IGNORED

I need advice on releasing a 2600 prototype ....

rob fulop

I have an unreleased prototype of a game that I made in 1984, soon after leaving Imagic. The game is called "Actionauts" ... it involves the user programming a little robot around the screen so that it can navigate itself through a series of mazes. The game was abandoned before it was completed due to the lackluster market for 2600 games at that time. It's quite playable, but lacks the "finish" and polish of a released title.

Anyway, I am considering releasing this game into the collector's market ... and am struggling with how to do this.

Do I :

a) offer the lone cartridge for sale as a one of a kind auction item ???

a) release a small number of signed and numbered copies, ala Cubicolor ... thus creating a "high demand" title ?? While I know a lot of people would like a copy of Cubicolor, this demand for the title has not one thing to do with the game itself ... ... it's the very fact that so few copies exist that creates the "buzz" around it.

c) release an unlimited number of copies of the game at a standard price, thus enabling a large number of collectors to own a copy of the title, at the same time, destroying any sort of "after market" ??

I'm really torn about this.

On one hand, I like the fact that Cubicolor has generated a certain "buzz" in this community ... any trading community ... be it stamps, coins, or cabbage patch dolls, needs a the "hard to find" rare items which exist only in a known finite number ... such things are the fuel that make the hobby exciting.

On the other hand, I'm aware that lots of collectors cannot afford the going price for a Cubicolor ... such prices are hardly set by me ... they are set by the community itself. I could easily burn another 1000 copies, hawk them for $10 each ... most likely selling out quickly ... and run out to the Good Guys and buy myself one of those cool plasma home entertainment units. But I already own a television set, and all I would really do is destroy the "buzz" that currently exists around the game.

So I'm sort of stuck here. What do you suggest? While I'm hardly allergic to money, my intent here is not really to maximize how much money this could be worth, I'm interested in how to best serve the interests of this evolving collector community.

Should I give everybody a cheap copy, or release only a few? That's the question I'm struggling with. I'll be interested in your collective thoughts. Thanks. Rob

good suggestion ... my only problem is I'm hardly in a position to add anything to the game ... it's sort of an "as is" sort of thing ... I don't have a 2600 development system ... and even if I did .. I long ago tossed out a printed version of the source code ... the game is a big jumble of op codes.

My preference is to release it "unfinished" ... you can find lots of unfinished works in any collector community ... the unfinished nature of the item hardly detracts from it's market value ... in many cases ... it's cooler precisely BECAUSE it's sort of "rough".

Rob,

Any number of people would be willing to help you set up a development system if you still want to polish that game.

As you already sound like you have the capability of burning the ROMS, all you are really missing is a commented decompilation and a Cuttle Cart. While I cannot decompile or comment your old code, I would be perfectly willing to loan out my CC to you.

Given that it is unfinished, I probably wouldn't buy it.... I collect to play not to pay :-) I think your best bet is to sell the one prototype you have for gobs of money to a real hardcore collector, and provide the community with a dump of the ROM, so we can play with it and have fun with it without deminishing the value of the collectors cartridge.

I'm sure you'll get some knowledgable replies from Tempest and this site's admins soon, Temp has a great site at www.atariprotos.com.

But from my lay opinion and watching the community the last few years the best scenario to both make money and to release the game into the community has been to sell the prototype/original game on eBay or through a private sale to the one person who wants it the most. This usually fetches a high price but comes with the condition that the rom will be publically distributed after the sale. That way you or some dealer like AtariAge can sell cheap reproductions of the game for anyone who wants it and the collector who bought your original still has a one of kind item, autographed and documented by you ;)

Rob,  

Any number of people would be willing to help you set up a development system if you still want to polish that game.

As you already sound like you have the capability of burning the ROMS, all you are really missing is a commented decompilation and a Cuttle Cart.  While I cannot decompile or comment your old code, I would be perfectly willing to loan out my CC to you.

Or a flash cart ;-) there a several talented programmers here that can fix up the code or help you get the tools you need to do it yourself but it is most likely better in it's current state.

Hey Rob,

I am happy you are thinking about releasing this. I recall talking to you at World of Atari (1998) about this. I was wondering if we (the Atari Community would ever get to see it).

Here is my opinion.

Why don't you make it available to everyone as a regular cart (say through AtariAge) and also make a special edition (maybe signed and numbered copies available for hardcore collectors)? I think everyone one wins this way. You make some money, gamers get to play it, and hardcore collectors get a chance to own a limited copy of a special edition.

Perhaps, a special edition could contain extra insights on your experiences with Atari, Imagic and what led you to create such a game as this in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW: Thanks for asking.

-Lee

Rob,

Why not consider something across the board:

A set of 25, 50 or 100 carts in Special Edition format that you personally sign and number with a little certificate. These will be more expensive and more elusive giving an "air" about them and satisfying collectors who look for such things.

Then do a normal set of non-autographed carts are a low price that all can afford without breaking the piggybank and they can to own the "real-deal" to collecting and playing on their consoles.

Finally, release the ROM openly to the community so that those who just want to try it out in Emulation have the opportunity and can have some fun as well.

You should talk with the guys here at Atari Age, they've got all the components and such to help you out with the production and the Store Front here as well and you could also consider "spreading the wealth" and perhaps consigning some to the small handful of reputable "brick & mortar" dealers still around like B&C, Best and Video61.

Just some suggestions, hope they help.

Curt

I agree with Lee about this. Maybe a special limited edition of 50 or 100 that have a box, special label, autographed, etc. Then also release it indefinitely in the form of a standard cartridge and manual. You can even still sell the prototype as plenty of people will still pay high dollar for it even if the ROM has been released.

Everybody wins in this scenario, in my opinion.

I'll throw iny my two cents - first off, absolutely release the ROM to the public, if for no other reason than to preserve it.

I'm more in favor of a general release; unlimited number of carts at a lower price point. I still don't think the 'premium' carts sell all that well - AA still has copies of Realsports Basketball, for example.

If you do end up polishing it, add a custom splash screen or something, perhaps release it exclusively at a convention, and jack the price up on THAT one. 8)

I'll generally pay $20-$30 for a good homebrew or reproduction cart. But I always try before I buy via emulation, too.

But I also agree with everyone who says to auction off the prototype on eBay. That's where your big sale will be.

BTW, Rob, thanks for Misssle Command!  That was (and still is) one of my all-time favorites!

Yes, mine too! :thumbsup:

And Rob, thanks for letting so much space in the kernel, so that I could add the code for my Trak Ball hack. Hope you like it! :)

I agree with Curt and Lee. A limited edition for the collectors and normal carts for the people who just enjoy playing the old games.

If you want some help to do extra polishing of the game, please contact me.

I'd say sell the original cartridge and make a little cash. Then my vote would be to finish the game and do it as an unlimited release here at Atariage. You can get great support from the 2600 programmers on the Stella list. Thomas actually disassembled Cosmic Ark a while back. I'm stretched pretty thin right now but would be willing to help where I can (maybe if you need some music.) ;)

IMO, the "limited release" market is getting pretty flooded. I don't think any of the CGE special releases sold out and I think there are still boxed copies of all that stuff still available. $40-$50 is pretty steep for a 2600 game and most people just can't afford to buy a bunch of them.

-Paul

I'm not sure that it should be finished. I guess that would be up to Rob. Trying to complete something that started out as an original idea 20 years ago, loses some of the magic with all the hindsight that we now have.

Finish it, yes, but make sure the original is preserved and allowed to be enjoyed by eveyone else as well. I'd vote for any number of guys in this forum to polish the game. 'd just make sure the original is available for everyone.

I'd say that to sell SE carts at a reasonable price through AtariAge would be the best bet. (finishing it first would be nice)

AtariAge is basically the most honest group of people on the internet, and the collectors here are all sincere. This would make the most people happy, and you would make a little money too.

Brad

As a persistent collector, I have to set limits for myself, otherwise the mortgage doesn't get paid. Here are the limits: $40 for a finished game, $20 for "unfinished". A box and manual would add value to the purchase even if it is unfinished. A so-called Special Edition with a number and a signature would not add value.

I would like to see a limited signed release only and you can sign me up for it right now. I don't think there will be a need to do a big run because more than 1 person is going to dump it anyway and reproductions will be made if you like it or not, that is just the nature of the beast. Of course you can beat people from dumping it and giving the dump to AA to sell reproduction copies, at least that way you would end up with some royalties which you more than deserve.

Anyway, just rambling ...

I personally would actually be interested in obtaining the one and only cart you have, I say stick it on eBay and let us battle it out. :)

Regards

-R

So evidently, Rob, the answer is "all of the above." :)

Good to see you again. Keep in mind that not all of your listed options are irreversible, should you change your mind.

CF

P.S. For the record, folks, I think it's unfair to keep asking him to finish the game. It's a nightmare designing for the VCS, and his question dealt more with the nature of making a prototype available (note the subject line) than whether or not he should re-learn the nuances and quirks inherent in coding for an antique console.

Hello Rob. I am just a simple Atari collector who is not too interested in getting first copies of this or prototypes of that. My five year old son and I, well, we just like to play fun games and we couldn't be bothered with spazzing out over old games that are hard to find. If this is a good game, we want it- and we probably wouldn't EVER own it if you make it hard for me to get. Atari Age makes it easy for folks to find good, new games for the 2600. My son and I like this alot. I have turned him on to Atari first so that he doesn' t get a taste fot the violent, over-priced, gimicky games of today. We would buy it for say... $15 if there were good reviews and the game looked nice. Also, if the game in your opinon is not finished and you don't want to finish the product and make it marketable, why not consider finishing the game and putting a smile on my son's face by putting out a quality game that was designed to be enjoyed?? I am trying to give you an honest and accurate appreciation for what the average Atari fan thinks. I hope this helps.