IGNORED

Well... Here's my portable Atari 2600

EricDeLee

I decided to stay up last night to work on this after I had it sitting in one of my unfinished projects box for a few months.

I put it away back in December because I was having issues stuffing everything into my case, which you will see below. I believe I am the first to use this... but I'm not entirely sure. Anyways, I was a bit puzzled by all of my wires after taking it out of the box, but after a few checks I only had around 3 or 4 that needed to be touched up. It wasn't that big of a rat's nest after all. LOL

So, after deciding on my project, I naturally wanted to use the Atari Lynx as my case. I had no desire to create a Frankenstein looking thing that had half of an NES controller on it, duct tape, and gobs of Gorilla Glue just to get it all to stay together. Even though it is one on my first real electronic projects, I wanted to make it look nice and make it playable.

I started off by taking out the Lynx guts. I sacrificed a few parts that I used in this project. But basically I was just going off of what I was reading online and trial and error. I ruined a few Atari 2600s in the process, and burned myself a few times, however I can't complain as the end result is pretty nice and will look great in my collection.

I'm not 100% finished with this. There are a few tweaks and a few issues that I want to iron out. At times I can play for a while with no issues, and at other times the screen likes to roll as though the vertical hold isn't working. I'm not exactly sure what this is. It very well could be battery issues. I'm not really sure. Right now I am running the entire thing off of 6 AA batteries. I did pickup some lithium batteries... I thought that might fix the problem, but it doesn't look like it. I am now thinking about taking it apart and redoing the Video mod. I did the old one because the local radio shack did not have the rights parts for the improved one. Oh well... I guess I'll get that later on.

The batteries will get replaced later if I can find an appropriate battery to run this (I am running a real Atari 2600 4X4, and the hip screen controller thing for the video)

There are a lot of extra things I want to do, but I may just save them for the next portable I do. I am considering starting a new one and using the Flashback 2 in it (but still adding a cart connector to it). Should be fun and I know it should leave a lot more room.

One cool thing I did: I kept the Lynx controller membrane intact and soldered all of my controls to that membrane (well... a connector that is). So the select button is Opt1 and Opt2. The reset is the pause button. obviously A and B are used for shooting and the directional pad works well.

Here's some pics of my project, and it running Pitfall.

Enjoy and let me know what you think! :)

post-3390-1249582004_thumb.jpg

Normal, innocent looking Atari Lynx

post-3390-1249582038_thumb.jpg

Another shot.

post-3390-1249582063_thumb.jpg

This is where things look a bit different. Cart port and also batteries under it.

Not sure if you can see my power switch dangling or not. It is a temp placement for now. Especially if I tear it down to redo the video mod.

post-3390-1249582229_thumb.jpg

Pitfall cart.

post-3390-1249582268_thumb.jpg

post-3390-1249582283_thumb.jpg

Running Pitfall.

:)

Next project (after I finish my Atari counter top project) I am planning on having rechargeable batteries inside of the Lynx so I can just plug it into a wall wart and charge the thing (like a DS ... sort of).

I also plan to add more options (difficulty switches, headphone jack, regular power, and perhaps an extra jack (I'll wire it so that I can use a paddle if I want to play any of those games).

I will more than likely use the FB2 for that project, so I will add a switch so I can play the FB2 games as well.

Enjoy....

Good job. So does the Directional pad work as the paddle too? :ponder:

No paddle on this version. I wanted to keep the front of the Lynx as clean as possible. In my next one that I do, I will but in a 3 inch screen, and I may work a paddle in somehow. I'm thinking rigt above or below the directional pad (off to the right a tad)

Like I mentioned before, I do have a video problem. I thought I resolved it, but it doesn't seem like it. I'll keep thinking about this one, but will need to put it on hold until after this weekend. At that point I may redo the video mod or start a new one completely. Hell.. I may just go ahead and start that FB2 one with the cart port. That will leave me more maneuver room.

Looks very cool! I love the form factor of the Lynx case--I'm surprised nobody's done this before! Which 2600 board did you manage to squeeze in there? I assume that's the stock Lynx LCD screen? LCD panels are so much better today in terms of picture quality and battery usage--would be awesome if you could use a more modern screen..

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very cool! I love the form factor of the Lynx case--I'm surprised nobody's done this before! Which 2600 board did you manage to squeeze in there? I assume that's the stock Lynx LCD screen? LCD panels are so much better today in terms of picture quality and battery usage--would be awesome if you could use a more modern screen..

..Al

Looks like I skipped part of your question. Sorry about that Al.

I used a 4 Switch Atari. I believe this particular one was the all black Atari (vader).

I cut it up by using Ben's methods (4X4). It was a very tight fit.

The LCD, I answered below. However I am about to grab a PUSTOM screen that is a tad bigger and if I recall easier to use. This will enable be to save LOTS of room inside, and also help me with my battery situation. I still have an issue with the battery and the screen rolling after a little bit (due to not enough power going to my screen after battery drain)

The next version should be a lot better. This was my trial version. I believe I may do 2 of them, and sell one. Not sure yet. But I am thinking about adding a Paddle to this as well.

Good to see those Lynxs put to good use :D Ditto on Alberts Q's... what did you use for a board?

AX

The ones I got from you are still in a box. They will be used soon. I do have a good screen for one of the systems, so I may be able to save one of the Lynx systems and then 'recycle' the other into one of these projects.

I am thinking about using a FB2 in one of these (with a cart connector and a switch to access the on-board games of the FB2).

All of that will be a bit later. I am rebuilding one more soon (starting next week I think) and using a different screen. I think with a different screen I can solve my battery woes and screen issues. Plus I want to do a different Video mod then the old one I did.

Goal:

•  
  • Create a new one within the Lynx 2 body.
  • Re-use the battery holder of the Lynx 2 if not have lithium-ion batteries within the system that can be re-charged by simply plugging the unit in (no replacing batteries).
  • Possible Paddle controller
  • Headphones
  • Controller hook-up (?)
  • Possibly replace where I will add the cart connector so that the cart slides in like a lynx game