IGNORED

NEW Atari 2600 Game Shown

Crimefighter

That's right, a brand new Atari 2600 game was shown yesterday in Lombard, IL at the Video Game Summit. Only a select few people knew about this game being developed, and the finished product was set up to play yesterday. Footage of this new game will be posted later today on Youtube but I'll let you all speculate what it is, but here's a hint - they said this game could NEVER been ported to an Atari 2600.

(Those who were at the Video Game Summit - SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Let's see if they can figure it out!)

I think I got it, it's Knight Rider!

Ha. I almost said that one too.

Can we get a hint about what company originally put out the arcade game? Or maybe what kind of controller it uses?

T2: the arcade game?

Edited by Legend

Well I don't think the guesses are getting any more realistic...so I'm going to spill the beans now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5dJjVIsxLk

Wow. Impressive.

Star Castle for the Atari 2600 By D. Scott Williamson

Mr. Williamson did the impossible. ;)

I would like to know what bank switching / extra hardware is in the cartridge, if any.

In all fairness, H.S.W. would have been told to create Star Castle to work on the 2600 with certain limitations on game size, etc. So, if this version is using some exotic hardware or a larger than 8K banking scheme, it still would not have been possible for Howard to implement under Atari's constraints.

UPDATE - I watched the video again and noticed that the game is actually running on a Harmony Cartridge.

See: http://harmony.atariage.com/

If this is an unmodified Harmony Cartridge than there are only so many choices available for banking.

Edited by mwalden