IGNORED

lost Ewok Adventure artwork found

christianscott

a small preface-

we had a plan, the New England Classic Gamers Group was hoping to release Ewok Adventure. we had the proto, the programmer, the PB shells and even discovered the correct artwork. alas it was not to be, even before we figured out how to tip toe around lucas arts our programmer broke the sad news that the 8k bankswitching issue could not be resolved. i guess somethings were not meant to be, at least not for us and not now...

so that being done i can at least bring some fruit to the table, the artwork. we've all seen the artwork in the PB catalog with the ewok and the stormtrooper but some have noticed how it doesnt exactly fit the game and lacks the polish of a regular PB label (think death star battle).

the following are relevant snippets from an interview scott stilphen did with the ewok programmer larry gelberg which you can read in full here

http://2600connection.atari.org/gelberg.html

LG: . The way PB marketed their games was pretty expensive: ad campaigns, packaging, etc. For instance, the cover art for Ewok Adventure was painted by Tim Hildebrandt (of Fantasy Art fame).

SS: Can you tell me anything about the Game I and Game II prototype boxes?

LG: Yeah, I remember seeing those images - they were just placeholders for trade shows and catalogs generated by PB's internal art department. Generally PB went out-of-house for much of the cover art. I used to have a copy of the Hildebrandt cover -it was pretty neat with an AT-ST shooting down a hang glider carrying a terrified-looking Ewok. I had a whole package of Ewok-related stuff - the cover art, a full printout of the source code, and another NTSC prototype that I gave away to a friend's brother about 15 years ago. He's tried to locate it, but thinks it might be in a moving box in a storage center somewhere in Connecticut. It might be worth trying to dig up!

well, here you go... i spent ages digging thru hildebrant' work, these guys did hundreds of star wars paintings but eventually i found the one. notice how even the frame shape and overlapping pieces match up to other PB star wars labels. all its missing is the title over the top.

http://www.brothershildebrandt.com/Images/atst.jpg

so thats the story, woulda, coulda, shoulda liked to have seen this game come out :) nice picture though...

And CPUWIZ wonders why there's a reserve on the auction!

11 cents, maybe I'll buy myself a new Porsche. ;-)

(Actually, to see why there's a reserve on the auction check the other thread...)

-rbn

I might be able to come up with a Parker Bros bankswitching circuit, it's one of the items down on my project list and I could move it up.

However, is there anyone else out there working on it? I'd hate to spend lots of time and get outdone by someone.

John

I want to win that auction so bad...

PLEASE, SOMEBODY FIGURE OUT THE BANKSWITCHING!

As I have told jsoper before, the bankswitching has been figured out a long time ago, how do you think emulators work ? All you need to do is translate the source code of the bankswitching in the emulator into a PLD and voila. ;)

OK, I was refering to implementing the bankswitching with three or so standard 74xx logic chips that any hobbyist without programming utilities could tinker up himself for fun.

Kevin Horton combined every bankswitch method into an FPGA years ago. He could market Ewok carts next week if he wanted.

Larry Gelberg, the author of Ewok Adventure for the 2600, has put his original source-code listing up for auction on eBay!

I received e-mail from Larry this morning...he'd seen my listing on eBay and let me know about his. I don't know if the same bidder will walk away with both items, but it certainly is an amazing opportunity for a serious collector.

As an old-school 6502 coder, I'm tempted to bid on Larry's listing myself!

-rbn

Larry Gelberg, the author of Ewok Adventure for the 2600, has put his original source-code listing up for auction on eBay!

I received e-mail from Larry this morning...he'd seen my listing on eBay and let me know about his. I don't know if the same bidder will walk away with both items, but it certainly is an amazing opportunity for a serious collector.

As an old-school 6502 coder, I'm tempted to bid on Larry's listing myself!

-rbn

I've been asked if I have a dump of my Ewok Adventure cart. The answer is no.

After answering no, I've been asked if I'd be willing to have the cart dumped. The answer is no.

Just as with the Lord Of The Rings cart I sold recently, and the rest of the carts I have, the purchaser of each cart will have complete control over when and how the ROM image gets out of the cart.

Hope this clarifies things.

-rbn

Yup - the picture on the Hildebrant site is the same one that Parker Bros. commissioned for the cover art of Ewok Adventure. I know because I had a copy that I ended up giving to a good friend of mine back in the 80s.

I emailed Tim Hildebrandt recently and he told me that Parker Bros. (or whoever owns them now) holds the copyright on the image although he still has it in his possesion.

Larry G.

:D

i looked into this last year when i first played the game. luckily i had a contact who worked for hasbro interactive, now part of infogrames. it went like this parker bros. was absorbed by hasbro which was in turn absorbed by infogrames which also aquired atari and recently changed its name to atari...confusing huh? back the ewok game, according to my contact the rights to the star wars license parker bros had in the 80's long ago reverted to lucas. so parker/hasbro/infogrames/atari no longer retains the ewok property, and lucasarts and/or their legal dept never responded to my emails. the trail goes cold...?

Archived