebrew? :)

Unreleased game. No prototype has been found, but it's out there somewhere.

Wow, if that prototype was found and turned ou to be a finished game, I'd be all over it. :D

Wow, if that prototype was found and turned ou to be a finished game, I'd be all over it. :D

It's highly likely the MSX version was a conversion of the ColecoVision port.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to bump an old thread, but this is also news to me. Interesting...

Tempest

Postage to the UK :-o :-o :-o

I can't understand how US sellers on ebay always manage to only offer shipping options at insane prices. The shipping price on that auction is about half of what it would take to ship a 40' container over the atlantic ocean.

Philipp

Because he's not protected unless he uses THAT shipping method. Do you really think he's going to ship something without tracking (Express is the only thing with protection for INTL with paypal) so he c hope you don't pull a fast one? LOL. Yeah.