IGNORED

Portable Atari 2600 Project

imac4567

I started my portable Atari 2600 project and am wondering what I am doing wrong with my portable Atari. I have chopped it to a 4 x 4 square and wired every thing correctly I think but I can't seem to get it up and running. If anyone could take a look at the pic to see if I got anything wrong(for the people who have done it before) that would be great! BTW: Have put topic on ben heck forum but no response.

-Dylan

Putting Pic up in a sec

Edited by imac4567

If you are using the vader you mention in this thread, this should be of no surprise. You should have gotten it working, then cut it into a 4x4 square ;)

so mostly I am screwed with this board? or since it was just outside of the square(it was only 2 resistors broke) maybe I can revive this board.

Edited by imac4567

If you are using the vader you mention in this thread, this should be of no surprise. You should have gotten it working, then cut it into a 4x4 square ;)

so mostly I am screwed with this board?

:lol: Yep! Thats the first rule of modding. Before you cut the PCB, make sure its working. Then at each stage of the mod you can test it and hopefully get it going again (if its stopped working).

so mostly I am screwed with this board?

:lol: Yep! Thats the first rule of modding. Before you cut the PCB, make sure its working. Then at each stage of the mod you can test it and hopefully get it going again (if its stopped working).

well I had another one that I tried with (that worked) but a capacitor broke after it was 4x4ifyed so that didn't work and I tried this one and no go I guess :|. Anyway I am still going through with this project but in need of a 4 switcher, so I will keep this updated after I grab hold of one.

Edited by imac4567

Can you not take parts off the latest 4x4 to fix the last known working one?

well I could but one is a vader(broken one) and one is a reg 4-switch so IDK if that would work or not

I believe they are the same PCB (or at least very close).

ok well I will rewire everything onto the other one including the cap. and update in a few to see if it works :D

YAY!! :party:, I finally got video but it comes up like this:

post-23422-1248920105_thumb.jpg

any ideas why?

EDIT: NVM: it finally came up with video and works great. now I am going to start looking for a compatible tv to hook it to and case it in to. BTW: I will update every so often to tell everyone how its going.

-Dylan

Pics

post-23422-1248920859_thumb.jpg

post-23422-1248920882_thumb.jpg

Edited by imac4567

Awesome. Great job.

I suppose you'll need more than that 9 volt for the tv and the atari... lol

the battery thing is something that still stumps me. I can follow a guid and a how to with pictures. But I can't figure out some electronic stuff. Such a shame.

yea same here I have to always need pictures to really be able to get it :D . Anyway now im looking around for a casio ev-680 and there is only one on ebay and I hope I can get it. Will update this thread on progress! Thanks Everyone for help :cool: !

-Dylan

Awesome. Great job.

I suppose you'll need more than that 9 volt for the tv and the atari... lol

the battery thing is something that still stumps me. I can follow a guid and a how to with pictures. But I can't figure out some electronic stuff. Such a shame.

yea same here I have to always need pictures to really be able to get it :D . Anyway now im looking around for a casio ev-680 and there is only one on ebay and I hope I can get it. Will update this thread on progress! Thanks Everyone for help :cool: !

-Dylan

Found Screen and 1W Amp for Sound buying tomorrow and when they arrive I will update. :cool:

-Dylan

Congrats on getting it up and running!

I need to redo my atari in the pc, I think the 12v its always running on is making it go haywire, as the 12v is going to the pot for color, not 9v.

Now the video is kinda fuzzy, unlike what it was when I was playing it about a year or so ago.

It could also just be my capture card on my computer. I should test that tonight. ^_^

Congrats on getting it up and running!

I need to redo my atari in the pc, I think the 12v its always running on is making it go haywire, as the 12v is going to the pot for color, not 9v.

Now the video is kinda fuzzy, unlike what it was when I was playing it about a year or so ago.

It could also just be my capture card on my computer. I should test that tonight. ^_^

Well at first I was at the min. of 7.5V for the regulator but that was not making anything pop up for some reason so I switched to a 9V so instead of 5 or 6 AA I could have one battery for the thing, Anyway I am working on building the case right now as I do have all the dimensions I need from the TV, Sound Amp, and Atari board. My ViaCAD is not working right now so I using illustrator and photoshop to draw it up. I will put up some pics when I get a prototype case drawn. BTW:Hope you get the pc back up and running like It should.

-Dylan

wow, that's very nice.

maybe one day, I will try to make one...... (I need more time on my hand !!!!!)

Well i am only 13 and on summer break so I still have about a month of free time left :D :cool: oh and it does not take too long to get it up and running(maybe about a week or two then everything else is straight forward).

-Dylan

Edited by imac4567

Here is a rough sketch of the case, post-23422-1249433108_thumb.jpg Features will include: 2nd controller port, power adapter input, av-out, paddle button on side to give it that paddle feel, and others that are standard in atari 2600 systems. Please tell me what you think :)

-Dylan

Looks like the original Nintendo Gameboy in 2600 woodgrain style.

Yea that was kinda what I was going for :D , I Plan to use the original Atari 2600 plastic to give an original atri feel but also a since of portability. It will probably look better than the one in the pic as my drawing skills on the computer are weak. I will also add a psp joystick so the control board won't be so cluttered.