IGNORED

The Watchtower (And New 2K Game: Carnival - Shooting Gallery)

Facemeat

Hey everybody, just thought I'd share my first game, now that it's finished. I first started working on an RPG of sorts (which I may return to, now that this is finished), but then decided to switch to a simpler game, one more akin to an early arcade or 2600 game. Here's a little backstory to help give the game a little context:

"You're on guard duty!", your commanding officer barks at you. Since your chopper was shot down weeks ago, your squad's been trapped in these woods. You've been able to fashion a hut and a small watchtower in case the enemy becomes aware of your whereabouts. As you climb to the top of the watchtower, you hear what sounds like a large helicopter taking off in the distance. You signal for your squadmates to start a fire. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, the fire is started. The pilot sees the smoke and hovers down towards you. As it draws near, you notice the symbol emblazoned on the helicopter. It's the enemy! You draw your rifle as a paratrooper leaps out of the massive aircraft above...

I've attached some screens, so you can see how it looks before downloading it, and there's also a video link in my signature.

post-18549-1247605789_thumb.png

post-18549-1247605959_thumb.png

post-18549-1247605987_thumb.png

In-Game Controls:

Left - Shoot Left

Right - Shoot Right

Game Reset - Reset

Start-Up & End Screen Controls:

Fire - Next Screen

Game Reset - Return to Start-Up Screen

How to win:

-Survive the entire day, from morning to night.

You lose when:

-An enemy lands

-You get hit by a missile

wt103.bas.bin

Let me know what you guys think! :)

Edited by Facemeat
  • Like 1

Nice take on the 'paratrooper game' type :)

...the randomness needs fixing though. At the moment, you can start a new game, wait for the first paratrooper to fall a little bit, then hold Left without letting up and you'll eventually win the game :)

Thanks for the tip. I took down the link and put up a new one. It should be fixed now.

EDIT: Ok, NOW it's fixed. Now the bullets don't stop when they hit a paratrooper or missile, only when you let off the joystick or when they hit the side of the screen, meaning no more problems like this.

Edited by Facemeat

Nice take on the 'paratrooper game' type :)

...the randomness needs fixing though. At the moment, you can start a new game, wait for the first paratrooper to fall a little bit, then hold Left without letting up and you'll eventually win the game :)

Thanks for the tip. I took down the link and put up a new one. It should be fixed now.

Actually, I noticed this too. I just tried the new link and the bug is still there. When you time the first trooper just right and keep holding the joystick left, the rest of the game is a soldier who falls in the same place over and over until dawn. This guy:

post-21152-1247611423_thumb.png post-21152-1247611407_thumb.png

Nice game, though. Maybe you could push it one step further and have players use the firebutton to do something. If you had an enemy that moved horizontally along the ground (jeep? tank?) you could use the fire button to toss a grenade down at it. And perhaps you could give the player the ability to shoot up as well, maybe to gun down a helicopter for bonus points.

Edited by jrok

Actually, I noticed this too. I just tried the new link and the bug is still there. When you time the first trooper just right and keep holding the joystick left, the rest of the game is a soldier who falls in the same place over and over until dawn.

Looks like this might be a job for dim rand16 = z.

Wow. Looks neat. Thanks for the screen shots.

Fun game, but it needs something. I mean besides the bug/s squashed. Just needs like one more element to it.

How about this for an idea.

Guys start off falling slower (there's wind). Every XX amount of points a new level and they come down faster. I like Random's idea of maybe letting 3 guys fall before your game is over, so you should implement that and if you make it to a new level one of those guys disappears. Sort of like Imagic's Atlantic how you get something back for clearing a level successfully.

I like that you can get hit by the bomb and it shows your thing blown up.

Maybe there's a way to incorporate a hi-res title screen.. there's a thread on bB about it. Maybe that can be used to make a nice explosion cutsceen when you die.

Great work.

Maybe a 2-Player mode where one person can control what way the guy falls. You would press fire to make the first guy fall.. while that first guy is falling you hold left or right. This determines how far away from the tower the guy falls.. longer you hold left the farther away from tower he falls. Maybe he could even control him in air to make him move left and right.

Thanks for all the kind words and helpful advice. I may just implement some of these ideas if I get the time.

Anyhow, I was working on another game tonight and remembered about a small 2K game I made one night a couple of weeks ago. So, I decided to clean it up a bit and release it. I didn't think I should start a whole new thread for it, so I'll just put it up here.

Carnival - Shooting Gallery

post-18549-1247707745_thumb.png

Controls:

Joystick - Move Crosshair

Fire - Shoot

Game Reset - Reset

Goal:

Shoot as many ducks in the time limit as possible, but don't waste too much ammo.

carnivalshootinggallery.bas.bin

Enjoy! :)

• Like 1