IGNORED

Atari 1200XL vs. Dell Inspiron 1525

GroovyBee

So...if i hook up lots of a1200's, network like will that give me the same grunt as a dell inspiron (perhaps bob1200 has got a few 00' or 000' to spare)

There again, as it was said all those years ago (applied in a modern context) do you really need a 2gig processor, 500 gigs of hd a dvd writer and a bloatware o/s if all your going to do is surf a few websites or do a few emails or type up a few letters or play a few half decent classic games

Computing is whatever you make it, if the above spec computer rocks your boat, then buy that computer, if simple, well engineered computing like the 1200 and it's sisters and brothers rocks your boat, then buy that computer....if they both rock your boat...buy both computers

As someone else here mentioned, the 1200 is way too sexy...the inspiron might as well be margaret thatcher

Both systems have their place in computing and it's history...and both are loved or hated for similar or different reasons

Edited by carmel_andrews

So...if i hook up lots of a1200's, network like will that give me the same grunt as a dell inspiron (perhaps bob1200 has got a few 00' or 000' to spare)

There again, as it was said all those years ago (applied in a modern context) do you really need a 2gig processor, 500 gigs of hd a dvd writer and a bloatware o/s if all your going to do is surf a few websites or do a few emails or type up a few letters or play a few half decent classic games

Computing is whatever you make it, if the above spec computer rocks your boat, then buy that computer, if simple, well engineered computing like the 1200 and it's sisters and brothers rocks your boat, then buy that computer....if they both rock your boat...buy both computers

As someone else here mentioned, the 1200 is way too sexy...the inspiron might as well be margaret thatcher

Both systems have their place in computing and it's history...and both are loved or hated for similar or different reasons

Actually I like having every single episode of Star Trek Enterprise on my laptop for whenever so 1/2 a terrabyte is very handy, and certainly writing a letter at least needs a 68000 processor, I don't fancy writing things without WYSIWG in anything like word processing. I guess a workable GUI on the A8 is potentially possible given the wonderful GEOS in 2.0 Commodore 128 specific mode is actually BETTER than the crappy Mac OS on the P.O.S. original Macs ;)

I think these kind of comparisons are either a silly joke or delusional, the minimum possible 'make do' configuration for normal people would be a PowerPC based Amiga with Amiga OS4 (which is still more efficient and looks better than ubuntu/Vista/OS X) and how many viruses will work on Amiga OS4....lovely. Anything below that specification is a sacrifice and an excersize in retro computing to be honest :)

The Inspiron is ugly though, in the same way that modern cars are ugly compared to superb classics like the 1988 BMW 325Sport, it's all bland and forgettable, with that I totally agree! Even the latest $3000 Apple 17" powerbooks are bulky looking pieces of crap for people with less brains than money (Apple's usual market demographic aha)

The Inspiron is ugly though, in the same way that modern cars are ugly compared to superb classics like the 1988 BMW 325Sport, it's all bland and forgettable, with that I totally agree! Even the latest $3000 Apple 17" powerbooks are bulky looking pieces of crap for people with less brains than money (Apple's usual market demographic aha)

Glad I've only got a 15' PowerBook G4 then ;) (Oh and an iMac and the wife's MackBook Air ...)

• 3 weeks later...
Very nice...

He failed to mention that it boots about 30 times faster, doesn't need an DOS, and the OS is bulletproof. :)

Fuji-Man

He forgot a lot of things and made an unfair comparison. First row in his comparison is wrong-- a modern 2Ghz processor is NOT 1117 times faster than 1.79Mhz. Most instructions execute much slower than 2Ghz as RAM access is much slower, I/O instructions are much slower than RAM, etc. etc. compared to 1.79Mhz 6502 where all RAM, I/O, and register-based instructions execute at exactly 1.79Mhz. And how do you tell on your 2Ghz processors how many cycles each instruction is taking? Take a wild guess or realistically take the worst case execution time and there goes your 2Ghz speed down to Mhz range. Even the bandwidth is misleading for doing simple things like reading a joystick port. LDA 54016 (4 cycles) vs. doing a serial protocol on USB port or polling a game port? Don't know of any PC joysticks using that bandwidth that he mentions. All computers can be updated to have better peripherals nowadays. Higher resolution doesn't help if games only target low resolutions or NTSC bandwidth is limited. PCs had 640*200 even in 1980s but people still preferred playing games on Atari with lower resolution.

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/atari800/

Is that just blasphemous to post on this forum? ;) "Desecration of A8 prompts angry mob to attack"

I think it's pretty cool (but I wish he'd given me the non-working internals instead of tossing them).

I love the Star Raiders mouse :)

If he knew his computers, he would have kept the Atari internals and incorporated his so-called "Atari I/O server". Otherwise, it's easier, faster, and cheaper to get a $20 laptop from Ebay to serve as an Atari I/O server (bought a Thinkpad 770 w/DVD for $20 from Ebay).