IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

What say, all ye men? Will ye give as much Blood, as shall be needed to temper the steel?-Capt. Ahab So begins the task of Knight Rider 2600.

My goal, as the game's creator, is to legally extract all of the enjoyable bits of the KR tv show, and squeeze them onto a 4-8k Rom cart for the 2600. The drafts are finished, and now must be coded. (the fun part!) The game utilizes the 2600 TouchPad, with a plastic overlay that mocks the KITT instrument pod. The Pad rests in the center of a custom-molded joypad that mock's the KITT steering wheel, with a 4-way D-pad on the left handle, and the fire button on the right-fore handle. The finished Joypad feels very comfortable in the hands of the player, and the package as a whole should bring a smile to fans of the show The Joypad should also compliment other 2600 games, (Solaris, Enduro, Star Raiders, etc. ) and stretch the value of the estimated $50-$70 price tag. Ouch!, I know. The price may fall if licensing and production costs can be secured at a reasonable rate in batches of 1,000 or more. I don't intend to get rich from this project, but only to reward all of us KR geeks out there, whom wanted a KR2600 games 20 years ago, and have been patiently waiting for the game we always wanted. I will post drafts of the controller soon, and screen shots of the storyboards when legally permissive to do so. All feedback is welcome, this is a HUGE project, and should hopefully ship in time for the 2006 Classic Games Expo. Thanx, everyone. I look forward to your responses.

James "HardWork"

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What say, all ye men? Will ye give as much Blood, as shall be needed to temper the steel?-Capt. Ahab So begins the task of Knight Rider 2600.

My goal, as the game's creator, is to legally extract all of the enjoyable bits of the KR tv show, and squeeze them onto a 4-8k Rom cart for the 2600. The drafts are finished, and now must be coded. (the fun part!) The game utilizes the 2600 TouchPad, with a plastic overlay that mocks the KITT instrument pod. The Pad rests in the center of a custom-molded joypad that mock's the KITT steering wheel, with a 4-way D-pad on the left handle, and the fire button on the right-fore handle. The finished Joypad feels very comfortable in the hands of the player, and the package as a whole should bring a smile to fans of the show The Joypad should also compliment other 2600 games, (Solaris, Enduro, Star Raiders, etc. ) and stretch the value of the estimated $50-$70 price tag. Ouch!, I know. The price may fall if licensing and production costs can be secured at a reasonable rate in batches of 1,000 or more. I don't intend to get rich from this project, but only to reward all of us KR geeks out there, whom wanted a KR2600 games 20 years ago, and have been patiently waiting for the game we always wanted. I will post drafts of the controller soon, and screen shots of the storyboards when legally permissive to do so. All feedback is welcome, this is a HUGE project, and should hopefully ship in time for the 2006 Classic Games Expo. Thanx, everyone. I look forward to your responses.

James "HardWork"

What work have you done on it so far?

• Like 2

I just gotta say, YEAH RIGHT subtitle, "I'll believe it when I see it"

But for real, if anything at all is pulled off, it'd be cool, but it's highly unlikely. If licensing was granted, it'd have to be on a "per cart basis" as doing a game in production runs of 1000 wold simply be beyond a single persons budget, especially with a large, expensive custome controller.

Of course, if they have the cash, and are serious, then I fully support it, and will be looking forward to this coming sometime in the not to near future.

The drafts are finished, and now must be coded.

It seems to me that in a homebrew, a rough skeleton of a kernal should be coded before working out details like fancy controller setups, licsensing, target dates, end product cost, etc...just to see if the idea is workable on the 2600 hardware :P

Who is this guy? Anybody see anything in the Stella list?

• Like 1

What say, all ye men? Will ye give as much Blood, as shall be needed to temper the steel?-Capt. Ahab So begins the task of Knight Rider 2600.[snip/snip]

James "HardWork"

As I sat there programming in that now lonely room; the fire burning low in that mild stage when, after its first intensity it has warmed the air, it then only glows to be looked at; the evening shades and phantoms gathering round the casements, and peering in upon us silent, solitary twain; the storm booming without in solemn swells; I began to be sensible of strange feelings. I felt a - melting in me. No more my splintered heart and maddened hand were turned against the wolfish world.

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering game; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then fall to pieces, while still writing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned game!

• Like 7

No response from the original poster? Hmm....

Well, if it be a lark or just somebody extremely new-B, I still like the idea of a 2600 Knight Rider game. Last night (SciFi, 5-6PM) Michael and Kitt plowed through a quarter mile of lava! ;)

Will Knight Rider 2600 come out before Snider-Man's game? :P

I'd like to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not holding my breath. There are three problems with this idea that I can see

1. The idea of selling 1000s of these carts is completely unrealistic. Maybe 100-150 tops.

2. Licensing anything for purposes of creating a homebrew for obsolete hardware will never hapen unless the creator plans on taking a huge loss in revenue

3. This is probably Thomas playing yet another joke on everyone. :D

Thanx for all your input, guys and gals....Yes, the KR2600 effort is quite serious, and the Forum has raised some good points. 22 responses in 24 hours! Wow. I'm glad to see that the 2600 die hards are (mostly) looking forward to it.

1. Batches of 1,000 or more : This is the lowest production number that hits the balance of licensing fees and low production costs. Yes, the License must be arranged on a per-cart basis. Yes, some venture capitol will have to be raised for mass-produstion. I believe I have constructed a good gameplay dynamic with an excellent Joypad. When the prototype is finished, I believe the rest will be "easy", meaning that if you build, they will come.

2. The game may have to be released under a (slightly) different title if the license cannot be secured. Yes, Universal might believe that a 2600 title may damage the franchise.

3. Yes, I am new to this website. Yes, I'm a newbie programmer. Yes, I will ned help with coding. The prototype Jypad is finished, and I use it often with my 2600 Library.

4. the drafts and storyboards are finished.

5. Check the July EGM magazine for screenshots of the Joypad and overlay.

6. Great twist on the Capt. Ahab speech!

7. I havecalculated that there could be anywhere between 3,000 and as many as 10,000 2600 owning KR fans that would support the cause. I will provide my methodologies in the next statement.

8. This is no joke. It is a sincere labor of love to provide fans of KR the game we have always wanted.

9. Thanx for the input, keep it coming......

• Like 6