IGNORED

Sega 32X...Worth collecting???

JagWarlord

How many games were there for it? At least the US? I'd also love to collect this.

But the problem is that I haven't seen too many 32X games on eBay. Not a big variety. But if I had a list, I'd know what to look for and ask for.

I think theres 30 or so games for the system. The only games that iv'e seen go over $10 is T-Mek and Spider-Man.

32X is a phrase that nauseates me just to think about. I went through two of the wretched things trying to get ONE to work (needed the second one just for the AV cable missing on the first one) and still got nowhere. I folllowd all the advice online, unhooked and rehooked everything multiple times, tried it on several different models of Genesis, and the closest I ever got was sound and no picture. I was so disgusted that in the end I +GAVE+ them away to a collector in Michigan - FREE. A few months later he wrote me that HE was giving up on 32X because the only good one he had wasn't working any more and he couldn't even use mine for parts. What does that tell you? EVEN PEOPLE WHO COLLECT IT KNOW IT'S CRAP. Wretched thing. I almost singlehandedly blame it for destroying Sega's reputation and for it being the moment they "jumped the shark" and headed down the road to straight out of making consoles.

Well, I've had my 32X for over a year now and no problems yet, though I'm not playing the thing 24/7 either.. I'm one of the few who really likes it but I have a fondness for mutant stepchildren.

My suggestions are:

Knuckles Chaotix, Space Harrier, Tempo, Kolibri. Star Wars Arcade is pretty good too, considering it's a dollar-common.

Is Knuckles like a normal Sonic game? Or did it have something extra? Well, besides the whole chain thing. What is that about? It's on my list.

It's about 'you best get me and play me because I am worthy enough to belong in Bratwurst's collection'. ;)

Okay, okay, a little more elaboration. It's a graphically pretty game. And I've picked up on enough subtleties to realize that it couldn't have been done on anything /other/ than a 32X for the time, but there's still a nagging feeling that it's unpolished and shoved out the door at the last minute. Definitely Sonic in feel, but doesn't have the oomph of S&K or Sonic 3. Still I like it, it's very relaxing to play and the rubber band system doesn't get in the way imo.

Is Knuckles like a normal Sonic game? Or did it have something extra? Well, besides the whole chain thing. What is that about? It's on my list.

It's about 'you best get me and play me because I am worthy enough to belong in Bratwurst's collection'. ;)

Well. I'm convinced! Where do I sign up?

I too know the frustrations of the 32x.I bought 5 of them so far.2 have stop working,BUT if I knew about this:

http://sonic-cult.org/articles/32x/

then I bet Id have gotten those to work as well(alas the are gone now....).Scroll near the bottom.I tried that out and they worked great after that.And also ,having just recently discovered,canned air ROCKS!!!!!I love this stuff and its been a major cleaner factor in my games.It was soooo easy to startup my SNES games the 1st time................. :D :D :D

I bought 2 used 32xs and NEITHER worked... I did end up buying a new one on ebay, and it works fine - but I'd suggest using it with a Genesis 2. I know it doesn't work at all with a 3 (at least mine?) and it looks like more of a hassle to connect it to the original Genesis.

A couple of the games are pretty fun, like Star Wars and Virtua Fighter - and I found most of them easily.

It's a shame the 32x was not designed better because the games really did show a potential "next gen level" of graphics and gameplay.

Exactly.I really wanted to see what the 32x could do.To see what 'miracles' the programmers could max out of the hardware.So much potential.Who knows,a few years from now we could see some 32x homebrews 8)

How many games were there for it? At least the US? I'd also love to collect this.

But the problem is that I haven't seen too many 32X games on eBay. Not a big variety. But if I had a list, I'd know what to look for and ask for.

There were 31 US 32x cartridge games and 5 Sega CD 32x games.

I bought a 32x off ebay a few weeks ago and still haven't played it, as I need an MD2 av cable. I know where I can get one from, like, straight away - but it's £19! And I've just spent £19 on the MD1-32X connector. :x

edit: Here's a good site I found while trying to figure out how to put the damn thing together.

http://members.cox.net/burningcorpse/32x.html

The 32x (like some other Sega stuff) is notorious for having connectors that corrode easily. The fix for faulty 32x modules is usually as "simple" as opening them up, carefully removing the ribbon, and cleaning it up. I put "simple" in quotes because I know that a lot of people get nervous about "do-it-yourself"-type affairs. But hey, it doesn't work already anyway...what do you have to lose? So give it a shot, and enjoy the few excellent games that were made for it. :)

The 32x isn't so bad... contrary to popular belief, some of the games are pretty good and a couple are even excellent.

**Virtua Fighter**

Shadow Squadron

Virtua Racing Deluxe

Doom

Blackthorne

Star Wars Arcade (SOME of it... some of it blows)

Kolobri

Go here for all the goods on the 32x... I don't think it's been updated, but it's a darn informative site

www.geocities.com/the32xmemorial

:)