IGNORED

The ultimate 5200 paddle for less than $5

Dantaipan

I just picked up an UltraRacer PC paddle (originally intended for PC driving games) new for $6 Canadian. All I can say is HOLY CRAP! When combined with the PC-to-5200 adapter, this suckha rocks. Another nice thing is that it is close to the same shape and size as a 5200 controller. If you have a PC-to-5200 adapter, you gotta pick one of these up. Kaboooooooom!

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm...ultraracer.html

UPDATE: Just to give you an idea of how good this paddle is, on my second time trying it with Kaboom, I was only 109 points off from the score required to get the activision "bucket brigade" patch.

@Mock: I got it at an EB by me. There was one more on the shelf there. If it's still there when I go back I'm picking it up.

@badbrad: a couple advantages the UltraRacer is 1. great click buttons and autofire 2. there is a triger lever to control up and down movement. I tested it with centipede and I was suprised how good it was. Only disadvantage is you have to have both controllers handy. BTW, what's your high score with that paddle on Kaboom?

I had a similar controller for the Nintendo 64 and it was interesting to use with driving games, but I don't think I could recommend anything like that for a substitute paddle controller for games where a paddle controller rather than a steering wheel would benefit.

There was no official paddle controller released for the 5200. The pic in BadBrad's post is a paddle conversion that requires significant time and skill to put together. The N64 version looks significantly different:

ultra.jpg.

Lastly, have you ever tried to play Kaboom or Super Breakout with a standard 5200 controller? And speaking of driving games, it works great with pole position too.

There was no official paddle controller released for the 5200. The pic in BadBrad's post is a paddle conversion that requires significant time and skill to put together.

Its not that bad. I have built two so far with excellent results. Besides, there are mainly 3 games that really use the paddle (super breakout, pole position, and Kaboom). 2 bucks of epoxy, $3 switch from radio shack and 1 hour, I had my first one done. If you can use a hacksaw, drill and a soldering iron, this is no biggie.

I wonder if I should do a article w/pics about this?

2 bucks of epoxy, $3 switch from radio shack and 1 hour, I had my first one done. If you can use a hacksaw, drill and a soldering iron, this is no biggie.

Ya, but a good, spare working 5200 controller will cost you anywhere from $10-$25 to begin with.

I dont know, but I guess i am lucky. Found 2 5200 controllers and 2 sets of paddles for a whooping 3 bucks :D

2 bucks of epoxy, $3 switch from radio shack and 1 hour, I had my first one done. If you can use a hacksaw, drill and a soldering iron, this is no biggie.

Ya, but a good, spare working 5200 controller will cost you anywhere from $10-$25 to begin with.

You could always just convert a 2600 paddle for use with 5200 games, and not even hack a 5200 controller...