IGNORED

1977 Atari VCS Joystick found!

Rob Mitchell

I received a bucket of controller parts from a fellow collector (Thanks Al Backiel) and amongst the pile of rotting joysticks I found a 1977 Atari VCS Joystick! This is the 5 metal spring design and has the indentation on top of the shaft where the hexagonal name plate fits. It makes a click sound when you push the stick. It also does not say TOP on the north direction. So I'm going to put it all together and cap it with the Atari disc which you see at left which is my Avatar. Cool!

If anyone needs a replacement joystick cable .. PM me.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

heck,, I got about 15 of those;) ther are actually several different version of the first year models.. the earliest version being the ones with the real thing cord and at the end of the cord the atari logo is protruding instead of being indented;) I scored a 15 dollar ratty system about a month ago, not only did it have a pair of very early first year controllers,, it had one of the metal atari logo 'tops' that had fallen off over the years and some 'stuck' it to the top of the VCS unit;) man was I happy as all hell when I found that;) One of the best finds I've had. Just how rare (value?) are the metal tops?

it had one of the metal atari logo 'tops' that had fallen off over the years and some 'stuck' it to the top of the VCS unit;) man was I happy as all hell when I found that;) One of the best finds I've had. Just how rare (value?) are the metal tops?

Unbelieveably Rare! You and I are the only two people that I know of who have these hex discs! (See my avitar at left!) One other guy has a SEARS one.

Back in 1977-79 .. I had two of the SEARS hex discs .. now long lost .. These things always fell off .. I had one fall through the speaker grill console top .. and I sweated that it would short out something .. until I got the nerve to open up the console and remove it.

This was in 1977 and I was a young lad! I got my first look at the inside of the VCS then .. and then I just took the whole thing apart .. console .. sticks .. paddles .. keyboards .. driving controllers .. Funny I could figure out everything except those driving controllers .. which finally made sense when I plugged them into my Vectrex about 3 years ago!

i'm the "other guy" with the sears one. i really would have thought these hex discs would be found more often. they either had a very short run or the glue was so bad they nearly always fell off. the one i found did come with a boxed sears 6-switch, but the disc was stuck inside one of the gatefold game boxes. seems it stuck to the cardboard much better than the plastic.

they either had a very short run or the glue was so bad they nearly always fell off.

You should scan your SEARS disc. I wish I still had mine. :sad:

I think these sticks with the disc caps were available through part of 1978. The reason they fell off is because of constant abuse. And glueing aluminum to rubber is a bad idea anyway.

Remember that Atari offered a repair kit with 5 replacement springs as these broke over time.

So these sticks were just too complicated .. and Atari redesigned them and came out with the simpler, white shaft version in 1978 (?).

No need for a pic as the only cosmetic difference is the absence of the word, TOP, and the hex name plate on the top of the stick shaft.

I just sold one of the first year joysticks on ebay for 20 bucks. It wasn't in good condition, it looked like a dog chewed on the end of the stick (he probly ate the metal disc too) It had a hole in the top and it worked well, but not in good enough shape to keep for a collection.

I found one of these "metal discs" stuffed in a combat gatefold box a few years back.  I wouldn't even know what the heck it was if not for Rob.  I thought I told you I found one of these Rob.  I wish I had one of those indented joysticks to go with it.

I don't remember you telling me .. Ok .. that's three ATARI discs and one SEARS disc. Any others?

Al was going to display a 1977 stick with my disc at CGE a year ago .. but no one could find a 1977 stick in decent display condition.

Maybe you can get a stick from Povlok1?

... it had one of the metal atari logo 'tops' that had fallen off over the years and some 'stuck' it to the top of the VCS unit...

You're not from around Kansas City by any chance are you? I saw a system just like that which was sold out from under me at a flea market. That was a crappy day, I had stopped in on the spur of the moment and was a couple bucks short on cash, when another guy came up and bought it. Oh well, he had his young son with him. Hopefully the lad will experience some Atari goodness with his dad.

actually,, that 'dustin' guy on ebay who always selles the complete heavy sixers for 300-500 bucks on the feature.. he has one (or maybe two) of em,, he also has one of the atari disc,, he keeps buggin me for mine;) nooo way that going on the block, its sitting on top of a MINT first version, first year joystick. Skinny cable..

Just found this on eBay  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=3544&rd=1

Looks like yet another 1977 joystick with the Atari logo on top! Can't wait to get it!

I already have a pair of 1977 sticks but the logo disk is missing on both.  

Doug

But the guy who's selling them has a Commodore 64 with no C64 games, but it has 2600 games. What a clueless seller...

GOOD FIND, set of first year paddles as a bonus even..

Yes,

I noticed those too :)

I have a few sets of those paddles already as well as a pair of the first version Driving controllers with the Fuji logo and thin cable.

I have one of the Driving controllers that say Sears on it, I need a second to complete the pair. Anyone? :ponder:

I also have the original Sears Tennis paddles but no joysticks with the Sears disk yet!

Take care,

Doug