IGNORED

1200XL memory upgrade questions and Pal-NTSC Antic mod

Gunstar

I've been looking into available 1200XL memory upgrades and from what I've read, the Rambo XL 256k memory upgrade is comaptible with the 1200XL and it is also compatible with the XE's memory scheme of bankswitching, is this correct? Also, is the Antic PAL-NTSC upgrade compatible with the 1200XL? the only systems mentioned in the instructions are the 600/800xl and the XE machines...and, the instructions mentioned some software files that go with the mod, anyone know where I can get these? there is no file or link to them in the mod page. Maybe I don't need them anyway if I'm not going to change out the OS? I've read up more on this and apparently 90% of European software will work with just the Antic upgrade if I leave the OS alone...that 's good enough for me.

Im using the Rambo XL 256k on my 1200XL

the Rambo XL 256k memory upgrade is comaptible with the 1200XL and it is also compatible with the XE's memory scheme of bankswitching, is this correct?

Yes If get the Rambo XL Im need a copy of the intsall manual I can find my copy :sad:

Thanks Walter, but that doesn't answer the question of if Rambo is compatible with the XE's memory banking scheme to run the software designed for it. One example is Alternate Reality the Dungeon, if you have ever played this game, when it first loads up, it checks how much memory you have and how many drives are attached (up to 4) if you have ever played the game, then it will say it dectects either 128k or 256k of memory if Rambo XL is compatible with XE memory. If it says 64k, then it is not, and it only sees the first 64k of memory. Of course other app software like Atariwriter XE will work too if the memory is compatible...If your just using the extra memory as a ramdisk or something, that is not what I'm looking for...

Hi Gunstar,

yes the PALNTSC upgrade does work on the 1200xl computer too

nir

Thanks! that's all I needed to know, I'm going to do this mod to my 1200xl when it gets here then, make it my mod machine and leave my XE stock.

How about the software files that are refered to in the mod instructions, I haven't found those for download anywhere, or do I have to order the whole kit to get them, and, are they only needed if you go the whole nine yards and replace the OS too? the 90% software compatiblity issue is good enough for me with just replacing the Antic chip, so that's all I intend to do.

Also, does anyone know the pinnouts of the Antic chip? I'd like to just piggyback the two chips and have a switch to choose betweent the NTSC and PAL chip, but I need to know which pin is the VCC pin so I can install the switch wires on those pins. Usually the VCC is the last pin or one in the middle, but you never know, and I still need to no exactly. Is there a spec/data sheet for the Antic somewhere?

I've been looking into available 1200XL memory upgrades and from what I've read, the Rambo XL 256k memory upgrade is comaptible with the 1200XL and it is also compatible with the XE's memory scheme of bankswitching, is this correct?

I don't think so. Read this:

http://www.a8maestro.com/atari/info/memory...ry/simm1meg.htm

Bob Wooley is da'man! 8)

Thanks Callipygous, guess I better do this Bob Wooley 1200XL 1meg simm upgrade then, and forget the Rambo, I intend to use it for programs, not ramdisks...I have SIO2PC/APE for all the "ramdisks" and virtual drives I need! :D plus, I just happen to have 1 and 4meg 30pin simms laying around for a future ST upgrade I'm going to do (have more than I need), so I may just do even the full 4meg upgrade on the 1200XL! (WOW! then my XL will have as much memory as I intend to upgrade my STf too!) 8)

On the other hand, I have decided to do the initial Antic PAL-NTSC upgrade to my 130XE, modified a bit to MY liking(piggy back the ANTICS and OS chips for 50hz, 60hz choice, depending on the NTSC or PAL program I'm running), and then do it again to the 1200XL in the future.

I love these pre-made mods for me to use, so I don't have to start from scratch, but often I have my own ideas to add to the mix! :P

Archived