IGNORED

Hack-O-Matic ][ - A better, faster way to hack

Random Terrain

Hack-O-Matic would not work on my computer, so I asked the programmers at Blitzcoder if any of them could make a new version that would work and someone finally accepted the "challenge" and now it's available for download:

http://www.dacodez.tk/

You can see my thread at Blitzcoder called, Atari 2600 bin file editor needed if you are interested (I'm Random Terrain there).

Misterx, the creator of the new version, is constantly making the program even better, so be sure to check back for later versions that have more features.

Has anyone tried this new version yet? I think Misterx might add copy and paste and a Flip function that will flip the whole code in the near future.

I tried it! This new version works great!

Whereas the previous Hack-O-Matic would not hack Sprintmaster .. this new one does! So I've been busy this afternoon hacking the cars to look like the Indy500 ones!

BTW: I'm hacking Thomas Jentzsch's driving controller hack of Sprintmaster. So I'm hacking a hack! :D With the footpetal controller and the driving controller, this could be the best driving game for the 2600!

Working title: IndySprint

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Rob Mitchell, that's cool. I hope Misterx has time to add those changes soon so the program will be even better. And another thing, the copy and paste might also work outside of the program, so you could copy an image or a long strip of images and paste them into your favorite paint program such as Paint Shop Pro.

I still like AHD because it's easy to use (yes, I know you can't do too many games in it though but I think laz is working on that).

it would help if H-O-M II had instructions on how to change some items (like color) it might help.

Dan Iacovelli

Right now Hack-O-Matic ][ just lets you quickly load in a game, scroll down and change the shapes of images, numbers, and company logos, then save it and use it immediately. You can't change colors. I don't know much about AHD, but it sounds interesting, and it might become a really good program, but from the few things I have read, isn't it still a little bit of a mess? Unless what I read about AHD is old, I don't think you can load any bin file, make changes, save it, and play it immediately using an emulator. When AHD works with just about any bin file and doesn't require any preparation, then it will be very useful.

I still like AHD because it's easy to use (yes, I know you can't do too many games in it though but I think laz is working on that).

it would help if H-O-M II had instructions on how to change some items (like color) it might help.

Dan Iacovelli

Right now Hack-O-Matic ][ just lets you quickly load in a game, scroll down and change the shapes of images, numbers, and company logos, then save it and use it immediately. You can't change colors. I don't know much about AHD, but it sounds interesting, and it might become a really good program, but from the few things I have read, isn't it still a little bit of a mess? Unless what I read about AHD is old, I don't think you can load any bin file, make changes, save it, and play it immediately using an emulator. When AHD works with just about any bin file and doesn't require any preparation, then it will be very useful.

I did say that AHD can't do many games. and yes H-O-M ][ does load all bins fast (I tried with tempest 2600 and it loaded it fast) the one thing about HOM ][ is that if you don't know what your looking for in graphics that it will be hard to find. (as for color changing: theres a real long way to go about it (as long you know what to look for in a disambled game)

all in all very good improvement to the orginal.

Dan Iacovelli

cave,

it kind of sounded that way but it's no big.

as for AHD laz said that the next version he's doing is going to do color changing (he ran into a few snags along the way but he hopes to have

it fixed by mid august)

Still HOM][ is still a good improvemt on the orginal.

Dan Iacovelli

(btw: just call me Dan (or Dan@AVC) no need to be formal here)

(btw: just call me Dan (or Dan@AVC) no need to be formal here)

Thanks, I just copy and paste a person's user name for speed and accuracy whenever I reply, so it's no big deal (I don't have to type it). I hope someone posts something in the 2600 forum when the new version of AHD comes out because I forget to look in the Hacks forum most of the time.

I tried hacking Rhindle's hack of Return of Mario Bros for kicks.

I made all the turtles purple and they change color and the game is faster/harder to play now.

Not bad for a first try.

Now how am I supposed to tell what piece of code does what?

I made all the turtles purple and they change color and the game is faster/harder to play now.

Not bad for a first try.

Did you do all of that with Hack-O-Matic ][ or with AHD? If you did it using Hack-O-Matic ][, that's amazing because I can understanding hunting down shapes and changing them, but doing more than that using Hack-O-Matic ][ would be much harder.

That reminds me, does anyone think that someone will ever make a BASIC style language similar to Blitz Basic that allows you to easily create your own Atari 2600 games, then will compile the code to a bin file?

Even Atari themselves made Basic Programming, but I know someone could make something much better and more advanced for the PC. If the language could also read an existing bin file and convert it into the Basic language for editing, that would be impressive.

Not bad for a first try.

Did you do all of that with Hack-O-Matic ][ or with AHD? If you did it using Hack-O-Matic ][' date= that's amazing because I can understanding hunting down shapes and changing them, but doing more than that using Hack-O-Matic ][ would be much harder.

I think he did it with HOM 2,because you can't change colors with AHD (at least not until version 2 comes out) Like I said before it can be done if you look for it (usally it's the forth address after the sprite or playfield)

That reminds me, does anyone think that someone will ever make a BASIC style language similar to Blitz Basic that allows you to easily create your own Atari 2600 games, then will compile the code to a bin file?

Even Atari themselves made Basic Programming, but I know someone could make something much better and more advanced for the PC. If the language could also read an existing bin file and convert it into the Basic language for editing, that would be impressive.

I think it can be done, but then you need a assemebler to convert .bas to bin or if it's just striaight txt like distella does when you disassemble a program then you need a assemebler that undertstands the basics comnads to make a .bin.

any other thoughts.

Dan Iacovelli

Kepone, athough Dan Iacovelli has mentioned it twice, it's too hard for my tiny brain to figure out how you could change a color to something you wanted with any kind of control using Hack-O-Matic ][. Did you actually pick the colors, or was it random?

Nice job!

While I was able to get H-O-M working and did create a how-to for those many who were not able, it is good to see a version that doesn't require such efforts.

Suggestions for improvments...

Copy, Paste and Flip graphics features.

Impliment colour changes as with the program Atari-Hacking_for_Dummies.

Only because I have already seen some "monkeys" out there ask, "what does this do?"... put a brief description in the help list.

An undo/redo feature would be nice.

A CRC and Byte size display would really be great.

This way, especially for those like myself who keep archives, would have a quick referance. Also, adding the CloneSpy ID option!

e.q. download an unknown .bin from the net. The BIG List is great for naming files bin00xxx. So I load it up with HOM3

The title doesn't help.

The CRC might be a clue however. At the very least, I could run it against my database. If that fails, use the CloneSpy feature to get a close code match.

And while I'm diving into madness in hopes of a near all in one tool...

A double row display.

One that shows original code, not editable, but can be copied from...

and the normal one that can be edited and pasted.

Forward and reverse code listing, as many game graphics are "backwards" when viewed.

An in editor shelled box that could launce emu of choice to test the hack.

As apposed to save, load emu, load rom, test, exit, return to editor.

Just have the process automated.

A binary and hex value at the end of each line for quick referance.

post-3134-1060743801_thumb.jpg

Actually, I've never used the Homebrewing section for HOM2.

I just stumbled upon the different colors purely by chance.

I tried modifying another rom but must have fucked it up as it wouldn't play in StellaX or Z26.

It's too bad that this hobby seems to belong to the elitists.

Where does that leave everyday gaming fans like me who want to contribute a LOT more to the scene?

It's too bad that this hobby seems to belong to the elitists.

Where does that leave everyday gaming fans like me who want to contribute a LOT more to the scene?

Well, everyday gaming fans might have more power over the games after the new version of AHD comes out and/or if Misterx has the time, talent, and energy to improve Hack-O-Matic ][ with ideas he already has mixed with even more such as the ones Greg Zumwalt posted.

Things are looking good for us.

Hello! My first post in this forum and yes i'm the same misterx who made HOM2. I've read your requests and most of them seem useful and reasonable to add. Some of the though, like the automatic searching for color information is beyond my skills... I could code it if i knew some more about Atari 2600's inner workings. (i'm really not familiar with it....) Features that will be in the next version are:

- Copy, Paste

- Flip

- Binary and hex display at the end of the rows

And the list i'll probably add is (if not in the next version then later):

- An option to launch an emulator

- Two column display

- Some kind of CRC and ID values Greg Zumwalt talked about.

More to come later..... The Copy, Paste and flip stuff are already in. And as far as i know i only have one bug to swat dead (a bug that causes the display to flicker... Don't know why, i used the exactly same technique of drawing in a pixel drawing app i started earlier) So, stay tuned :D (And thanks Greg for your mail, otherwise i wouldn't have noticed this thread.)

(edit) Thought that a screenie would be nice :P

hom2shot.gif[/img]