IGNORED

Does anyone know what this is

gamerz

I just got an atari 4 switch from a yard sale...it is strange. It says on the bottom that it was made in sunnyvale, CA. I thought only heavy sixers were made there. The bottom half of the case has the slots for six switch setup but it is covered with a thin piece of plastic...the top looks just like a woody 4 switch. It also has the number 078 branded on the bottom. Have you ever seen one of these? Says it is a 2600a but they were not made in sunnyvale are they?

The 2600A from Sunnyvale is from around 1980-81 just as the switch was made from the second rev of the 2 PCB "six switcher". The bottom housings were modified (via the sticker) to cover up the holes required for the previous revision to save on scrap costs.  

All 2600 production was moved from Sunnyvale to off shore in 82.

I don't think 4-switch consoles made in Sunnyvale are particularly rare. I have one, as do others who post here. Mock indicated he had one.

The only reason I was confused is that some 6 switches were made overseas...did they start production of 4 switches here then move it also.

It's my understanding that the heavy-sixer was only made in Sunnyvale and that the two subsequent models (light-sixer, and wood-grain 4-switchers) were initially produced both in Sunnyvale and overseas, then, in 1982, all production was moved overseas.

That's just what I have been able to piece together.