IGNORED

HSW On Sale - Once Upon Atari

Buck

I have that DVD and have watched it. IT IS GREAT, GO GET IT NOW!!

Anyone else have DVD player compatibity problems with Episode 4? My Playstation 2, or with my DVD drive in my laptop computer. They play the video, but the sound of the people taling doesn't come thru. It does however play the audio on my DVD burner in my desktop.

It is a great DVD nonetheless, I like how Todd Frye was saying that he wanted to make an 8k version of pacman but managment said that if it wasn't 4k it wasn't going to be released. I think he made 2 or 3 million off of pacman, so if I were him, I would have released that piece of crap too.

It is a great dvd anyway.

Dear Gregory,

Here's the deal :)

Our original thinking was to cut the price for the holiday season until January 1st. However, you raise a very good point and there are many others in the same boat I'm sure.

So we decided to extend the price break until February 1st for those who cannot really deal with it until January. We will reassess in February, but you've got $29.95 until Feb 1 for sure! Guaranteed.

Thanks for letting me know about this,

HSW

I just placed an order for mine, too. Can't wait!

One minor quibble - I didn't see any place to specify a different shipping address. Usually, I have packages sent to where I work so they don't get jammed into my tiny apartment mailbox.

(Now if only Stella at 20 vol. 1 & 2 were available on DVD.)

hmmm Interesting -- so you're an editor of the tome that hosts <a href="http://www.ataritimes.com/classics/features/fea_101usesfor_et.html" target="_blank">101 Uses for E.T.-- Projects for the most useless of Atari games</a> <br>  *looking across the continent at HSW* :twisted: <br> perhaps we should raise the price just for this guy  :D<br>

or ...maybe not  ;)

(edited to add...LOL just noticed you wrote it too! )

I've actually come to appreciate E.T. since I wrote that last year. I actually prefer Raiders of the Lost Ark though. :D

Now were talking, I'm ordering my DVD copies in just a few seconds, thank you for the heads up Buck!!!!!

:o  :cool:  :thumbsup:

Glad to spread the word!

@Howard:

Looks like a few orders are coming your way! My usual 5% will be just fine for commission. :lol:

Buck

Anyone else have DVD player compatibity problems with Episode 4? My Playstation 2, or with my DVD drive in my laptop computer. They play the video, but the sound of the people taling doesn't come thru.

I have the same problem on the Samsung N-501 Nuon DVD player, as I detailed in another post. No clue why it happens.

Anyone else have DVD player compatibity problems with Episode 4? My Playstation 2, or with my DVD drive in my laptop computer. They play the video, but the sound of the people taling doesn't come thru.

I have the same problem on the Samsung N-501 Nuon DVD player, as I detailed in another post. No clue why it happens.

I think it has to do the way the voice audio was mastered in editing. The first three episodes are actually the last ones he edited, the last episode on the dvd is the first one done. So I believe it is the way it was edited and then the dvd burner didn't burn it right. Because they are obviously not pressed, and have purple backs as if they were burned in large quantities.

I have gotten it to work thru my desktop's DVD burner. My laptop dvd rom drive or my regular dvd player won't play that 4the episode voice audio.

IMO it is the best of the 4 episodes too, they talk about programming for the 2600.

First the happy! :)

The interviews so far are great! the production and editing of this is wonderful. Great job Howard! I havent even watched eps. 2-4 yet. The tarot cards are a neat touch. I wont say anything else about the contents for those who have yet to watch. Very well done!

Now for the unhappy:

I think it has to do the way the voice audio was mastered in editing. The first three episodes are actually the last ones he edited, the last episode on the dvd is the first one done. So I believe it is the way it was edited and then the dvd burner didn't burn it right. Because they are obviously not pressed, and have purple backs as if they were burned in large quantities.

I have gotten it to work thru my desktop's DVD burner. My laptop dvd rom drive or my regular dvd player won't play that 4the episode voice audio.

IMO it is the best of the 4 episodes too, they talk about programming for the 2600.

:( I have three DVD players. (Not including DVD-ROM drive on computers) My oldest one in the bedroom doesnt recognize the the disc. My second oldest one has similar problems to the ones described above. Except audio doesnt play on ANY of the episodes. On the newest one, (which is a DVD/TV combo on a 13" TV) Audio seems to work fine, although I havent tried episode 4 yet. So, as of right now, if I want to watch this, I have to sit in my daughter's bedroom.(or at the computer I suppose)

I suspect that this may be just rapidly aging DVD player tech. Anyhow the quality of the contents outweigh any tech glitches that one has to muddle thru. Again, Great job Howard!

Buck

Does the DVD by any chance have subtitles?

It would be really easier for me to understand if it did. If not, eh well. I'm looking for some more gaming history to watch or read up on.

Yeah, me too! beacuse Im deaf, so I would like to see subtitles on DVD! :)

Anyone else have DVD player compatibity problems with Episode 4? My Playstation 2, or with my DVD drive in my laptop computer. They play the video, but the sound of the people taling doesn't come thru. It does however play the audio on my DVD burner in my desktop.

My PS2 refused to acknowledge the existance of Ep4 and spluttered so badly on Ep3 as to make it unwatchable. It started experiencing problems late in Ep2. There should be a warning that it's a burnt DVD not a pressed one.

Buck said: "I think it has to do the way the voice audio was mastered in editing. The first three episodes are actually the last ones he edited, the last episode on the dvd is the first one done. "

Right on, Buck! Very astute.

First let me appologize to anyone who is having problems. I tested this on many systems (players and computers) but obviously missed some. There are many unsettled aspects of DVDology yet, and it is also true that this is a DVD-R and not a pressed DVD.

I have decided to do everything I can to make my next run a pressed run and fix the problem. The few people having issues should PM me if they can't enjoy the DVD and I will do my best to update you.

I really appreciate those who spoke up for the content. But I want everyone to be happy with their disc, so I will do everything I possibly can to fix it for those who are experiencing any trouble.

I am thankful that most people have not had problems, but I give you my word that I will do my best to make *everyone* happy. That was my goal with my games, and that is my goal with Once Upon ATARI (as it is with all my products).

Yars truly,

HSW

PS For those interested, the fact is that Episode 4 was mastered in S-VHS on a cuts-only system and did not have PCM (in-video) audio on the voice tracks because then I woulnd't be able to do insert edits without messing up the speech. This accounts for the different look and visual style. The others were done on a non-linear system (with Premiere).

Buck further said: "I suspect that this may be just rapidly aging DVD player tech. Anyhow the quality of the contents outweigh any tech glitches that one has to muddle thru. Again, Great job Howard!"

Thanks, Buck.

I got mine yesterday (talk about fast service!) and watched the whole thing last night. Very interesting, entertaining stuff.

The "Turkey Certificate" was priceless. :D

And Tod Frye is... well... I think he may have hit his head a little bit too hard on the sprinkler. ;)

For what it's worth, the DVD worked on my fairly-old JVC player without any problem. :thumbsup: