IGNORED

Someone seems to be auctioning off Gauntlet for the 2600

babble

I'm a little confused here. Al Backiel had a copy of Gauntlet which looked had the main label as Malagai but had a Gauntlet label on the end. However it looked like a production copy! Al sold it to Marco last year. Now Marco is showing a copy of Gauntlet that looks like a protptype, claims it's a production copy, and that it belongs to Rick Weiss. What's going on here?

Is the seller for real - is he known to the community then?

It seems to me that someone with some basic PCB skills and no scruples could make a fortune copying this cart and selling the copy on ebay every year.

Or is that me being naive?

Is the seller for real - is he known to the community then?  

Yes Marco is well known to the community. This is the real deal.

It seems to me that someone with some basic PCB skills and no scruples could make a fortune copying this cart and selling the copy on ebay every year.

Nope. If you look at the chip it's an official Answer Software chip not an EPROM. It's true someone could sell copies on Ebay, but they'd be on EPROMs not ROM chips.

Tempest

So this thing is worth a hell of a lot more than its weight in gold.

No wonder it's 600 USD at the moment.

[Now where can I get a supply of 'Answer Software' branded eproms...]

I am never going to complete my collection. Ever.

It's a masked ROM so you can bet it's not a homebrew but it can't be Gauntlet. The coin-op did not come out until 1985 and yet the copyright and date code of the chip is 1983......how can this be guys? This IC was made the 32'nd work week of 83, deduct 90 days to be masked (12 weeks) then add development time, it had to have been written in 1982.

So what game is it really?

Jerry

is this what the stuff looked like that the guy at Pleasant Valley Video made? i've seen the malagai cart with no label. and PVV was also supposed to have made cubicolor, halloween and texas chainsaw massacre carts with no label. it looks like the gauntlet ROM has been soldered to an imagic board.

so basically, you are buying an authentic ROM that has been attached to an imagic board, and stuck into an imagic cartridge with the original imagic label (atlantis, demon attack... makes no differenc) rubbed off. wow, i wonder how much one with an authentic label & cart would sell for.

is this what the stuff looked like that the guy at Pleasant Valley Video made?  i've seen the malagai cart with no label.  and PVV was also supposed to have made cubicolor, halloween and texas chainsaw massacre carts with no label.  it looks like the gauntlet ROM has been soldered to an imagic board.  

so basically, you are buying an authentic ROM that has been attached to an imagic board [...]

This is pretty much the case, yes. That handwriting is Jim Redd's, of PVV. Mind you, some of the stuff he sold may be on EPROM. The Answer stuff on the other hand, he had tubes of chips, and put them in whatever carts he could dig up. Basically, he'd gotten the end of the Answer production run as I understand it, but they had more chips than carts.

This is pretty much the case, yes.  That handwriting is Jim Redd's, of PVV.  Mind you, some of the stuff he sold may be on EPROM.  The Answer stuff on the other hand, he had tubes of chips, and put them in whatever carts he could dig up.  Basically, he'd gotten the end of the Answer production run as I understand it, but they had more chips than carts.

So how many Gauntlet and Malagai chips were in that run - or is that knowledge completely obscured? I assume it must be quantifiable given there is a high rating for acquiring either of these games in the 2600 guide.

This is pretty much the case, yes.  That handwriting is Jim Redd's, of PVV.  Mind you, some of the stuff he sold may be on EPROM.  The Answer stuff on the other hand, he had tubes of chips, and put them in whatever carts he could dig up.  Basically, he'd gotten the end of the Answer production run as I understand it, but they had more chips than carts.

So how many Gauntlet and Malagai chips were in that run - or is that knowledge completely obscured? I assume it must be quantifiable given there is a high rating for acquiring either of these games in the 2600 guide.

Sadly, I never heard numbers, or even which he had more of, but supposedly a bunch of them got bulldozed under with the guy's barn and/or house.

Sadly, I never heard numbers, or even which he had more of, but supposedly a bunch of them got bulldozed under with the guy's barn and/or house.

more on this urban legend:

one of the other local cincinnati collectors visited jim redd. his barn was not bulldozed. he spent some time incarcerated. the stuff in the barn and outside sitting on pallets was exposed to rain and weather for a couple years. the stuff inside the barn survived better than the stuff outside. the recent Malagai sold by james redd/possum-glory on ebay was one stuck in a generic cart with a hand-written label. years ago, sam twiford received some of the Answer/Confrontation ROMs from jim redd, but was never able to get them on a board that would play the game.

oh, and james redd/possum-glory, says he is not jim redd, not related to jim redd of PVV, and any similarity is completely coincidental.

PVV must have had some pretty decent connections. they bought out the last games from Answer, Amiga (note similar hand-writing and labels on all the Off-Your-Rocker games), Wizard Video (hand-written halloween and texas chainsaw), Cubicolor (ok, more urgan legend here, some of the duplicate numbered carts are rumored to come from PVV), CVC (gameline modems), who knows what else.

slapdash, did you keep one of PVV's catalogs? it would be interesting to see all the stuff they had available before things went bad.

one of the other local cincinnati collectors visited jim redd.  his barn was not bulldozed.

Really... When did he visit?

slapdash, did you keep one of PVV's catalogs?  it would be interesting to see all the stuff they had available before things went bad.

I do, but... in a box somewhere I think.

I know he had just found some stuff like Clown Downtown and Brick Kick, but then disappeared. He did have all kinds of groovy stuff listed though.

little tip?

What kind of little tip?

eBay tells me it is pulled because they consider it Beta Software. There was nothing about the auction description that pointed in that direction. My guess is someone told them that this an illegal game. Which it is obviously is not: it is not a prototype, nor a review copy. I tried to contact them, but I've gotten automated responses from them so far only... :roll:

Cheers,

Marco