IGNORED

Pre-Order: Custom Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr. CV Controllers

doubledown

About 10 months ago I offered Custom ColecoVision controllers themed after Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man. Here’s a picture of the end product(s):

post-4993-1247279871_thumb.jpg

Now I’ve decided to offer Custom ColecoVision controllers themed after Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Junior. I don’t have any finished product pictures yet because the dye I will be using has to be custom mixed and packaged, and I don’t have it yet. But the controllers will obviously be very similar to the above pictured “Pac-Trollers”, only themed after Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Junior.

This project is about trying to capture the cosmetic aspects of the Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Junior arcade cabinets, along with creating a controller that is truly functional and comfortable. That being said, here are the quick details of the customized controllers.

Donkey Kong Controller

Controller Housing – Dyed DK Blue - like the original arcade cabinet

Buttons – Dyed Orange - like the original arcade cabinet's jump button

Joystick Knob and Shaft Extension - Black - like the original arcade cabinet's joystick

Keypad Underlay – Red w/White - like the original arcade cabinet's CPO (red background with white numbers/symbols, and possibly a picture of Donkey Kong for the * button)

Donkey Kong arcade cabinet marquee label with a white outline on the bottom face edge

Original 12 inch coiled cord replaced with a 6 foot straight wired cord

Donkey Kong Jr. Controller

Casing Housing – Dyed DK Jr. Orange - like the original arcade cabinet

Buttons – Dyed Blue - like the original arcade cabinet's Player 1/Player 2 buttons

Joystick Knob and Shaft Extension - Black - like the original arcade cabinet's joystick

Keypad Underlay - Blue w/White - like the original arcade cabinet's CPO (blue background with white numbers/symbols, and possibly a picture of Donkey Kong Junior for the * button)

Donkey Kong Junior arcade cabinet marquee label with a white outline on the bottom face edge

Original 12 inch coiled cord replaced with a 6 foot straight wired cord

Besides all of the cosmetic and functional modifications performed, these controllers will also be completely refurbished and tested to be in 100% perfect working condition. Also a special manual/booklet that I am creating, and will be hand-signing, will be shipped with each set that is ordered.

Now, because the custom dye I will be using for these controllers costs considerably more than the off-the-shelf dye I was able to use for the “Pac-Trollers”, these will cost a little more than those did. These will be $145.00 plus $9.00 for USPS Priority Mail shipping to anywhere in the U.S., for a set of both controllers and the manual. Anybody residing outside the U.S. can also purchase a set of these, but the shipping costs will vary.

I am offering a core credit for those who wish to supply their own donor controllers and/or cables. The donor ColecoVision hand controllers can be either the black or beige variety. I would prefer the black versions so that I don’t have to dye the beige joystick shafts black (which can potentially wear off slightly over time where it contacts the housing). Sega controller cables are also required for the six foot straight wired cord. Acceptable cords come from official Sega 3-button control pads (MK-1650), 6-button control pads (model # unknown), and 6 button arcade sticks (MK-1627). The plug end of the cable will have the SEGA logo on them and have a small rounded hump on the top and the bottom. These are the only cables I will use as they are very durable with their fiber reinforcement, I have worked with them extensively, and I already know the color-coded pinout. Core credits will be as follows:

Black ColecoVision or Beige ADAM hand controllers - $15.00 credit each. Again can be either the black or beige versions.

Sega cable - $5.00 credit each. Again they must be the official SEGA cables as described above. If supplying the cable(s), all you will need to send to me is the cable. You can simply use a pair of side-cuts or sharp scissors to cut the cable at it's point of external attachment to the controller.

Maximum credit is based on quantity purchased. If you are purchasing 1 set I'll accept 2 controllers and 2 cables for a maximum credit of $40.00. Credit will only be offered if the supplied items are not damaged. A purchaser supplied controller need not necessarily work 100%, it may be able to be refurbished and be fine. (There are possible exceptions to the core credit maximum. If someone tells me that they have a bunch of Sega cables, and nobody else is providing their own, then I will offer credit for each one provided versus me have to source them out myself. This will be determined after the pre-order time when the PMs are sent out.)

I will accept pre-orders from now until Sunday 07/12/09 @ 11:59 PM EST. After this time I will send out PMs to all interested parties to finalize individual details, such as name, address, donor hardware available, and the likes. These controllers will likely be finished and ready for shipment around the end of July / early August, and final payments will not be due until then. But due to the up front costs I’ll have to layout for the dye and all of the hardware, I will require a $40.00 down-payment from each buyer.

This is the only time these controllers will be offered. Like the Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man controllers these will be limited to this sale here. Don’t try to look up this thread a year from now and ask for a set, as they will be all gone. So if you are interested in a set of these controllers, respond to this thread and you will be added to the list. Once the pre-order time is over all of the details will be finalized. Thus far the interested parties list is:

tjb

the.golden.ax

chuys450

dragos

Marc Oberhauser

ianoid

purenergy

coleconut

Disco Scottie

Ikrananka

FibroFreak78

dano

r_type2600

yurkie

ClassicTom

colecomaniac

Edited by doubledown

Those Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man controllers are beautiful, I hadn't seen them before. :)

..Al

You don't frequent this website very often?!? ;)

I don't catch everything, sadly. :)

..Al

Well my whole world has just been shattered! :D In all seriousness though, thanks for the compliment.

Always gotta show that off Ax! ;) Maybe if there is enough dye left over a Donkey Kong and/or Donkey Kong Junior Mini ColecoVision may just pop up.

Just a couple little things here. Once the pre-order time is up (07/12/09 11:59 PM), I will send out a PM to all those interested in a set of these. The PM will contain any/all details related to the purchase of the controllers, including the down-payment and everything else. I'm trying to keep everyone in the same stage so no payments untill you receive the PM. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to accept your payment, but just for me to keep everything straight, I want to do this with some assemblence of order. :)

Secondly, I talked with my dye guy yesterday, and he told me that it can be approximately 2 weeks to mix/package the dye, and then another week for shipping. This means that I'll receive the dye around the middle of August, and should have the controllers ready to ship during the last couple weeks of August. So this will give all those interested a little more time to save up.

The "pre-order" time is over. I have sent out a PM to all those who have expressed an interest in purchasing a set of these custom controllers. Please resond to the PM with the required information as soon as you can.

Anybody who may have "extra" donor hardware, please don't send it out untill I ask you for it. I will wait untill I hear from each person interested in purchasing a set to determine how many extras of each I may need. If you are only capable of supplying 1 or 2 controllers, and/or 1 or 2 cables, those can be sent immediately.

Edited by doubledown