IGNORED

Lynx development in assembly language

rfvgyjm320

Is there a "Lynx for Dummies" kit anywhere for Lynx development in assembly language? I have downloaded a lot of stuff, but, it is mostly for C.

What are the most commonly used 6502 tools on a PC for Lynx development?

I have read the documents about the Lynx enviroment and think I understand most of it on the surface.

It appears that there is no character generator ROM, so you must use bitmap fonts or sprite fonts for on-screen updates for things such as scores?

Basically, I just need a way to start dumping code to disk so I can load it in a .lnx file for the Handy Emulator to get me started.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, there is no "Lynx for Dummies" kit - just a few "Lynx for Intelligent People" packages.

Of the available systems, it is a matter of personal preference what you use. I prefer using the original Epyx tools via an Amiga emulator since they include a fully functional ComLynx library. HMS used a commercial assembler and rewrote/improved the Epyx libraries. If you program for other consoles or handhelds, you might want to get one of the PD multi-cpu assemblers to make it easier to manage.

Some people prefer the BLL system as it integrates with the modified CC65 compiler. The BLL system also has an advantage in that its .O files are directly supported via Handy so you can test code modules without having to create cartridge images.

You are correct about the fonts. You treat text as any other sprite. There are routines in most packages available to make that task easier. The Lynx only has 512 bytes of ROM which is used to load, decrypt, and execute the cartridge header.

Harry

Thanks Harry,

I am still searching for the development enviroment to use, though I am skipping the Amiga. Nothing wrong with the machine, I owned one of the very first A-1000 machines in 1986, just no room in my home/office now as it is. With four cpu/monitor combos it is getting crowded

Though I do not program in C yet (I keep putting it off) I can tweak programs and currently I am using Manx C (though I have four other commercial C packages and Visual Basic).

Manx C supports Atari, Commodore, and Apple, 6502 amoung other things such as object/Intel files for ROMS. My 6502 assembler for the PC is written with Manx C.

The problem is all the source for BII and other programs use a syntax that chokes both Manx C and my 6502 assembler.

Besides the PD/freeware stuff, what else is there. Is the Western Digital stuff any good? There are no prices online for their package so the comfort/pain level of purchasing it is probably above my $100 comfort level.

Also, I want to be able to post code and such without having to rewrite it so others can use it or read it.

Since the Lynx does not have built in tools, what do you use for debugging tools? I look at some 6502 emulators, but, they do not seem up what I need for the Lynx.

I tried running some of my 6502 through lyxass and it hated it due to syntax.

As far as debugging, when Epyx designed the Howard Board, they topped all existing debugging tools of that time. Too bad it was a very expensive hardware solution that requires an Amiga for interface. It is nice to be able to stop your program at any point and go back a few thousand instructions/bus accesses to see what went wrong.