IGNORED

A dead Lynx needs your help, please!

hagbard

Hallo!

First I want to say that I'm a newbie to hardware problems....

I just bought a Lynx II at ebay, because of the carrying pouch. Included was a dead Lynx II (no lifesign).

I read the forum messages here and was very happy to see that this problem is known. I read that it would be a problem with a "Q12" (whatever that is) and opend the Lynx. I found a white rectangle on the board named Q12 and there is no part at all. It seems that there was a part, because of soldering signs there.

My question is what part must be there? What is it look like? Has anybody a photo of the lynx board as orientation?

I thank you all for your help!

Greets, hagbard!

Before you start to dig for the correct replacement you could test your Lynx by simply plugging in an external power supply and connect a wire from the power supply ground to the ground wire of the Lynx motherboard (eg. headphone-ground).

It should power up automatically without a need to press the Power On button.

Of course you need to have a cart inserted.

If the Lynx powers up then you need to do some shopping.

If it does not, then replacing Q12 won't help you.

The function of Q12 is to be the on/off switch. If you connect the ground of the power supply to the ground of the Lynx then the switch is bypassed with a wire. (It also means that your Lynx cannot be turned off).

It may sound strange that a on/off switch switches the - lead and not the + lead. Anyway that is how the Lynx works.

--

Karri

Hallo!

First I'd like to thank you for your hint! If I short circuit the powersupply ground with the earphone jack ground, the Lynx's backlight and the power LED turns on and I can hear a click from the speaker.

But the game doesn't start and I can't regulate the backlight or is that the way it is?

Has anybody an idea how to continue the resurrection or is the Lynx ready for the bin?

Greets, hagbard!

• 1 month later...

I have a spare Lynx II that behaves exactly the same way: turn it on and the speaker "pops" and the backlight comes on but there are no sounds and the screen is black. Also, the contrast dial doesn't affect the screen. I wonder if this is a common problem?

I get this behavior whether I power it with batteries or through the DC plug. Interestingly, if the DC plug gets jiggled, the Lynx will shut off, indicating a not-so-perfect connection.

When I bought the Lynx there were corroded batteries in it. I took the Lynx apart and wiped away what corrosion I could.

A Google search isn't much help as there doesn't seem to be much info on repairing Lynx's.

I guess one could swap components from a working Lynx to troubleshoot. I haven't tried this because I'm afraid of frying my one good Lynx. Discarding the non-working Lynx is not what I want to do, especially if there is an easy fix!

Multi-player Warbirds so close...yet so far away.

The Lynx II I just got in had battery leagakge also...corrosion all over the place...I took some comercial grade contact cleaner and took it apart completely to clean it. I got all of the corosion out of it and cleaned everything I could inside - all plastic parts with Armor All then blew it out with canned air.

After about two hours work it was alive and as good as new...I played Batman Returns for an hour...lmao.

When I got it in...it was dead though both DC port and batteries were futile. There are a couple of CAPS where right neard where the battery ports connect...you might want to check those and make sure they are ok...if you have or had battery leakage it could have caused damage to those CAPS.

Just a thought....

Mock :D

Hi!

Thanks for your hints. I reopend the Lynx II and looked for corrosion, but I didn't find any. The Lynx looks quite good inside, the only thing that makes me wonder is the Q12. It looks like that there was a part that is soldered out. I took a photo so maybe anyone can tell me if this is ok or a part missing? The photo shows the upper left of the Lynx board if the power supply jack is away from you. If there's a part missing, what part must I solder in there?

I hope the picture quality is ok...

Thanks for any help, hagbard

post-3126-1050572742_thumb.jpg