IGNORED

Your greatest game-playing triumphs and worst defeats

Mind Master

...My greatest triumph was coming back from being down 11-1 and winning a game of Combat (tank battle) in front of 20 or so people at a party.

My most humiliating defeat was when my fancy new Wico joystick was outperformed by my friend and his ordinary joystick in a game of Decathlon.

A very nice triumph for me was when my Barnstorming (game 1) record of 32.79 was officially challenged on Twin Galaxies by another gamer. It took me weeks of playing to get that score. I thought I would never beat it, but I decided I must try, since my honesty was in question! Within 15 minutes, I achieved a 32.77 on VHS. I was elated :!:

Also, getting 1,000,000 on H.E.R.O. to tie Todd Rogers TG World Record and become co-champion with him on the console challenge on Snipercade! It took me about 45 days of INTENSE gaming to get this score. Luckily, I had been practicing a few days before the contest began and boy I needed it. Because I achieved the score around 11 PM on the last day of the contest!!! WHEW! :D

Defeats: Trying to get a perfect score on Stampede(99,999) or Robot Tank(144). These have eluded me for about 20 years. Perhaps one day! :twisted:

Triumphs:

- beating all four records of Starmaster (still better than Todd Rogers on at least one level) :)

- beating the known best time for a perfect Pitfall! game (IIRC ~01:40)

- finding the "deadly something" obstacle in C64 Thrust

Defeats:

- realizing that I have lost the polaroid (actually a Kodak) from my Pitfall! record :sad:

- completely losing on the "deadly something" obstacle in C64 Thrust :D

- still losing on Cosmic Ark's meteor shower even after I cheated with photocells for the horizontal axes ;)

Triumphs:

- 1st Place in the 1999 Atari World Championship at CGE

- 1st Place in the 2000 Atari/Coleco World Championship at CGE

- beating Todd Rogers at Ms. Pacman on every platform and having him admit that in an interview on RetroGaming Radio

- being nominated by my peers to Twin Galaxies' World's Greatest Gamers. "Considered one of the best players on the Atari 2600 platform, and the best Atari console player overall."

- being recognized by the Charlotte Observer in 1982 as the first person confirmed to break 1M points on Asteroids in the state of North Carolina (1,137,050 on 31 Aug 82 at Putt Putt Golf in Charlotte, NC)

- breaking 400k on VCS Turmoil (412,090)

- breaking 500k on VCS River Raid (522,240)

- breaking 600k on VCS Wizard of Wor (620,800)

- breaking 500k on Coin-Op 1942 (502,860)

- breaking 600k on Coin-Op Gorf (688,730)

- breaking 1M on Coin-Op Pacman (Turbo) (1,321,020)

- breaking 500k on Coin-Op Robotron (643,850)

Defeats:

- losing the Atari 2600 Timed Deca 2002 (unable to qualify on all games due to work and family considerations)

- finishing 3rd in the 2001 Twin Galaxies Space Duel Championship

- finishing 3rd in the 2002 Twin Galaxies Robotron Championship

- not having broken 500k on Coin-Op Ms. Pacman (489,260)

Erm, I was in the top ten of the NWC competition at Philly Classic.. for about the first hour or so. I still felt good about it! And at least in the Pokemon Puzzle Leage tournament, it took all three matches before I went down in defeat. :P

My greatest achievement is beating 2600 Double Dragon. It took me days of trying to finally get to the end. Also beating Secret Quest was a great thrill. I love games like this that have an ending.

I think my most frustrating and time consuming achievement was getting to the final maze of Jr Pac-Man. It took me a week of every night from 7pm-1am to finally do that.

My worst is still not being able to beat Solaris :x

Greatest:

1 mill on Laser Blast and getting a patch

1 mill on Chopper Command

First to top 100K on Gorf in TG database

Beating Todd Rogers at a game of Dragster at CGE2K :P

Conquering Spiderman for the 2600

Finishing Raiders of the Lost Ark without help way back when

Cracking 1080 on Dodge Em

3rd place in the 2000 Atari Decathalon

Worst:

Having Ron Corcoran beat my Gorf score 1 day later :P

Realizing what a waste of time 1 mill on Laser Blast is

Cant beat Solaris

Cant Beat Megamania

Cant figure out Pac Man patterns

How'd it work?

I used an original "Fischertechnik" relay and two photocells. Those two photocells where glued at the TV and triggered the left or right joystick direction.

In the higher levels the relay switched too slow so I made the TV picture very bright and then increased the voltage for the relay a little bit ;) But finally the vertical meteors killed me and I didn't have enough electronic parts for those. :D

Worst:

Having Ron Corcoran beat my Gorf score 1 day later :P

Manical laugh... MUUUUHHHHAAAAHHHAAAA!!! :D

Realizing what a waste of time 1 mill on Laser Blast is

Cant beat Solaris

Cant Beat Megamania

Cant figure out Pac Man patterns

VCS Pacman? I can help you there. I helped Todd out, why not you too? :)

Last year at CGE, I showed Todd my Game 6, Diff A pattern (and gave him a tape of same) and a light came on. He has improved his score quite a bit using his pattern and concepts from mine. Tote your butt back out to CGE and I'll hook you up. ;)

Ron,

I could also mention Dig Dug and a few other titles :P

For some reason on Pac Man type games I just cant remember the patterns or choose not to :) - I need to sit down and watch you play is prob the best way like watching Todd on Dragster and Barnstorming!

Triumphs - Too many too count. Probably beating Space Ace for the first time was the one that made me feel the best though.

Defeats - Having John Seghers (5200 Xari Arena and Gremlins) beat my ass badly at Tempest. I mean he was on the 20th level and I was dying on level 4!

Tempest

Its not Atari related, but here are my best and worst times.

Worst was a full length 400 lap NASCARRacing 4 league race at Dover Downs online with about 30 people. Was a miserable night to start with. Spun myself exiting turn 4 and crumped the front of my a car a bit with the minor contact I had. Lost a lap getting going again and caused a caution flag. Get going again and I get disconnected. I reconnect and I'm 5 laps off the pace. About lap 360 I finally manage to make up my last lap. There was a restart at lap 380 and I was the only one on the lead lap to take tires.

The car came alive for me like something clicked and I was actually good at Dover. I passed 20 cars or so in those 20 laps. On the last lap I was right on the leader. He pushed up in turn 3 and 4 and I duck under him. If nothing goes wrong, I'll have him at the start/finish line for the win. But the guy is also racing eztremely hard for the win and as we exit turn 4 side by side he spins his tires and loops the car down right into me. We both spin and someone else went on to take the win when we were only a few feet from the checkered flag.

Greatest moment was winning a 500 mile race at Talladega in a league using NASCAR Racing 2002 Season.

Yeah, they don't involve Atari sadly. :(

Worst Defeat: Not a 2600 incident but I have been playing Tempest 2K on the Jag (and enjoying the hell out of it). I thought I was getting pretty good and really feeling proud until my 15yr old came in and said "That looks cool. Let me try". Needless to say, he whupped me good, laughing and hooting about it and calling me loser. I left the room, hanging my head in shame, without seeing how far he finally got.

Payback time came at supper when I grilled outside and he ordered his steak medium rare and I well-done'd the sucker...black and crisp as the charcoal...hehehehehh.

Best Triumph: Again, not 2600 related but finding a fully functional Falcon030 at a Flea Market for $50.

Mendon

Worst defeat: Omega Race: There was a girl I liked way back then and she played too. So I started showing here my tricks and eventually she could consistently beat me at the game. So in the end I lost the game and the girl... lol

Greatest Triumph: One of my step-dads friends popping off that he could beat me in Galaga. I let him go first, and about 10 min later I got my turn. Four hours later I killed off all my ships and let him finish his game...

My best achievement was when I figured out a pattern (which I still know) on Pac Man and rolled the thing. Took 2.5 hours to do this after which point I just set the joystick on the floor and let all my pac men die.

My worst defeat is probably every time I play Moonsweeper. My butt gets a good waxing on that one every time. Almost embarrassing is my high score which isn't even 3000 points!

Greatest:

Beating Activisions Computer run on Dragster.

Finishing Worm Whomper to max 99,999,999 it took 8 real days.

Beating Bruce Jenner at Decathlon the first time i played the game.

Still being able to make high scores on the newer platforms .

and re-emurging in 2000 to be a pain in everyones ass when it comes to high scores.

The newer players finding out who ( Todd Rogers ) is.

Worst:

Having the switch box turned off at 26 million on Worm Whomper and the score was lost.

Having to play Skiing for TV crews while the camera's light shined on my game making me look bad and not play well.

Having no chance against ( Ron Corcoran ) at Ms Pacman for a high score.

Having the power go out before i saved a game of the Eye of the Beholder.

Well, my memory isn't as good as it used to be, and I can't recall any of my triumphs (I must have had some) :D So all of my gaming experiences fall into the "defeat" category...

Never finishing "Pitfall"

Never getting more than 3,000 on Stampede

Never going over 5,000 on Kaboom!

Ok, I did think of a few successes. Nothing spectacular now, but when I was 10 or 11 they were cool:

Figuring out the riddle in Riddle of the Sphinx

Finishing game 3 of Adventure

Finishing Raiders of the Lost Ark - I remember the excitement when I figured out the clues to finish the game and actually did it for the first time. I actually don't think I've done it since, but it was cool, especially since I did it before my cousin the self-proclaimed videogame god did :)

Yes, my life as a videogamer is full of disappointment :)

Tirumph!

Perfect score on Pitfall 2, and rolled Chopper Command at 999,900, and completed Starmaster with a qualifying score on the Starmaster level!

Defeat: No camera to verify my scores. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to Thomas Jentzsch:

Just curious...this is a full 40 seconds faster than the only two people known and verified to have gotten 114K with approx 1:00 even remaining.

I assume you are taking the left direction like everyone except myself, but that's quite a speedy achievement.

Have you submitted this to Ron Corcoran yet for TG verification, in case you wanted to be compared versus Neil Champman and Alan Hewston ?

Robert

Archived