IGNORED

How much is the most money you have spent on a single game?

Shawn

How much is the most money you have spent on a single game?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most money you have spent on a single game?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's hard to say how much I spent on one single game. The highest I've spent on three games is about $400... or maybe it was $450, I forget which. That was back when our South American friends were selling "ultra-rare" 2600 cartridges of Ikari Warriors, MotoRodeo and the original release of BMX Airmaster, all of which we eventually discovered weren't really quite so ultra-rare. I have no regrets, though. I bought them to play, not to brag about having a rarity 10 in my collection.

Ikari Warriors was the highest profile of the bunch, so that's the one that drove the total up the most. I guestimate Ikari occupied $300 to $350 of the final cost, so I picked that range for my vote.

The most I've ever spent on a single game was $64 for a pristine condition cartridge only copy of Castlevania Legends for the Game Boy. Controllers to play games with are another story though. I can hardly remember all the $200 to $300 custom arcade sticks I've owned over the years, not to mention the $400 I once spent on a RedOctane AfterBurner dance pad for DDR. It seems like I generally try to keep my games cheap and my controllers expensive. :lol:

For a then retail game it'd be $93.00 for Tempest 2000 with one day shipping from I think GameFan magazine.

Had to have it asap. Was worth it for me as I played it religiously forever, but man the money I use to spend on games when I was younger was just too much.

For retro gaming it was $78 for Resident Evil (N/M condition) on Sega Saturn earlier this year.

But it'd now have to be $84 for Rebooteroids for Jaguar.

I don't mind spending good money for games I enjoy though.

That type of investment and enjoyment lasts a lifetime.

Keeps my old ass young. ;) :D

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

Vectrex is my weakness!

Highest price single game would be VeCaves at $525. But then the seller wanted it back, so I got my $525 back. Found out after it sold he had put it up for sale again a few months later and the auction ended at $149! I would have bought it back for more. I even used my Star Trek cart shell and made a label and returned the clear blue shell it came in.

Game with Hardware?

3D Minestorm with the 3D Goggles, boxed, I paid $827. Couldn't get the 2nd color wheel so ended up buying another imager for $900. Kept the 2nd color wheel, and auctioned off the second imager and got $1400.

Apart from those, the 2 boxed Christopher L. Tumber Vectrex games Spinerama and Tsunami/Vix (Tempest/QIX) I paid $275.49.

Atari 2600 most paid for game has to be $150 for the Kickstarter boxed 8K Star Castle.

• Like 3

Vectrex is my weakness!

Highest price single game would be VeCaves at $525. But then the seller wanted it back, so I got my $525 back. Found out after it sold he had put it up for sale again a few months later and the auction ended at $149! I would have bought it back for more. I even used my Star Trek cart shell and made a label and returned the clear blue shell it came in.

Game with Hardware?

3D Minestorm with the 3D Goggles, boxed, I paid $827. Couldn't get the 2nd color wheel so ended up buying another imager for $900. Kept the 2nd color wheel, and auctioned off the second imager and got $1400.

Apart from those, the 2 boxed Christopher L. Tumber Vectrex games Spinerama and Tsunami/Vix (Tempest/QIX) I paid $275.49.

Atari 2600 most paid for game has to be $150 for the Kickstarter boxed 8K Star Castle.

Colecovision was my weakness about 2 years ago. Now it is Vectrex. Seriously an amazing experience on original retro hardware for vintage arcade style games. Recently I've been buying up ever Homebrew for the Vectrex that comes along. Really looking forward to the new Robotron style game.

Atari 2600 "Chase the Chuck Wagon," in the box with the instructions in great shape... $265 plus shipping from an eBay dealer in 2001.

I can still remember asking my girlfriend at the time to go into the living room... so that I could concentrate on dropping in my bid towards the end, and so that she wouldn't see how much I was paying for an Atari game!

After it was over and I'd paid, I discussed the game with the dealer. He admitted that he'd paid $10 for a batch of carts that included this one at a garage sale. :)

These days, I've got a wife and two kids, so I can't go throwing that kind of money around anymore. But, in retrospect, if I could go back to that fateful day in 2001, I have absolutely no doubt that I would have made the exact same bid and purchase.

$121 for a minty copy of Lunar: Eternal Blue on the Sega CD. Hardly a deal, but I love that series and it was the ONLY one I didn't own already.

Of course, this will likely be changing soon. I do own a Saturn now. ;)

Any chance there's another copy for $121?

Edited by adamchevy