IGNORED

Jaguar DOOM Source Code Released!

Albert

DOOMBox.jpgIf you're an Atari Jaguar fan and would like to see how the Jaguar ticks, we're happy to announce the immediate availability of the Jaguar DOOM Source Code. The Jaguar received one of the earlier ports of this classic PC game, and it does a great job of capturing the feel of the original. The release of the Jaguar DOOM Source Code was made possible by John Carmack of id Software, Carl Forhan of Songbird Productions, and Bill "Burger" Heineman. To learn more and download the source code, please stop by our Jaguar DOOM Source Code page.

O.K. this is fantastic, but bottom line, what does it mean? Can a redone version of Doom be done for the Jag with higher res and networking fixed? With the usual fee paid to Id for their game of course. Or can it only be used for poking at and educational use? :D :? :D

O.K. this is fantastic, but bottom line, what does it mean? Can a redone version of Doom be done for the Jag with higher res and networking fixed? With the usual fee paid to Id for their game of course. Or can it only be used for poking at and educational use? :D  :?  :D

The most important thing would be the fix for the network. More then 2 players can be done I think but there was already a slow-down when doing networking with 2 players but that could be caused by the network error's maybe.... have to dig into the source.

The biggest problem seems the WAD file this is not a normal WAD file there are some specific bytes (extra) in it... But by looking at the code we maybe can figure out what these extra bytes do...

TXG/MNX

hmm just looked at the source at found out the serial port is programmed to a speed of 115200. Maybe we can use a lower speed, the system maybe works more stable. Maybewhen we use it at 57.600 it runs better....

We need to try it. This would be the easiest fix I think...

TXG/MNX

hmm just looked at the source at found out the serial port is programmed to a speed of 115200. Maybe we can use a lower speed, the system  maybe works more stable. Maybewhen we use it at 57.600 it runs better....

TXG/MNX

First thing you need to do is compile/link/run the existing code. Once someone manages to do that, then we can work on making it better.

Hi!

hmm just looked at the source at found out the serial port is programmed to a speed of 115200. Maybe we can use a lower speed, the system  maybe works more stable. Maybewhen we use it at 57.600 it runs better....

TXG/MNX

First thing you need to do is compile/link/run the existing code. Once someone manages to do that, then we can work on making it better.

I had no problem compiling it, but this may be because my Atari GCC 2.6.3 compiler was already set up properly (Thanks to Glenn, Scott and others).

Matthias

The biggest problem seems the WAD file this is not a normal WAD file there are some specific bytes (extra) in it... But by looking at the code we maybe can figure out what these extra bytes do...

It'd be nice to be able to use PC .wad files... And make it possible to read them from a CD-R! Woohoo! Unlimited levels! (Oh, and make it compatible with Matthias' ethernet cart!)

It'd be nice to be able to use PC .wad files... And make it possible to read them from a CD-R! Woohoo! Unlimited levels! (Oh, and make it compatible with Matthias' ethernet cart!)

PC wads? Maybe when we can 'crack' the JAG-WAD format, we can convert all wads that float around... but killing this network-bug would be the highest priority... because playing max. 5-10 minutes is not cool! when it crashes....

But I thought someone already did kill this bug when he was playing around with the source for the DOOM+ project I believe, can someone confirm this? I would love to see this patch...

TXG/MNX

I had no problem compiling it, but this may be because my Atari GCC 2.6.3 compiler was already set  up properly (Thanks to Glenn, Scott and others).

Matthias

Matthias,

Did you do any changes to the MAKEFILE? After extracting the reguired pieces of the Jaguar ROM I tried to do the MAKE command and got an error immeadiately. I guess something on my GCC isn't quite up to par.

Glenn

Hi, Glenn,

What kind of error(s) did you see? And yes, you probably will need to make some changes as indicated in the readme.txt -- there are some hardcoded paths for includes, compilers, etc. which need to be tailored to your directory layout.

And FYI, you don't need the extracted WAD file to compile the code, the two are entirely separate entities.

I had no problem compiling it, but this may be because my Atari GCC 2.6.3 compiler was already set  up properly (Thanks to Glenn, Scott and others).

Matthias

Matthias,

Did you do any changes to the MAKEFILE? After extracting the reguired pieces of the Jaguar ROM I tried to do the MAKE command and got an error immeadiately. I guess something on my GCC isn't quite up to par.

Glenn

No, as said, i just called MAKE and got it compiled.

I'll mail you a directory-listing of my GCC for comparison and my AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Matthias

First of all let me say this is wonderful news.

No, as said, i just called MAKE and got it compiled.

I'll mail you a directory-listing of my GCC for comparison and my AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Matthias

I would be grateful if you could send those information too. I guess setting up web page whit all those details would not hurt either :)

Cheers

Archived