IGNORED

2600 incompatibilities

vanman

People have complained about 2600 games not working on the 7800. I have heard that Robot Tank, Decathlon, Space Shuttle, Time Pilot, Kool-Aid Man and the Supercharger dont work. I have also heard that some people have gotten those to work. I have herd of other 2600 games not working on the 7800. So I ask you this question:

What games havent you gotten to work on your 7800? (Aside from Tigervision games)

Thanks,

Roger

There are two main reasons for the compatibility problems. The size of the cart slot and an addional circuit added to later 7800s but removed again from the last run or so.

The earlier models have the larger cart slot, which helps with compatibility, though a few games still have issues. The later 7800s have a smaller cart slot that causes more problems with carts when they don't quite go in straight. Workarounds are; either using the High Score cart or by making a cart slot extender. I have also heard of people sanding or filing away part of the cart slot collar to make it larger.

The additional timing circuit was added to the later 7800s to fix a compatibility issue between a few superchip 2600 games (most noteably Dark Chambers) and few of the original 7800s. However, the "fix" broke several Activision games (such as Decatalon, Robot Tank and Space Shuttle) as well as the Supercharger. You can remove this timing circuit to restore the ability to play these games. The fix is described here.

Kool Aid man has problems due to a bug in a few of the late runs of the TIA chip. This bug in the TIA chip also causes the same problem in some 2600 jr models.

I don't recall hearing of any issues with Time Pilot, but if it does have issues, it's probably due to one of the above problems.

Mitch

i believe my space shuttle works in my 7800, if its the game that is a blue cart and you launch then land a space shuttle, then mine worked.
;) How'd you get that thing to fit in there?But seriously,the only 2600 game I had a problem with is Space Combat (aka Space War)but other than that,Ive had no compatibility probs with the 'ol 7800.

My XonoX Double Ender Chuck Norris/Artillery Duel cart won't work. Seems I remember I managed to get it to work once. So it's problem is cart design probably, It simply doesn't fit good enough.

StarPath Supercharger works, once I get it in, and jiggle it awhile. I don't play it for fear of damaging my 7800. But I know it does work, and could probably be cut down, or the system to allow it to fit properly.

Kool-Aid Man. Works, but isn't playable. He bounces at the top left of the screen as soon as the game starts. I've heard other versions of the 7800 won't do this.

Haven't tried Decathalon, been meaning to, but always forget. These are the only 3 games I have problems with though.

Oh yeah, and CBS carts fight tightly and have to be pushed all the way in. It's easy to not get them in all the way, but when you do, they work fine.