IGNORED

Are these prototypes?? Update: pictures Added

YOK-dfa

Hi,

Just received a lot of Atari 2600 games from some guy and i noticed 4 strange looking games. All of them are in a black casing with S.S. at the back and are without any labels. 3 of them have a yellow sticker on them with the name of the game and a number:

Astro War (83312)

Space Robot (83111)

Spider Kong (83414)

There's also one with a white sticker:

Condor Attack (83416).

Unfortunately i don't have any pictures yet, but i'll try to get a scan soon. Any chance these could be prototypes of some kind? :)

Cheers,

Raymond

I think I know them. I own myself one from this strange games. First I have too think they are Prototypes. But some other german collector found a complete boxed version from such a game, and so it is maybe no Prototype.

But the lable is strange, so I am not sure, what this is at all.

They are  Goliath carts which i think are just pirates. I thought that rainbowvision where the only carts with SS?? Could you posibly scan one of the carts with the SS visible?

The S.S. has nothing to do with the Rainbowvision numbers. Is just the case at the back, where stand S.S., like some Quelle cartridges. Someone in the past has think it stand for Star Soft. But who knows.

post-15-1060027240_thumb.jpg

I suspect these may just be really cheap labels, especially if these did show up boxed. If you open them up, are the chips ROMs or EPROMs? I suspect you might just find little black blobs rather than big chips though...

As to the whole "S.S." thing... 2600 Connection did an article about this -- it does not stand for "Star Soft", as that was just a made-up name. But it may very well stand for Suntek Software, as many of the boards in a variety of manufacturer's games say "Suntek" on them (others say "SAE" which is probably "Suntek Asia(??) Electronics". Rainbowvision most likely got their games from Suntek, and Quelle got a bunch this way too. It's not clear, but Suntek may have even made the cases, which would explain the "S.S." stamped into so many of them, despite apparent other companies selling them.